HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ pro teams are typically way easier to locate because the name of the city is most often VERY intertwined with the team brand, and the cities they are in are well-known, big name, major league cities in the first place (not including green bay), with some odd-ball exceptions like the Minnesota, Arizona, Carolina, and Colorado teams that use the home state's name in lieu of the city name, or the "golden state warriors", who have the most obscure location name in all of the "big 4" NA leagues.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ pro teams are typically way easier to locate because the name of the city is most often VERY intertwined with the team brand, and the cities they are in are well-known, big name, major league cities in the first place (not including green bay), with some odd-ball exceptions like the Minnesota, Arizona, and Colorado teams that use the home state's name in lieu of the city name, or the "golden state warriors", who have the most obscure location name in all of the "big 4" NA leagues.
Does the average american (who is apparently way dumber than I thought) know where Green Bay is located? Do people outside the midwest know the Packers play in Wisconsin?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Does the average american (who is apparently way dumber than I thought) know where Green Bay is located? Do people outside the midwest know the Packers play in Wisconsin?
The only reason anyone knows of Green Bay is because of the Packers.

If they had migrated to a nearby major city like Milwaukee back in the day (as all of the other small-market pro teams from the olden days eventually did), Green Bay would be as anonymous as Rockford, IL or Evansville, IN (similar MSA sizes).

The Packers are just a very anomalous holdover from a bygone era.

No one in their right mind would place a team in Green Bay in 2021 if you were designing a new major league from scratch.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
The only reason anyone knows of Green Bay is because of the Packers.

If they had migrated to a nearby major city like Milwaukee back in the day (as all of the other small-market pro teams from the olden days eventually did), Green Bay would be as anonymous as Rockford, IL or Evansville, IN (similar MSA sizes).

The Packers are just a very anomalous holdover from a bygone era.

No one in their right mind would place a team in Green Bay in 2021 if you were designing a new major league from scratch.
Right. But do you think the average American knows Green Bay is in Wisconsin? I like to think so, but who knows

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
But do you think the average American knows Green Bay is in Wisconsin?
maybe, but only because of the packers.

and only because the team name is the "green bay packers".

if they were called the "wisconsin packers" or the "fox valley packers" or the "lawrence university packers" (to use a school analogy) or whatever, the brand strength of "green bay" would be massively diminished.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
maybe, but only because of the packers.

and only because the team name is the "green bay packers".

if they were called the "wisconsin packers" or the "fox valley packers" or the "lawrence university packers" (to use a school analogy) or whatever, the brand strength of "green bay" would be massively diminished.
Sure, but this is going back to the Notre Dame and Rutgers conversation about knowing they are located in Indiana/New Jersey.

I think it's obvious the vast majority of Americans have only heard of Green Bay because the Packers play there, but do people know the Packers play in the State of Wisconsin? Since apparently most Americans probably don't know Notre Dame is located in the state of Indiana?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Sure, but this is going back to the Notre Dame and Rutgers conversation about knowing they are located in Indiana/New Jersey.

I think it's obvious the vast majority of Americans have only heard of Green Bay because the Packers play there, but do people know the Packers play in the State of Wisconsin? Since apparently most Americans probably don't know Notre Dame is located in the state of Indiana?
Green Bay is the name of a city in Wisconsin. Rutgers is not the name of a city in New Jersey.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Green Bay is the name of a city in Wisconsin. Rutgers is not the name of a city in New Jersey.
and?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
and?
What about the name "Rutgers" would expose that it is in New Jersey? The name has no association with its location, unlike Green Bay.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
What about the name "Rutgers" would expose that it is in New Jersey? The name has no association with its location, unlike Green Bay.
Right, but Green Bay is a random town that just so happens to host an NFL team. The question is do people know the City of Green Bay is located in the State of Wisconsin?

Green Bay MSA is about the same size as Greeley, CO - Do people know where Greeley is located?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ you seem to be insinuating that "Rutgers University" has the same level of national brand recognition and awareness as "Green Bay Packers".

it does not.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Right, but Green Bay is a random town that just so happens to host an NFL team. The question is do people know the City of Green Bay is located in the State of Wisconsin?
A person that pays attention to football would know. The brand is strongly associated with Wisconsin (e.g. cheese heads), even if the name of the team isn't the "Wisconsin Packers". Rutgers hasn't typically had a very strong sports program, nor does it draw many students from out-of-state. There hasn't really been a lot of opportunity for people who don't live in the NY or Philly media markets to get awareness of the school.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
^ you seem to be insinuating that "Rutgers University" has the same level of national brand recognition and awareness as "Green Bay Packers".

it does not.
I'm not, and I don't think it does. I do think Notre Dame has the same level of nation brand recognition and awareness as the Packers (or at least close enough).

I'm not sure what point you think i'm arguing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am not American but I am a geography buff and a gridiron football fan.

I definitely know that Green Bay is in Wisconsin and have since I was a kid. I also know off hand that Notre Dame is in South Bend, Indiana.

I know that Stanford is somewhere in the San Francisco area.

Berkeley I mix up - is in the LA or SF area?

I know that Rutgers is in New Jersey but have no idea what city it is in.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I do think Notre Dame has the same level of nation brand recognition and awareness as the Packers (or at least close enough).
yes, but the difference is that "Green Bay" is integral to both the team name and branding of the Packers,

whereas "South Bend" is not part of the team name of the Fighting Irish, and it takes a MASSIVE backseat to "The University of Notre Dame" in term of branding.

that is why "Green Bay" is a nationally known place name, while "South Bend" is an order of magnitude less so.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
yes, but the difference is that "Green Bay" is integral to both the team name and branding of the Packers,

whereas "South Bend" is not part of the team name of the Fighting Irish, and it takes a MASSIVE backseat to "The University of Notre Dame" in term of branding.

that is why "Green Bay" is a nationally known place name, while "South Bend" is an order of magnitude less so.
I think that is a fair point - I would assume people know where Green Bay is located, but in my mind it would be as common knowledge as knowing Notre Dame is in South Bend, IN.
Rutgers and/or Clemson would be a couple notches down on the recognition, but in my mind the average American is aware of their location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know that Rutgers is in New Jersey but have no idea what city it is in.
I bet most people in NYC couldn't name the town where Rutgers is located either. But they would know it's in New Jersey.

Unapologetic Occidental

Funny, but where I live a hot chicken is a sandwich made from leftover chicken from another meal, between slices of untoasted sliced bread and with some type of cheap gravy and peas dumped on top.

https://www.google.com/search?q=queb...A_enCA931CA931

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I bet most people in NYC couldn't name the town where Rutgers is located either. But they would know it's in New Jersey.
I just looked it up and it is in the city of New Brunswick. (I would have guessed Trenton, the state capital, if pressed.)

Funny, but I actually know of New Brunswick, NJ as I have distant relatives there who are descended from a migration out of the Canadian Maritimes in the 50s or 60s.

I haven't seen them in 40 years though.

Never heard of Rutgers in relation to New Brunswick though.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I would assume people know where Green Bay is located, but in my mind it would be as common knowledge as knowing Notre Dame is in South Bend, IN.
i would disagree with that.

i think the "average person" is far more aware of the general fact that Green Bay is in the great state of Wisconsin than the specific name of the otherwise anonymous town where ND is located.

Quote:
Rutgers and/or Clemson would be a couple notches down on the recognition, but in my mind the average American is aware of their location.
not in my experience.

the "average american" knows pretty much fuck-all about geography, unless it's super obvious stuff like "what city do the Seattle Seahawks play in?"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions