HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Hale Center Theater is moving to Sandy. A big F*** You to West Valley, and another big F*** You from Sandy to the other cities in the valley.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55...eater.html.csp
Perhaps Wise guys can take over the vacated hale theatre. They are in the same area and could use the extra space.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Perhaps Wise guys can take over the vacated hale theatre. They are in the same area and could use the extra space.
That's a damn good idea. Trying to get in and out of the current Wise Guys is a complete joke if anything is happening at the E-Center. Or whatever they call it now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:51 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
West Valley plans to buy up the land and tear up the old theater as well as The movie theater next door to make way from a future mixuse development. That's all I know for now.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:25 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
West Valley plans to buy up the land and tear up the old theater as well as The movie theater next door to make way from a future mixuse development. That's all I know for now.
I don't think I will miss Hollywood connections if it's demolished. Will me nice to see more density added to the area as it should have been done the first time that area was developed. I was 16 or 17 when that area was built up and was very much disappointed at west valley to allow the way the hotels, office and Hollywood connections to be spread out like they are. Growing up I thought it could have been a start of west valleys downtown if the land was put to better use. Now 15 years later it seems the city wants to fix that issue, giving the area a more urban feel. But only time will tell if they get it t work or not.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:11 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Yea I hope they go with something more Urban this time around. I too hate how all those buildings were laid out looking more like a strip mall then a downtown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:50 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Is it a prison or a jail? There is a difference between a prison and a jail. So please clarify if Portland downtown has a Jail or Prison.

Cleveland has a city Jail that is about 10 stories tall right in downtown, connected to the police and courts. Salt Lake City had a tall jail downtown in the past as well. It was demolished to make way for the Library, and now SLC houses longer term inmates in the county jail. There is a difference in the types of criminals housed in a jail vs a prison.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

The four story Residences at Fairbourne Station will break ground on the third week of March. So in about three weeks.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Is it a prison or a jail? There is a difference between a prison and a jail. So please clarify if Portland downtown has a Jail or Prison.

Cleveland has a city Jail that is about 10 stories tall right in downtown, connected to the police and courts. Salt Lake City had a tall jail downtown in the past as well. It was demolished to make way for the Library, and now SLC houses longer term inmates in the county jail. There is a difference in the types of criminals housed in a jail vs a prison.

I found this online:
Multnomah County Detention Center (MCDC)
1120 SW Third Ave., Portland, OR 97204
Facility Commander - Captain Mary Lindstrand
503-988-3051

MCDC is a 448-bed maximum-security adult local correctional facility located in the downtown Justice Center and operated by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office. MCDC provides security, control, custody, and supervision of county, state and federal prisoners. MCDC is the intake or booking facility for all of Multnomah County.
MCDC operates under comprehensive written policies and procedures governing inmate feeding, clothing, recreation, medical treatment, classification, safety, hygiene, program services, visitation, mail, and court access.
In recent years there has been a significant rise in the special housing needs at MCDC. Specifically, the workload has increased in the areas of Mental Health, Medical Transports, and Discipline Management.
In 2007 Deputies booked 40,785 people into MCDC. Some people were in custody for only a couple hours while others were in custody for long term sentences.
MCDC is staffed by more than 180 Deputies, Sergeants, and Command staff. There are also about 100 support staff. This support staff includes medical personnel, counselors, chaplains, educators, maintenance, property technicians, food service, detectives, facility security officers, and records technicians.
The Justice Center is a multiple purpose building that opened in 1983. The Justice Center houses, MCDC, the administrative headquarters of the Portland Police Bureau, Central Precinct of the Portland Police Bureau, some offices from the Multnomah County District Attorney, Multnomah County Department of Community Justice, and State Courts. When the Justice Center opened in 1983 it brought most of the areas criminal justice functions into close proximity with other government buildings and functions. The Rocky Butte Jail was closed when MCDC in the Justice Center was built.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:55 AM

Hale Centre Theatre’s bid for more taxpayers’ money creates drama

A conceptual rendering of what the expanded Hale Centre Theatre may look like.

Hale got $857K in ’12, asks legislators for $2M extra for a new venue.

By ben Fulton | The Salt Lake Tribune - 5 hours ago

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...unity.html.csp

...Hale Centre Theatre made a head turning request to the Utah Legislature for $2 million toward the estimated $65 million cost of its new theater. Citing its mission to provide affordable live theater to Utah audiences, plus consecutive sold-out seasons, HCT management hopes to triple the size of its current West Valley City theater

... Today, it’s the most successful community theater in the United States, both in terms of ticket sales and annual operating budget.

"They call us the theater from Mars," Sally Dietlein, the theater’s vice president and chief administrative officer, told The Salt Lake Tribune last March, when the theater announced plans to expand its facility. "Audiences are dying out, but not in Utah.

Hale Centre Theatre’s current West Valley City playhouse averages more than 400 live shows a year — a remarkable schedule that rarely leaves the theater dark...

Last edited by delts145; Mar 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:22 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Isn't their original building on Main Street and sunset av still vacant?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 8:29 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I wasn't aware that Carmike had any plans to close are sale Hollywood connection.. Is the new Megaplex at VFM hurting them that bad?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 12:00 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I wasn't aware that Carmike had any plans to close are sale Hollywood connection.. Is the new Megaplex at VFM hurting them that bad?
Don't know the details other then the city bought the land and have plans to redevelop the area. Don't know how much time carmike has left before they close.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 5:00 PM

From what I have heard/read, I understood that WVC told Hale Theater that they were willing to purchase adjacent property to accomodate an expanded theater. Now that they're going to Sandy I'm not sure why they would purchase the property.

Also, what are they thinking on the design of the new theater. It looks like it's straight out of a Thomas Kinkade painting--which is not a compliment.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:14 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

As far as Hollywood connection goes.. It's not a place that I personally attend but I don't really like the idea of ripping down 10-15 year old establishments when there is so much garbage that does need to be redeveloped.

Speaking of which wasn't the 49th street Galleria suppose to have Ben sold and ripped down for commercial development? The available sign is still up.. Anyone know the story with this? Hopefully they do something with it..

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Also, what are they thinking on the design of the new theater. It looks like it's straight out of a Thomas Kinkade painting--which is not a compliment.
But it IS a compliment for so much of their clintele. Which is both damning and sad. And sad. And damning.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:33 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

As for the property purchase to expand the HTC, I believe it was simply a portion of the parking lot, and they didn't plan on tearing down Hollywood Connection. As for the redevelopment of the redevelopment of the area, I think it is probably laid out on their master plan with new uses and zoning, but it doesn't mean it is coming down any time soon. It is simply a guideline, so that when Hollywood Connection does fade away, the city won't have to scramble to rezone it, because it will already be zoned according to their wishes.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 6:36 PM

So I noticed that they are adding another 4 floor building to the "Arts Space" Residential area on 900S. I also Noticed a 3 story Residential complex going up just off of 3900 south, accross the street fromt he Trax station. Any News on these projects?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSaltlake View Post
So I noticed that they are adding another 4 floor building to the "Arts Space" Residential area on 900S. I also Noticed a 3 story Residential complex going up just off of 3900 south, accross the street fromt he Trax station. Any News on these projects?
Meadowbrook Station apts, or are they building more there?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:21 PM

Its not Meadowbrook Station. The Project is on the East side of the trax.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:11 PM

This is the project under construction near the Meadowbrook TRAX Station: http://method-studio.com/work/housing/millcreek/

Also the Arts Space project on 800 South is building a second phase south of the existing buildings towards 900 South. It will add 45 units to the project. They also own more property in the area so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd phase in the near future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West