HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 6:18 PM

Dey's arena on Laurier near Elgin, home of the Ottawa Senators 1908-1923.

https://twitter.com/CapHistOttawa/st...40098322231296

Dey's arena, looking down Laurier in 1910. The church is the sole surviving building in this shot.

https://twitter.com/CapHistOttawa/st...40732127670273

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:50 AM
ARTchitecture

Rumour has it the new Calgary Events Centre is to be accompanied by an adjacent hotel proposal, with likely JW Marriott as the tenant. Similar to Edmonton. The hotel base will be lined with retail bays and apparently of a slim design but with a capacity similar to the Sheraton Eau Claire (323 suites). Very little info on the design of the arena yet though, and renders still likely 2 months out. The city and CSEC are apparently trying to nail the design and future-proof it. Exterior will include an abundance of retail options and a plaza kitty corner between the arena and new convention centre (which also has a plaza on that side). Keeping the arena around 19,000 seats, Scotiabank carrying over their naming rights from the Saddledome.

Construction starting in ~6 months.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 2:45 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Just a minor point but I heard Aug. for construction start so 8 months.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Rumour has it the new Calgary Events Centre is to be accompanied by an adjacent hotel proposal, with likely JW Marriott as the tenant. Similar to Edmonton. The hotel base will be lined with retail bays and apparently of a slim design but with a capacity similar to the Sheraton Eau Claire (323 suites). Very little info on the design of the arena yet though, and renders still likely 2 months out. The city and CSEC are apparently trying to nail the design and future-proof it. Exterior will include an abundance of retail options and a plaza kitty corner between the arena and new convention centre (which also has a plaza on that side). Keeping the arena around 19,000 seats, Scotiabank carrying over their naming rights from the Saddledome.

Construction starting in ~6 months.
Cool! Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 3:30 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Just a minor point but I heard Aug. for construction start so 8 months.
OH shit... I was thinking September and somehow still fucked it up

You are right, sorry about that.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:25 PM

Exciting times for Calgary. I hope Ottawa gets its time after our 2016-2019 false start. New Sens owner required.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 4:56 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:03 PM
ハルウララ

ECHL APPROVES TWO EXPANSION MEMBERSHIPS

"The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the League’s Board of Governors has approved expansion applications for Coralville, Iowa and Trois-Rivières, Quebec to begin play for the 2021-22 Season.

Coralville and Trois-Rivières are both owned by Dean MacDonald through Deacon Sports and Entertainment, which also owns the Newfoundland Growlers in the league. Coralville will play out of Xtreme Arena, a 5,100 seat venue which was completed in September 2020, while Trois-Rivières will play out of Le Nouveau Colisée, a new construction that will host 4,390 fans."

https://www.echl.com/news/2021/1/ech...on-memberships

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
while Trois-Rivières will play out of Le Nouveau Colisée, a new construction that will host 4,390 fans."[/I]

https://www.echl.com/news/2021/1/ech...on-memberships
Wow, well done Trois-Rivières. Not sure if this render from the announcement is worth anything, but:

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:31 PM

I've never heard of Coralville... it appears to be a suburb of Iowa City. I guess there's a bit of an opening for a hockey team given that the University of Iowa doesn't run a hockey program.

I would think the Trois-Rivieres team could do reasonably well given that TR is somewhat underserved when it comes to sports... not much there besides the baseball team and UQTR's teams. I guess the only question is whether people will know what the ECHL is and by extension, whether or not they'll care.

EDIT: Forgot the LNAH, although I'm not sure how much of a following it has.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:52 PM

I don't like how either arena looks on the outside. Iowa one looks like it could be in the parking lot of a big box centre. TR one is too white considering it's not surrounded by other buildings and will be used when the natural surroundings are also white.

One pet peeve of mine I've mentioned before. I don't like grey or really light neutral coloured homes on open landscape in the country because the curb appeal feels uninviting during those cold and grey months. The home would lack warmth when you pull up everyday.

In this case, the TR building looks way too cold to me. The Iowa one looks warmer, but architecturally is too big boxy. TR one has better design to me but needs more colour. THE arena in a small city is one of the landmarks for locals. Would like to have seen something that stands out more. Don't have the budget for something spectacular, but adding a little more colour would have been nice. I guess white and grey paneling is the cheapest?

https://www.tourismetroisrivieres.co...trois-rivieres

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I don't like how either arena looks on the outside. Iowa one looks like it could be in the parking lot of a big box centre. TR one is too white considering it's not surrounded by other buildings and will be used when the natural surroundings are also white.

One pet peeve of mine I've mentioned before. I don't like grey or really light neutral coloured homes on open landscape in the country because the curb appeal feels uninviting during those cold and grey months. The home would lack warmth when you pull up everyday.

In this case, the TR building looks way too cold to me. The Iowa one looks warmer, but architecturally is too big boxy. TR one has better design to me but needs more colour. THE arena in a small city is one of the landmarks for locals. Would like to have seen something that stands out more. Don't have the budget for something spectacular, but adding a little more colour would have been nice. I guess white and grey paneling is the cheapest?

https://www.tourismetroisrivieres.co...trois-rivieres
A lot of Quebec's hockey arenas seem to follow this plain white exterior trend. Colisee Pepsi, Centre Videotron, Place Bell and now this one. I find them bland as well especially in a winter climate.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve61 View Post
A lot of Quebec's hockey arenas seem to follow this plain white exterior trend. Colisee Pepsi, Centre Videotron, Place Bell and now this one. I find them bland as well especially in a winter climate.
The new Gatineau arena is like this as well. Not quite white but very light grey or silver.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

What about Centre Slush-Puppie - is it white ?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:01 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
What about Centre Slush-Puppie - is it white ?
Centre Slush Puppie mixes things up with an off-white. Another box.

https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/l...e28e3a7c4adca7

At least it won't be as miserable as the new-ish rink in Blainville.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Centre Slush Puppie mixes things up with an off-white. Another box.

https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/l...e28e3a7c4adca7

At least it won't be as miserable as the new-ish rink in Blainville.
Blainville's looks like an auto parts megastore or a skidoo, quad and seadoo dealership.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:05 PM

It's a bit hard to tell from the rendering, but from the outside, the rink in TR looks more like a local community arena meant for minor hockey and such than a venue for a pro team. It looks nice but it doesn't have any sort of grand or imposing presence.

By comparison, the trend out west has been to build WHL rinks with exteriors that look like mini-NHL buildings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Blainville's looks like an auto parts megastore or a skidoo, quad and seadoo dealership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre...ports_Rousseau

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:01 PM

It's interesting to read this review of Blainville's arena... it sounds like a bit of a throwback to a time when CHL teams typically played in modest community arenas as opposed to the more lavish professional-style venues they tend to occupy now.

http://www.qmjhlarenaguide.com/armada.htm

I'd be pretty thrilled if the Winnipeg ICE's ownership group built a rink like that.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:34 PM
ハルウララ

My issue with the Blainville rink isn't so much the exterior as it is the interior. It's quite literally a warehouse with a pad inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's interesting to read this review of Blainville's arena... it sounds like a bit of a throwback to a time when CHL teams typically played in modest community arenas as opposed to the more lavish professional-style venues they tend to occupy now.
The thing about the older CHL rinks are that they usually had a lot of soul and unique character. This arena is none of that.

I've been to the old rink in St-Hyacinthe and that place is...well it's the 70s, basically. I think the concessions were behind the players bench on one side in the tiniest hallway imaginable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada