HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 12:09 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Any new updates for South Lamar? I really hope someone comes along with a vision for the Hobby Lobby Shopping Center. Just saying ...
Brodie Oaks has a lot of potential.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 12:26 AM

Everything in that Shopping Center is owned by one company except for the Toys R Us and that Brodie Oaks Plaze office complex near it. I can't see the part of the shopping center that fronts Lamar Blvd (Sprout's, Olive Garden, The Park) closing anytime soon because that parking lot is busy all the time. I don't want it to close either, because I shop several times a week at that Sprout's. The part where Hobby Lobby, Neiman Marcus Last Call and those restaurant pads - not so much. I wouldn't mind seeing something done with that part.

I did notice the other day that La Feria is definitely closed now. All the signage and the Neon signs are down and the whole area has a chain link fence around it. That's where Sackman Enterprises is planning on building that office building. The rendering are a few posts upon this page.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 12:52 AM
World Traveler

I'd be more interested in seeing the retail stuff across Lamar from all that get developed - where the Wells Fargo is and the big box stores behind it (I think there's an LA Fitness there, among other things). That area has more opportunity to be developed into a sort of mini-grid that would tie into surrounding streets (Lamar, Victory Dr., even extend Prather to Lamar or something?). The area with the Hobby Lobby just awkwardly meets the access road to Lamar/360/Ben White.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:41 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I like Harbor Freight.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:12 PM

New project at 1311 S Lamar. This is the lot with Genie Car Wash and Jiffy Lube.

Looks like 200+ residential units and ground floor retail.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3692046

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:08 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
New project at 1311 S Lamar. This is the lot with Genie Car Wash and Jiffy Lube.

Looks like 200+ residential units and ground floor retail.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3692046
Saw the surveyors out there last week and thought this had to be what was coming. Wonder if this is just the car wash or if it will take out the garage behind it and/or the 7/11 as well.

Once Collier gets a cross walk (Prop 1) I sort of expect the stretch from Collier to the river to be pretty much a wall of VMU within 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
wall of VMU within 10 years.
my family and I can't wait for this to happen.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Wonder if this is just the car wash or if it will take out the garage behind it and/or the 7/11 as well.
I don't think it will take out the Car Wash or Jiffy Lube. I think it's the property adjacent to (behind it) that they're talking about.

Go down to the bottom of that link where it says
"C14-2016-0132 Case Info
Date Filed 12/5/2016 Formal Submittal 12/5/2016

and click on the download and look at page 15.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I don't think it will take out the Car Wash or Jiffy Lube. I think it's the property adjacent to (behind it) that they're talking about.

Go down to the bottom of that link where it says
"C14-2016-0132 Case Info
Date Filed 12/5/2016 Formal Submittal 12/5/2016

and click on the download and look at page 15.
I just read it, and page 4 gives good details. It says that lot is part of a bigger development that encompasses the 1301 AND 1303 S Lamar properties fronting S Lamar. This specific rezoning request is for the property behind the Jiffy Lube to allow that back portion to be included in the project.

I drove by there earlier and there are markers in the ground from the car wash all the way through the 7-11. This looks like a pretty large project!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 11:22 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I hope that Genie sign gets saved somehow.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 11:49 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
I just read it, and page 4 gives good details. It says that lot is part of a bigger development that encompasses the 1301 AND 1303 S Lamar properties fronting S Lamar. This specific rezoning request is for the property behind the Jiffy Lube to allow that back portion to be included in the project.

I drove by there earlier and there are markers in the ground from the car wash all the way through the 7-11. This looks like a pretty large project!
Survey team was out today putting markers out on the section over where the Starbucks is.

Weird, Starbucks *just* remodeled that location. This is going to be a *massive* tract facing lamar, but not very deep. I wish they could take the mini storage next to 1301 Lamar over.

This section of Lamar is about to be a full on canyon for 3-4 blocks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 12:17 AM

I thought this project was just going to take out the car wash and adjacent auto repair shop which are next to the 7-11. The Starbucks is on the other side of the 7-11. If the footprint includes the car wash and auto repair, 7-11 and Starbucks it would be quite large.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I thought this project was just going to take out the car wash and adjacent auto repair shop which are next to the 7-11. The Starbucks is on the other side of the 7-11. If the footprint includes the car wash and auto repair, 7-11 and Starbucks it would be quite large.
The strip center that houses the Starbucks isn't included. the Markers in the ground show the car repair shop, Genie car wash, and the massive 7-11.

As others have said, this would be a pretty large develpment.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:57 AM

Also, a permit search shows the abandoned Jack in the Box will be a Starbucks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Also, a permit search shows the abandoned Jack in the Box will be a Starbucks.
Cool. That solves the mystery of the abandoned Jack-in-the-Box.

I go to that 7-11 a couple times per week. I guess I'll be going to the one in SoCo instead.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 7:01 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
The strip center that houses the Starbucks isn't included. the Markers in the ground show the car repair shop, Genie car wash, and the massive 7-11.

As others have said, this would be a pretty large develpment.
New ground markers out today including the Starbucks strip center. Not sure what for, could be unrelated, but definitely had a survey crew out today.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:33 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. This area has become more appealing to me recently as my wife and I just got an offer accepted for a home in the area.

I'm interested to see how quickly they will be incorporating the corridor plans for the street as well. My feeling is it won't be on the first to be worked on based on I-35, but I wanted to check and see if anyone here knows anything.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Just wanted to bring this back to the top. This area has become more appealing to me recently as my wife and I just got an offer accepted for a home in the area.

I'm interested to see how quickly they will be incorporating the corridor plans for the street as well. My feeling is it won't be on the first to be worked on based on I-35, but I wanted to check and see if anyone here knows anything.
Congrats man, and welcome to the hood. I just moved into my home on Hether. We love the area. Where is your new home?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:09 PM

Say Goodbye to Maria's Taco Xpress.

South Austin taco icon to close — but owner hopes name will live on

Quote:
Maria's Taco Xpress, a fixture of South Austin's eating, drinking and live music scenes, plans to shutter, felled by high property taxes and a business slowdown — although it could reopen in a new location.

Owner Maria Corbalan is under contract to sell the property at 2529 S. Lamar Blvd. "in the coming months," according to the Austin American-Statesman.

According to the Statesman, those taxes reached $50,000 last year on land valued by the Travis Central Appraisal District at more than $2.2 million — up 189 percent from its $760,000 tax valuation in 2012.

Corbalan told the Statesman she's losing money daily and hasn't received a salary since April 2016. She hopes employees restart the business in a different locale.
The Business Journal article said it was slated to close April 1, but it's still open for now.

South Austin Institution Maria's Taco Xpress Isn’t Shuttering Just Yet

Quote:
Maria’s Taco Xpress isn’t closing just yet. A notice posted in front of the restaurant vaguely states that it might happen within the next two months.

The titular Maria Corbalan said that sales haven't been that great recently and high property taxes forced her to sell the South Lamar address to an unknown person or persons. The copyright of the name Maria's Taco Xpress will remain under her care, so that her staffers could potentially extend the life of the restaurant somewhere else.
A friend of mine was there the other day and she said staff told her it would be closing in June.

I'm really sad to see it go, because it truly was an Austin icon - and had good food to boot.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:40 PM
Meh

Maybe it was an April Fool's joke. I sure was hoping it was a joke when El Gallo on South Congress closed. My family had been going there since the 70s. I still haven't found another Austin Mexican food restaurant that can keep up with it. I'm starving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin