HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Steadily moving towards construction. Can't wait to see this rise. One day One Vanderbilt, 30 Hudson, 30 Rock, the Empire State, the Freedom Tower, and the NY Wheel will all compete for my observation dollar. Can't wait for the time when I can try to experience all on the same day. Starting early of course.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:53 AM

^ Still over 2 years from construction. 4-6 months demo plus 1.5-2 years excavation. They just started demo of the main building.

Last edited by ILNY; Apr 15, 2016 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Steadily moving towards construction. Can't wait to see this rise. One day One Vanderbilt, 30 Hudson, 30 Rock, the Empire State, the Freedom Tower, and the NY Wheel will all compete for my observation dollar. Can't wait for the time when I can try to experience all on the same day. Starting early of course.
And like 200 dollars...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:52 AM

^maybe more with the new heights of these observation decks

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That would make for a great day, not to mention one hell of a feat.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
And like 200 dollars...
It would approach that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
That would make for a great day, not to mention one hell of a feat.
Yes, a great day, but a very challenging feat. I would have to start early, as soon as the first deck opens, and work my way around. Probably start at the Wheel, since everything else is in Manhattan.

http://therealdeal.com/2016/04/21/he...leasing-stats/

April 21, 2016
By Rey Mashayekhi

Quote:
The REIT also commented on its 1.6 million-square-foot One VanderbiltTRData LogoTINY office tower development near Grand Central Terminal.
The company is “still on track” to seal a construction loan “by the end of the summer,”
Holliday said, and will then focus on finding a joint venture partner for the project.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder who it could be? Bobby Flay? Gordon Ramsay?
========================

Food, fitness and fun-size retailers seek simple storefronts

Quote:
[...]

Connected to Grand Central Station, the upcoming One Vanderbilt will have retailers, including one “unbelievable” restaurant operator that will also run the top floors of the 1,500-foot-tall skyscraper. “It is truly focused on a world-class hospitality restaurant,” says Brett Herschenfeld, managing director of SL Green Realty Corp. One Vandy’s developer.

[...]
=============================
http://nypost.com/2016/04/19/food-fi...e-storefronts/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 4:07 AM
Show me the blueprints

Olive Garden

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 4:13 AM
New Yorker for life

I like the render. I don't really care about the restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:19 PM

I'd be interested to see how this effects GCT as a whole.

Given the (apparent) pre-success of the WTC transit hub mall (and to a lesser extent, Brookfield Place), I wonder if that whiny-ass Andrew Pension will attempt to create more of a retail/dining/transit experience than currently exists in GCT. It would make sense, especially in light of the re-zoning that will likely spawn several high end/prestige office buildings in the immediate vicinity.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 11:25 AM

another vantage point of the ongoing demolition

IMG_3061 by 401PAS, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:16 PM

^ Nice shot

Does anyone have any idea what the rate per floor that these buildings are falling at?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah good question and i wonder if its possible to even know that? i imagine it to be not as predictable as floor by floor construction often is.

they sure are making a lot quicker work of this tearing down business than i expected they would.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just a snippet from an interview:
=====================

Quote:
Commercial Observer met with Mr. Durels, a married Upper East Sider and father of a 25-year-old, in a conference room at SL Green’s offices at the Graybar Building at 420 Lexington Avenue between East 43rd and East 44th Streets. He talked about the uniqueness of the under-construction One Vanderbilt, adjusting rents and the coworking phenomenon.

How do you feel about leasing to WeWork and other coworking tenants?

Quote:
As a market segment, we’ve shied away from leasing to shared office spaces because of the credit risk. We’re fans of WeWork. We think it’s a fascinating business. In the past, we’ve actually leased to WeWork, at 315 West 36th Street last year [which SL Green then sold]. [Under] the right circumstances, we’d certainly do business with them again. But I think the broader conversation is the shared office suites business. That’s an industry that we’ve shied away from because our experience with that industry has always been a little mixed over the years. When times are good, it’s great. When the economy’s weak, they get themselves in trouble. Our focus is credit tenants, long leases, developing at maximum value.

SL Green’s under-construction One Vanderbilt office building is slated to reach over 1,400 feet in the air, making it the second tallest commercial building in Midtown after the Empire State Building when it’s completed in 2020. Is this your biggest undertaking to date?

Yes. And it’s got such unique characteristics as to be different than any other building ever built in Manhattan.
What makes the building unique?

Quote:
It’s a combination of its proximity to transportation, being right next to Grand Central Terminal and floor slab heights that are well in excess of any other building in the city at 14.5 to 20 feet tall. And because of the relatively low-height buildings that surround us and the combination of the very high slabs, you get these amazing views all around with 360 degrees. And it’s got an extremely robust infrastructure system to support the tenants. And it’s got architectural design that’s really very forward looking as far as at both the crown of the building and at the base of the building. It has a very, very dramatic architectural impact at the street level.
Who is the main competition for One Vanderbilt?

Quote:
I think we’re really one of a kind, quite frankly, you know, because of the size of the floors [ranging from 22,000 square feet to 47,000 square feet], when we’re delivering the building and the uniqueness of its design. I think our added advantage is that we’re a true Midtown location and the convenience that that provides. But I think what really differentiates the building beyond that is the quality of its design, the robustness of its infrastructure and the statement that it will make on the skyline and at the streetscape. If you really study the images of the building, it’s got an amenity package for the tenants where we’ll have a 30,000-square-foot tenant-only amenity floor. That’ll be a combination of auditorium space and sort of a social lounge-type space. We’ll have a world-class restaurant at the base of the building. And then we’ll have a very unique, most likely a cocktail lounge at the top of the building, but connected by elevators to the main restaurant.
Is a development like Hudson Yards be competition for One Vanderbilt?

Quote:
Tenants considering us will consider other marquis buildings in Midtown. I don’t think we’re competing against Downtown. I don’t think we’re competing against the West Side. We’re competing for those tenants that value a Midtown location and what that has to offer.
You have TD Bank as a tenant in 200,000 square feet at One Vanderbilt. What sort of tenants are you courting for the building?

Quote:
Primarily, the tenants that we’ve presented to have been in financial services, a couple of law firms and a couple of very large mature technology firms. But I would say 90 percent of the prospective tenants have been financial services companies.
What are the asking rents?

Quote:
Well, we’re not really quoting it publicly, [but] they’re going to be in line with the highest quality marquis buildings in Midtown, equivalent to 90 West 57th Street, the GM Building, the Seagram Building.
================================
https://commercialobserver.com/2016/...lt-and-beyond/

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:42 PM
DENNAB

That pic looking up is awesome

Quote:
SL Green’s under-construction One Vanderbilt office building is slated to reach over 1,400 feet in the air, making it the second tallest commercial building in Midtown after the Empire State Building when it’s completed in 2020. Is this your biggest undertaking to date?
Um.. what? It's taller than ESB in every way besides floor count.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 7:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yesterday in the rain

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 11:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Vertical Gotham

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:40 PM

Based on that render (and spire height of 100')it looks like the observation deck/top occupied floor will be in the 1150'-1180' range...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:27 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Same range as most of the others. The view will still be spectacular. And it's another public space in the sky for us. I say it's a win.

Here's that older view again...

https://www.hines.com/properties/one...rbilt-new-york

This is already a little dated...

Quote:
The development will include 1,408,000 square feet of new Class A office space and 32,000 square feet of new retail space. The building will be topped with a 60,000-square-foot observation deck that will occupy floors 57 and 58.

Excavation and foundations work is expected to take place from March 2016 through 2017. Vertical building construction will start in May 2017; the building is scheduled to be complete in August 2020.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:19 PM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 6, 2016

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive