HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.13%
Get rid of it 97 52.72%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Does anybody seriously believe that the "dope" (aka Justin) would have become leader of the Liberal party, let alone PM, if it had not been for his name? He was a young school teacher with virtually no political experience - just five years as a junior MP in opposition with no ministerial experience.
Wasn’t he enrolled in a second undergrad program when elected?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Wasn’t he enrolled in a second undergrad program when elected?
A third, perhaps? Doesn’t he have a B.A. and a B.Ed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A third, perhaps? Doesn’t he have a B.A. and a B.Ed.
Wikipedia says he was enrolled in a Masters in Environmental Geography at McGill when he left to go into politics. He already had a BA from McGill and B.Ed. from University of British Columbia. Studies Engineering at Ecole Polytechnic.

Sounds like someone trying to "find himself" and figure out what he wants to do with life by bouncing around different university programs. That is a sign of someone from a family with money.

For the rest of us who don't have deep pockets at that age, your forced to figure that our quickly.

If he was a royal, he would have done that in the military.

I don't know him personally and have never been introduced. My one any only interaction with him was being behind him and an aid in line at the airport in Vancouver once. Back then I had elite status with Air Canada. Was behind him at check-in, at security and getting into the lounge. Him and his travel companion spent the entire time talking about doing this or that event to gain new party members. He probably has a good contact list given his background and family background.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Quote:
Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

A statement issued by the palace just after midday spoke of the Queen's "deep sorrow" following his death at Windsor Castle on Friday morning.

The Duke of Edinburgh, who was the longest-serving consort in British history, had returned to Windsor on 16 March after a month in hospital.

Boris Johnson said he "inspired the lives of countless young people".

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband," the palace said.

"The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."

Speaking at Downing Street, the prime minister said that the duke had "earned the affection of generations here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth, and around the world".

Meanwhile, Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said he "consistently put the interests of others ahead of his own and, in so doing, provided an outstanding example of Christian service".
Quote:
Prince Philip and the Queen had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

Their first son, the Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, was born in 1948, followed by his sister, the Princess Royal, Princess Anne, in 1950, the Duke of York, Prince Andrew, in 1960 and the Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward, in 1964.

Prince Philip was born on the Greek island of Corfu on 10 June 1921.

His father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, a younger son of King George I of the Hellenes.

His mother, Princess Alice, was a daughter of Prince Louis of Battenberg and a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

RIP Your Highness.

I always appreciated your devotion to the Queen, and to your calling. You will be missed.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:25 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

RIP, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. (1921-2021)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:27 PM

He was two months away from the Queen writing him a century birthday letter. Must be so sad for them as a family.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:27 PM

RIP to HRH.

The last of an era. He will be truly missed.

A great man in every sense of the word. He put his duty above himself and only retired in his mid 90s.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 4:03 PM

RIP Phil the Greek.
A sailor to the end!

Fair winds and following seas sir!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Married for 73 (!!) years

hearstapps

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Married for 73 (!!) years
The Queen will surely miss him terribly.

She is a strong woman however with a firm sense of duty and purpose. I fully expect she will still be on the throne when she reaches her 100th year.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Queen will surely miss him terribly.

She is a strong woman however with a firm sense of duty and purpose. I fully expect she will still be on the throne when she reaches her 100th year.
I agree. Perhaps the only person in the UK with a stronger sense of duty than Prince Philip is the Queen. Amazing woman.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:27 PM

Sorry I am sad that DMX died today some old Mr burns type royal that had a perfect life doesn't mean much to me.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Philip had a hard life when growing up.

Quote:
He was forged by the turmoil of his first decade and then moulded by his schooling. His early years were spent wandering, as his place of birth ejected him, his family disintegrated and he moved from country to country, none of them ever his own. When he was just a year old, he and his family were scooped up by a British destroyer from his home on the Greek island of Corfu after his father had been condemned to death. They were deposited in Italy. One of Philip's first international journeys was spent crawling around on the floor of the train from an Italian port city, "the grubby child on the desolate train pulling out of the Brindisi night," as his sister Sophia later described it.

In Paris, he lived in a house borrowed from a relative; but it was not destined to become a home. In just one year, while he was at boarding school in Britain, the mental health of his mother, Princess Alice, deteriorated and she went into an asylum; his father, Prince Andrew, went off to Monte Carlo to live with his mistress; and his four sisters married and went to live in Germany. In the space of 10 years he had gone from a prince of Greece to a wandering, homeless, and virtually penniless boy with no-one to care for him.

"I don't think anybody thinks I had a father," he once said. Andrew would die during the war. Philip went to Monte Carlo to pick up his father's possessions after the Germans had been driven from France; there was almost nothing left, just a couple of clothes brushes and some cuff-links.
BBC

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:41 PM

Sorry I have no respect for the royal family when they protect their rapist son Andrew from the law.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Sorry I am sad that DMX died today some old Mr burns type royal that had a perfect life doesn't mean much to me.
Sorry but Doom died a couple weeks back, someone whose best lyrics were woofing doesn't mean much to me. Phil never even had lyrics like the Queen doesn't have feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Who is DMX?

hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Philip had a hard life when growing up.
Philip is unpopular with some due to being in the "old white guy" camp and his association with the monarchy which made him privilege incarnate on a superficial level. Plus he made gaffes. But his privilege would not have saved him while he was on a ship being bombarded in WWII, the kind of experience most people in countries like Canada today are far removed from.

People may not like it but Britain and its empire really saved the world from authoritarianism in the 1940's. It was the only culture that fought on the right side effectively from beginning to end. I am not sure we would be up to a task like that today.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Indian politics are interesting too. Narendra Modi has been pushing to turn India into a Hinduism-oriented state, like how Pakistan is Muslim-oriented. When British rule ended in India, it became a pluralist state that at least on paper was not associated with any religion and avoided institutional discrimination against women. This fell out of British influence and culture, partly transmitted by British-educated people like the Gandhi(s) and Nehru. Modi does not have the same background.

The popular view of Britain and India in Canada is that a bunch of evil old white guys oppressed them and now they are free. There is a truthful aspect of this account but it's really fuzzy and one-sided way of looking at the situation. There was bad British influence that happened disproportionately in the early years of exploration and the Raj, but this influence modernized over the centuries and there were positive effects too. And India may soon be less free than it was a few decades ago when it had more British influence.

Are there many large pluralist nation states out there that aren't descendants of Britain in some sense?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:15 PM

But India had a long history as a diverse subcontinent with various united polities, and never was anything like a nation state. Isn't it fuzzy and one sided to attribute their post-independence standing to the British--affirming the consequent and all? You only have to look as far as Pakistan for a control group.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada