HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:24 PM

I went by Point of the Mountain today and grabbed a few shots of some of buildings. There are a lot of other 5-6 story buildings but I didn't take pics of those.

Anyone know what this first building will be? Any specific company?

This is actually two buildings. WeWork and then Pattern and Rain Focus in the back.

The Oracle building is a few years old but still wanted to snag a pic.

Last edited by UV4EVER; May 26, 2019 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-15 View Post
I worked on Tooele County's transportation plan and everything we heard is that the Tooele valley has very poor water resources, water will always be a limiting factor to growth, and you will likely never see it develop like the rest of the Wasatch Front.

They did look at extending 201 west around the lake point to run parallel to I-80 into Tooele Valley as another possible transportation option to get into the valley, as well as some kind of improved road From Tooele up Middle Canyon to connect to Butterfield Canyon and Herriman, but I highly doubt the second option will ever happen.

I agree that Cedar Valley and especially southern Utah valley (west of SF, Payson) is where you'll really see the most growth over the next 20-30 years.

I-15, Could you expound on your comments about Tooele Valley and water issues a little more? I'm seriously interested. I know your familiar with L.A. Much of Los Angeles as you know brings the water in from afar. Is that basically what would have to happen with a metro Tooele, and at what point of the population would it become necessary? Tooele has been growing rapidly as an alternative to Salt Lake Valley. It already has about 70,000 people and shows no sign of significant slowing.

Plans are underway to pipe water over to St. George metro from Lake Powell. It will be expensive to build the pipeline, but they have no choice if St. George is to continue to develop as it has these past few years.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I-15, Could you expound on your comments about Tooele Valley and water issues a little more? I'm seriously interested. I know your familiar with L.A. Much of Los Angeles as you know brings the water in from afar. Is that basically what would have to happen with a metro Tooele, and at what point of the population would it become necessary? Tooele has been growing rapidly as an alternative to Salt Lake Valley. It already has about 70,000 people and shows no sign of significant slowing.

Plans are underway to pipe water over to St. George metro from Lake Powell. It will be expensive to build the pipeline, but they have no choice if St. George is to continue to develop as it has these past few years.
I think we already pipe all available water from Central Utah into the Wasatch Front. I'm not sure where water would come from for Tooele.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:35 AM

That's what I was wondering? At what point will Tooele have to bring in water and from where? Would it come from out of State, say the north?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 11:22 AM

LDS Church to demolish five buildings at Provo MTC, replace with plaza garden, statuary and quiet study places

After 40 years of slump block classrooms, dank dormitory buildings and faulty heating and air conditioning systems, remnants of the 1978 Provo Missionary Training Center are coming down.

“The church is planning to demolish five buildings in the center of the Provo Missionary Training Center complex and replace them with open spaces and study areas,” said Daniel Woodruff, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. “These buildings are older and have not been in use since the new training buildings were completed in 2017.”

Woodruff said the demolition is expected to begin in the summer...

The LDS Church will demolish five building in the upper left of this aerial shot, and replace the buildings with new parkland and study areas. Courtesy Intellectual Properties

Last edited by delts145; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:55 PM

Ag vs development: Spanish Fork mulls transfer of development rights to preserve Riverbottoms

Katie England, Daily Herald - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...f9307b7be.html

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 4:22 PM

I saw this new CNBC clip on McKinsey yesterday and noticed it has at least 3 clips of Provo in it! Pretty nice clips that look like they were filmed at the Utah Valley Convention Center.

Full Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmm...ature=youtu.be

Provo shot 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmm...youtu.be&t=250

Provo shot 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmm...youtu.be&t=265

Provo shot 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmm...youtu.be&t=328

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:25 PM

Major Piece Of FrontRunner Puzzle Coming To Fruition

Genelle Pugmire, for the Daily Herald - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...982547b86.html

Vineyard receives federal grant to clear way for UTA FrontRunner location

https://archive.sltrib.com/images/20...h_052517~9.jpg

...The money for the Vineyard Rail Consolidation Project will help “relocate two miles of Union Pacific track that bisects Vineyard, thereby eliminating three public crossings, two private crossings and two inactive crossings to make room for residential and commercial growth, including an intermodal bus and rail stations,” according to the grant press release. The project will cost close to $18 million, Fullmer said. The money is coming as a combination of local, state and these federal funds...

..“It’s a very momentous thing for us, the state, other cities, the Utah Valley University (and) the people who first started the discussion,” Fullmer said. “There have been phone calls all day. I called our recent mayor to let him know it happened — we did it.”...

...“We’ve been working on this project for 12 years and we are all really excited about it,” said Jake McHargue, city manager. “This is the last piece to the puzzle and we feel excited to have this come in.”...

...“For over 13 years, those of us working on the Geneva project along with the city of Vineyard have worked tirelessly to find a way to remove the spur line from Geneva Road,” Park said. “Because of the multiple facets of the project affected by this deal, it is one of the most exciting developments that had happened to Geneva. The benefits to the project and the city will be significant.”

Val Peterson, vice president of finance and administration at Utah Valley University, said this gives the impetus the school needs to move forward with its expansion plans.

“It allows us to revitalize the Geneva site and Geneva Road from a hard industrial use and run down road to be used as a key component to the expansion and restoration of the Geneva corridor in UDOT’s plan, Orem’s Geneva renewal project and invites retail, businesses, and new possibilities and access for UVU’s master campus and sport campus,” Peterson said.

According to Peterson, “It allows for light rail to come into the multimodal hub to move students through the Vineyard and Orem campuses, and onto the BRT system.”...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:38 PM

Rendering of proposed office campus

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:24 PM

BYU football to improve 2019 home-game experience with new "Cougar Canyon" and Stadium structural upgrades

By Jared Lloyd, The Daily Herald - https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/c...fb10890a4.html

...“PROVO, Utah — Beginning with the season opener on Aug. 29, BYU will introduce a new game day fan experience for home football games at LaVell Edwards Stadium called Cougar Canyon.

“Located directly west of the stadium on Canyon Road, Cougar Canyon will open three and a half hours before kickoff. Among the festivities, fans will be able to enjoy the following:

BYU inflatables
Autograph signings by BYU teams
Live bands and DJs
Large LED video board showing college football games, BYU highlights, upcoming events and more
Local food trucks
BYU merchandise and apparel for sale
Photo opportunities with former Cougar greats and major trophies, such as the 1984 National Championship Trophy, Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien Award, Outland Trophy, Doak Walker Award, bowl trophies, etc.
Corporate partner and football alumni gatherings
Team Cougar Walk
“The BYU football team will also participate in the new game day experience. The traditional team Cougar Walk will now route through Cougar Canyon two and a half hours before kickoff, allowing fans the opportunity to greet the players and coaches when they arrive at the stadium.

“Cougar Canyon will remain open until 30 minutes before kickoff, which will give fans enough time to enter the stadium for the game and enjoy the new improvements at LaVell Edwards Stadium this fall.

Stadium Improvements for 2019

“LaVell Edwards Stadium is nearing completion of the previously announced improvements for the 2019 season. The project adds structural sections at all four corners of the stadium that connect the existing four independent stadium stands at the mezzanine level. These improvements will allow patrons to walk between stands without having to return to ground level.

“The project also significantly increases the number of restrooms in the stadium by adding women’s, men’s and family-friendly facilities on the north and south mezzanine levels. The changes are intended to improve accessibility, safety and the overall patron experience at BYU football games and other stadium events...

A drawing shows the idea behind the new "Cougar Canyon" pre-game experience to be put on for the home games during the 2019 BYU football season.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:43 PM

I found it interesting that the story of this Tech Park redevelopment was carried in dozens if not hundreds of headlines of the business section of newpapers across the country, from Tacoma to Hilton Head. It would seem obvious that getting a tech foothold in Utah is becoming quite the requisite.

Utah tech center undergoes $8.6 million revitalization project

Associated Press - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ch-center.html

OREM — A Utah office park that was developed for a company credited with launching the state's tech industry has undergone an $8.6 million revitalization project to target new startups.

A reopening ceremony was held last week for the 14-building Canyon Park Tech Center in Orem, the Daily Herald reported Sunday.

The campus was the former home of WordPerfect, a word processing software company. WordPerfect merged with the software company Novell in 1994, and the property was sold to investors in 2000.

The Muller Company, a real estate investment and development firm, acquired the campus two years ago. The company then renovated building lobbies and improved infrastructure, like replacing roofs and exterior lights, said Justin Farnsworth, Canyon Park operations manager.

It also added a fitness center with a lounge and yoga and spin studio, as well as a park-like area with a hammock garden and a barbecue space, Farnsworth said.

"We're taking a little bit of inspiration from some of these tech campuses like the likes of eBay and Google and Apple and those, and trying to create a live-work-play environment here with this campus that we have access to," Farnsworth said. "We're really, really trying to embrace that and tap into that entrepreneurial spirit."...

Last edited by delts145; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:40 PM

Orem Fitness Center releases new design

Orem residents are getting a second look-see at renderings for the new Orem Fitness Center. The center was part of a $24.5 million bond voted on in November...It became apparent soon after the bond that the center would need to have more work done on it the originally expected. The original idea was to keep the pools open, but the HVAC systems that needed replacing were situated so that they would have to shut down the pools to take care of the mechanical issues...

A concept of the new Orem Fitness Center - Courtesy Orem

Last edited by delts145; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:06 AM
Exit 298

Am I a weirdo? The idea of using a treadmill on a glass balcony makes me socially uncomfortable. I'd rather be inside a "cubicle" of some sort, so I can be left alone.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 10:28 AM

Utah Tech jobs growing twice as fast as other states

Gena Halladay - Lehi Free Press - https://www.lehifreepress.com/2019/0...-other-states/

Utah has been named the state with the most robust job growth between August 2017 to August 2018, according to a report by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute that was presented at the Utah Economic Summit recently. That growth can be attributed in large part to Utah County, as without Utah County’s numbers in that calculation, Utah would only be in fifth place nationally.

The population of Utah has increased by 263,178 people in the last five years. “We’ve added a population the size of Weber County in five years,” said Natalie Gochnour, director of the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute. Population growth is often a sign of economic strength, and the state of Utah is the fastest-growing economy by job growth in the nation. The Point of the Mountain and the Lehi area are quickly becoming the “uptown” to Salt Lake City’s “downtown,” she said. “Population, power, political power, economic power, are all shifting south in the state.”

Podium outgrew its building in nine months, they broke ground on a new $20 million headquarters in May. | Courtesy Podium

Tech sector growth can be witnessed by anyone driving in Lehi along the freeway seeing the rate office buildings are going up. Companies like Podium, which started five years ago in a Provo apartment by CEO Eric Rea, moved into a brand new 150,000 square-foot building in Lehi just nine months ago. They have already outgrown it. A few days ago, they broke ground on a new $20 million building which will become their new headquarters. “Today we broke ground for our second building at Podium HQ. Over the past four years, we’ve gone from five to over 500 employees, and with this expansion, our campus will have room for 1,600 employees,” according to Podium’s social media platform...

Last edited by delts145; Jul 1, 2019 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:01 PM

BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY’S AMANDA KNIGHT HALL SOLD TO MOUNTAIN CLASSIC REAL ESTATE

Salt Lake City—Brigham Young University’s Amanda Knight Hall has been sold to Mountain Classic Real Estate, Inc. (MCRE), an investment group known for high-quality restoration of historic commercial and multifamily properties. MCRE plans to restore Amanda Knight Hall to its historical gothic-style architectural significance. Kreg Peterson and David Bauman of CBRE represented Brigham Young University in the sale of the iconic building.

Some of MCRE’s previous notable projects include the restoration of the Historic Clift and Felt buildings in downtown Salt Lake City, and the restoration of the Park Manor Apartments, located on the downtown periphery. Plans for future use of Amanda Knight Hall are currently under development...

Last edited by delts145; Jul 8, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:26 PM

Looks like the last original anchor store will at University Mall/Place will be rebuit:

University Place to get west end remake

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I think we will need to tunnel under the Oquirrh Mountains with a freeway before Tooele will become a viable growth option. There is only so much I-80 and the 201 can handle for those that live over there.
Suprisingly, there is a plan to significantly upgrade and expand a current narrow highway through the Oquirrhs. I think it extends from Riverton through to Tooele. I was reading about it a while back. The plan was rejected for the time being as currently being too expensive. However, as pressure builds officials predict it will become a reality.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 9:36 PM

MTECH renovating old Provo courthouse to create new campus location

Mountainland Technical College is returning to its Provo roots.

The technical college is in the process of renovating the old 4th District Courthouse in downtown Provo to become its newest campus.

“As far as location, you can’t be in a better spot to better serve the city of Provo,” said Kirt Michaelis, vice president of finance at MTECH.

MTECH started in a now nonexistent Provo building before moving out to other locations. It currently has campuses in Orem, Spanish Fork and Lehi, and is constructing an additional building at Thanksgiving Point that will house trade and technology programs.

MTECH began renovation work on the former courthouse in May after taking possession of the building in March. While construction is expected to take three years as the school secures funding from the state, Michaelis said the hope is to begin classes for information technology and nurse and medical assistant programs in about a month. Renovation work on the old courthouse includes removing the building’s security station at its front entrance, updating its technology and converting courtrooms into classrooms...

...The building will increase MTECH’s enrollment by about 300 students this year, and by about 1,000 when it is completed. MTECH currently sees about 4,500 students a year, and saw a growth of 12% last year, according to Michaelis.

When complete, the building will also house programs for surgical technology, medical billing and coding, web development, digital media, digital marketing and analytics, among others...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Suprisingly, there is a plan to significantly upgrade and expand a current narrow highway through the Oquirrhs. I think it extends from Riverton through to Tooele. I was reading about it a while back. The plan was rejected for the time being as currently being too expensive. However, as pressure builds officials predict it will become a reality.
It's not possible to "expand" it unless they tunnel under the mountain. Most of the road is currently unpaved and there is no room to widen it as it's a tiny road clinging to the side of a mountain.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:34 AM

Here's the file article on that road widening. It looks like the extending of 201 to parallel with I-80 would be the best option for the closer future. However, I do think down the road over the long run a widening and tunnel will be necessary. Probably a few decades off depending on the population reached in Tooele Valley. The pressure is not there yet, but one day it probably will be. Same with some sort of bridge over Utah Lake.

A shortcut road between Tooele and Herriman would cost $329 million, causing one leader to say that’s ‘just not realistic

By Lee Davidson - https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...not-realistic/

Upgrading canyon roads to provide a relatively high-speed, safe shortcut between Tooele and southern Salt Lake County would cost an estimated $328.7 million, a new study says.

Tooele County Commission Chairman Wade Bitner said Friday with that high price tag, “It’s just not realistic at this time.” He adds, “$329 million — my goodness there’s an awful lot of things we could do with that to provide more benefit than going over the mountain.”

And Bitner said his commission agrees.

A just-completed $200,000 feasibility study funded by the Legislature for the Wasatch Front Regional Council looks at several options for shortcuts using different canyons across the Oquirrh Mountains.

The preferred option identified would allow a 50 mph drive from Herriman to Tooele, going up Butterfield Canyon in Salt Lake County and down Middle Canyon in Tooele County.

The new two-lane road — with 10-foot shoulders to allow snow storage, plus serve bicyclists and pedestrians in the summer — would require a nearly mile-long tunnel to maintain a maximum 6 percent grade.

That tunnel alone would cost an estimated $132 million.

Other options considered — one up Pass Canyon in Tooele County and down Barney Canyon in Salt Lake County, and another Ophir-Oak Canyon route — would require even longer, more expensive tunnels.

A road now exists in Butterfield and Middle canyons, but it is narrow, winding and steep with some unpaved sections in Middle Canyon. It allows speeds no faster than 35 mph. It is also closed during the winter.

And Bittner says every other year or so, some large truck trying to save mileage gets stuck in the canyon not realizing how narrow and winding it is.

The new study, performed by AECOM, figured that in 2050, the preferred, upgraded route would take 41 minutes from Herriman to Tooele, compared to an estimated 52 minutes if Interstate 80 were used instead.

“If it saves only 10 minutes or so, it’s probably not realistic,” Bitner said.

But an improved shortcut has been a dream of many officials in southern Salt Lake and Tooele counties for years — and they had even talked of perhaps of making it a toll road to allow financing.

One of its benefits would be providing an alternative when accidents close I-80 between the two counties where the Oquirrhs meet the Great Salt Lake, which also happens a few times a year and causes long delays.

Bitner said transportation officials are also exploring the possibility of extending State Road 201 there to closely parallel I-80 to provide a second option if accidents close I-80. “That would be about a third of the cost, and wouldn‘t require a tunnel,” he said.

The new Oquirrh Connection Feasibility Study Report may be viewed on the website of the Wasatch Front Regional Council at wfrc.org.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 15, 2019 at 11:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West