HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:34 PM
BANNED

^Nope.

Good for Macklowe. Wheeling bitties and building cities. His drive gives others the inspiration to dream big and be the next billionaire developer.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
That's just sexist and unnecesary. Like politics should be kept to a minimum, so should high fiving bro talk. I'm certainly not impresed he landed a trophy wife. She should watch out in ten years. Keep to the thoughts on the tower, and where anyone else is mentioned it should be in a professional way. That ends my hijack of the thread...hope others get the drift and follow suit.

Good. Because this was all uneccessary giberish. Follow your own advice.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-e...anging-skyline

These 5 skyscrapers are part of the changing skyline

RYAN DEFFENBAUGH
June 19, 2019

Quote:
Tower Fifth
5-9 E. 51st St.

Estimated height: 1,556 feet

Developer Harry Macklowe is working on plans for a 96-story tower just off Fifth Avenue on East 51st Street. Designed by Gensler, the 1.3 million square foot tower will feature the city's highest observatory. Crain's reported in January that Macklowe needs to secure hundreds of thousands of square feet in air rights for the project.

The New York Post reported Tuesday that a four-story building at 9 East 51st, which houses the Venezuelan consulate, will be part of the development.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:53 PM
DENNAB

The part that juts out bothers me a bit, but other than that the building is fine, nothing amazing but the height is nice.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The part that juts out bothers me a bit, but other than that the building is fine, nothing amazing but the height is nice.
The part that juts out is problematic to say the least.

Needs a real crown, or maybe a 150' spire at each corner.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:57 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I wish somebody would give us the spire we deserve.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/19/midtow...zuelan-leader/

By Lois Weiss
June 19, 2019

Quote:
Real estate tycoon Harry Macklowe’s proposed Midtown Manhattan skyscraper, dubbed Tower Fifth, is now likely to get skinnier — thanks to US sanctions against the Venezuelan regime.

Macklowe, who is sailing on his yacht in Europe, did not immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment.

Earlier, he said it’s “done” when asked about any US government pushback to his plans to incorporate the Venezuelan consulate into the base of the proposed 1,556-foot-tall office tower.

He may now have to re-jigger his plan by buying the consulate’s air rights, or trade it for another property.

If approved, the proposed 1.3 million-square-foot tower will have an observatory, food hall, glass galleria spanning the block, an auditorium and offices.

Under the plan, a glass lobby will frame the side entrance of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, which is also selling some air rights.

The site (center) won't contribute much to the tower itself, but it would make for a smaller entrance on 52nd Street and ruin the view of St. Patrick's from within.
But the tower itself would rise on a pedestal (a few hundred feet up) above the other sites.

MAY 27, 2019

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:51 PM
BANNED

I hope that this eyesore isn't built.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

pushback from venezuela:

REAL ESTATE BETWEEN THE BRICKS

Midtown’s Tower Fifth in trouble due to US tensions with Venezuela

By Lois Weiss June 19, 2019 | 10:15pm | Updated

Real estate tycoon Harry Macklowe’s proposed Midtown Manhattan skyscraper, dubbed Tower Fifth, is now likely to get skinnier — thanks to US sanctions against the Venezuelan regime.

After The Post reported Wednesday that Macklowe’s Tower Fifth skyscraper will be built partially in a space where the Venezuelan consulate now stands on East 51st Street, the Venezuelan Ambassador to the US tweeted out the story with some harsh words to the South American nation’s current leader Nicolas Maduro.

“None of [Venezuela’s] assets are for sale in the US,” Ambassador Carlos Vecchio tweeted with a link to The Post story.

“Maduro regime attempted to sell VZ consulate in NY, one of the usurper’s criminal acts that we stopped to protect assets of the nation,” said Vecchio, who was appointed by Maduro’s opposition leader Juan Guaidó, who the US recognizes as the interim president of the country.

more:
https://nypost.com/2019/06/19/midtow...zuelan-leader/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Then your hope lies in the approvals process. But be careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
pushback from venezuela:

REAL ESTATE BETWEEN THE BRICKS

Midtown’s Tower Fifth in trouble due to US tensions with Venezuela

By Lois Weiss June 19, 2019

Posted article just above, but the headline is also misleading. Any trouble for this tower will come from the approvals process. There are still multiple approvals this tower needs before any construction can begin.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Pfft, your taste in architecture is subjective. It doesn't matter that these buildings are essentially public art since architecture is an art form and everyone has to look at these buildings. People the world over prefer either pre-war architecture or futuristic, sleek designs instead of boxes, but I can afford to ignore that fact because, unlike you, I'm not going against the invisible and benevolent hand of the free market. *Winners* are going to make this building happen because they get stuff done!

I'm going to pretend that having standards for design would cause business to flee, even though there are over 200 corporate HQ here, even though our stock exchange is the largest (by measure of market capitalization) in the world several times over, and even though this is the marketing, media, and cultural capital of the world.

I'm also going to make a false dichotomy and proclaim that what you want would somehow turn the city into a museum. Museums are ugly, by the way, unless they house the kind of nightmarish abstract art that my corporate masters put in their plazas and lobbies.

These kind of monstrous, punishing designs will continue to win out over the sleeker, more forward-thinking proposals that developers tease us with because they are important people. Your opinion doesn't matter, so ha!

Last edited by Duck From NY; Jun 24, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:07 PM

...if the design stays as is, a little skinnier might be better, particularly if it means a height increase. Style-wise my biggest issue other than the crown-less roof is the perfectly square windows, which scream post modern.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Then your hope lies in the approvals process. But be careful what you wish for.

Posted article just above, but the headline is also misleading. Any trouble for this tower will come from the approvals process. There are still multiple approvals this tower needs before any construction can begin.
I just skimmed the article, but if he can't get the Venezuelan consulate, how can this tower rise without a changed design?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
+1 times 1,000.

Building this gangly mess is taking a dump on the city. WTF.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:32 AM

Quote:
I just skimmed the article, but if he can't get the Venezuelan consulate, how can this tower rise without a changed design?
Macklowe said "it's done". There's no reason to not believe him, given he's presently demolishing the site.

If there were some unfixable political kerfuffle with that one property, he could build over and above, probably elevating the lobby. But that would be silly, keeping a random building on the lot. It wouldn't be the first time in NYC a tower were built above/around a holdout, though.

Macklowe actually had a very similar issue with 432 Park. One building owner claimed he would never sell. Money talks.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Macklowe said "it's done". There's no reason to not believe him, given he's presently demolishing the site.

If there were some unfixable political kerfuffle with that one property, he could build over and above, probably elevating the lobby. But that would be silly, keeping a random building on the lot. It wouldn't be the first time in NYC a tower were built above/around a holdout, though.

Macklowe actually had a very similar issue with 432 Park. One building owner claimed he would never sell. Money talks.
Macklow is a slimy weasel, so I don’t trust anything that he says. However, if the consulate is presently being demolished, that’s another story, and it changes things.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its also the NY Post. They tend to exaggerate things or stretch the truth like plastic man.

Worst case, a cantilever or modification to the lower section/base.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
...if the design stays as is, a little skinnier might be better, particularly if it means a height increase. Style-wise my biggest issue other than the crown-less roof is the perfectly square windows, which scream post modern.
Quote:

Again, even if Macklowe doesn't get this site, it would have little bearing on the tower itself, which would be suspended a few hundred feet up. What would be "skinnier" is the 51st Street entrance with the view of St. Patricks. But the main and broader entrance will be on 52nd Street in either case.

Some perspective....

https://www.instagram.com/p/By6-CQfjaEc/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 12:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like the beginnings of demo on one of the parcels.

Credit: Oppix56

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:02 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.mackloweproperties.com/c...owerfifth.html

Quote:
TowerFifth
New York
On 51st and 52nd Street, between Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue, Mix-use Commercial Building.

Project Information Coming Soon.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:52 AM

I love that lobby. I'm guessing the observation deck would have a separate entrance, though.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I love that lobby. I'm guessing the observation deck would have a separate entrance, though.
I'm guessing that's the office entrance. The larger, public side would be on the northern side where the building would have a larger presence, though this would be open to the public as well.
I'm hoping they can keep that view as is.

https://www.australiandesignreview.c...econd-tallest/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals