HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

307 Prince Albert in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:50 AM

[Dartmouth] 307 Prince Albert Road | ? m | 16 fl | U/C

Brand new proposal for the corner of Prince Albert Road and Glenwood Avenue in Dartmouth just next to Lake Banook.
Case 16898 Details

- DJ

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 7:56 AM
Honored Member

Map - 307 Prince Albert Road for Case 16898.

Here is the rendering. It looks quite good but since this is so close to Lake Banook and requires rezoning, I imagine that it could take years to go through.

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 22, 2011 at 8:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:51 PM

This looks good. A great place for more density. Is it within the height restricted area for the lake? I haven't had a chance to read the DA yet.

Here are the other two renderings.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:59 PM

Dartmouth is on a roll

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:07 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Map - 307 Prince Albert Road for Case 16898.

Here is the rendering. It looks quite good but since this is so close to Lake Banook and requires rezoning, I imagine that it could take years to go through.
That is a great looking building but may be in for a battle on that site. The wind effect shouldn't be as big of an issue as the YMCA site but the neighbourhood will be out in full force to oppose it no doubt.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It fits nicely. I like the shot with the Horizon Towers on the...well Horizon

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
It fits nicely. I like the shot with the Horizon Towers on the...well Horizon
There might soon be another Horizon on the Horizon. A Horizon 3 has been proposed that is 27 stories high (the Horizon 3 proposal looks great also - Horizon 3 thread)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 8:55 PM

This looks like a pretty good development - hope this goes ahead!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:03 PM
we built this city

I love it... I think something like this downtown would work well.

How long before the public outcry? I bet it will start right around the time when the public process starts.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I love it... I think something like this downtown would work well.

How long before the public outcry? I bet it will start right around the time when the public process starts.
I agree 100% this would be great downtown either halifax or dartmouth, it would be great to see both DT's operate as one! but as far as this development is concerned I personally feel this is the wrong area for this density although I do like the building it's self , this is somewhat close to DT dartmouth but it would be better if it was closer and filled in those areas before expanding away.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some aspects of the design, such as the little arched window a few floors above the main entrance, are very awkward. Cartoon architecture that reminds me of tilt-up suburban furniture stores.

It could be okay with some modification (I like some other elements like the curved balconies and upper cornice) but I'm not sure there are many other buildings for it to relate to in this area. Basically I suspect that it will be a vertical subdivison, at least until more infill happens nearby.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:23 PM

I had assumed this was going on the site of the former Ultramar gas station. But I drove by there yesterday and #307 is not that site. In fact there is a building already standing on #307. If you are travelling up Prince Albert Road there are the condos, the former Ultramar site, a strip mall with a Robins Donuts and a couple of other shops, and then #307. If the address is in fact #307 then it is well-removed from the lake and there should realistically be no wind issues.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:37 PM
Honored Member

It seems to be the right location. Here is the site plan and the Map - 307 Prince Albert Road

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It seems to be the right location. Here is the site plan and the Map - 307 Prince Albert Road
Yes, that is the building at #307, the former funeral home. Given that location it is far enough removed from the lake that I cannot imagine the wind issue will be raised by naysayers.

The former Ultramar site is quite large. I wonder if anything is being planned for that?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 12:52 AM

The lake does have a strict boundary around it for height limits. I know UGs YMCA falls within these, but they have done lots of wind studies to ensure nothing impedes the course. I'm pretty sure the development that was proposed a few years back for the Paddlers Cove site almost across the street from this was turned down because of wind impacts. I'm pretty sure the Ultramar site falls within those boundaries as well.

As far as density goes though, I think this is a great site for it. It's only about 20 mins walk to the ferry, there is a bus route or two along Prince Albert, and there is a grocery store directly across the street.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 1:02 AM

I fail to see how any wind effects from this site could affect the lake. It is on the opposite side of the road, and is separated from the lake not only by the road but a number of other buildings.

I don't know if there is transit service on Prince Albert Rd - if not, that is quite a hike to the ferry or anywhere else.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I fail to see how any wind effects from this site could affect the lake. It is on the opposite side of the road, and is separated from the lake not only by the road but a number of other buildings.

I don't know if there is transit service on Prince Albert Rd - if not, that is quite a hike to the ferry or anywhere else.
Typical transit oriented development (TOD) is plotted based on a maximum 20 minute walk; which usually ends up with a 600m radius from the typical station point. I've not measured the distance from the ferry terminal to the site but it sounds like it might meet that condition; so it could be considered TOD.

But I agree with you - its doubtful there would be any significant effects on the lake.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 2:50 PM

Fellow developer backs highrise plan

94-unit building among four planned for area

By CHRIS LAMBIE

Business Editor
ADEVELOPER plans to build a 15-storey apartment building in the Lake Banook area of Dartmouth.

Monaco Investments Ltd. , headed by Tony Maskine, plans to build the 94-unit structure on a site now occupied by a funeral home. Property records show Monaco bought 307 Prince Albert Rd. last spring from Granville Developments Inc. , which is headed by James Ross, getting a $448,000 mortgage from the Bank of Montreal to fi­nance the purchase.

“I think it would be pretty good improve­ment for the neighbourhood," said Bob Yuille, who heads Yuille Auto Works , which is beside the site of the proposed apartment complex.

“If the renderings are any indication of what’s to come, I’d have no objection to something of that quality and standard being next door to me, that’s for sure."

Maskine could not be reached Monday for comment.

“This guy doesn’t seem to be pinching any pennies in what he’s proposing for the prop­erty," said Yuille, who has discussed the proposal with the developer.

“It’s probably going to be in the $20 mil­lion to $30 million range, I’m sure."

Some Glenwood Avenue residents have expressed concerns about the increase in traffic the building would bring, he said.

“But I don’t think 94 cars makes much of a difference," Yuille said, noting that the planned building will be aimed at seniors who likely won’t be driving a lot during peak traffic times.

“They’re looking for retirees more than anything."

Donald K. Walker Funeral Directors is still on the site, Yuille said.

“For a funeral home, they weren’t that active for the last couple of years."

The proposed apartment build­ing’s design is “pretty impres­sive," he said. Yuille has been doing business in the area since 1986. Since the

Keddy’s Motel on Prince Albert Road was torn down just over a decade ago and replaced by an

Atlantic Superstore , he said the area seems cleaner and crime­free.

“It’s really helped the neigh­bourhood along," he said of the grocery store addition. “We used to have a lot of vandalism in this area with the cars and stuff like that. We don’t have any (of that) anymore."

Monaco is now applying to Halifax Regional Municipality to rezone the land where it wants to build. The property, which also borders on Glenwood Avenue, is deemed general commercial and two-unit residential. But the developer wants to change that to high-density residential.

“Three-quarters of the units are two-bedroom units, with the remainder as mainly one-bed­room units," said an overview of the project on the municipality’s website.

“Three levels of underground garage, with 130 parking spaces in total, are included, with eight surface parking spaces located outside. Existing mature trees on the site are to be retained."

A public information meeting on the project is slated for May 4 at 7 p.m. at Alderney School.

The area could be growing, with United Gulf Develop­ments Ltd. proposing two 17-storey condominium towers on the former Dartmouth YMCA site near Lake Banook. The mu­nicipal planning strategy capped building heights in the area at 10.5 metres in 2005, meaning the developer would need to get an amendment to build the towers.

And Yuille is planning a con­dominium project of his own on Prince Albert Road, on a 1.2-hectare property at the Bar­tlin Road intersection, between

NAPA Auto Parts and the school.

“I have a development agree­ment in place," he said. “I’m just waiting on a sale of a property fromHRM. . . . It could be any day now. They’re just working out some details on how to sell it to me and give me the frontage I require."

The 14-storey, 84-unit building would likely cost more than $20 million to build, said Yuille, who also heads Twin Lakes Devel­opment Ltd.

Height restrictions that could hamper the United Gulf proposal don’t affect properties on the south side of Prince Albert, he said.

“There’s a height restriction zone that runs straight up Prince Albert Road."

Yuille, 62, said he may not build the condominium project himself. “I’m getting too old. I could sell the agreement and property to somebody who may be interested."

(clambie@herald.ca)

It's nice to see an article with a positive slant on a building from the Herald. And it clears up the issue of the height limit too.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Typical transit oriented development (TOD) is plotted based on a maximum 20 minute walk; which usually ends up with a 600m radius from the typical station point. I've not measured the distance from the ferry terminal to the site but it sounds like it might meet that condition; so it could be considered TOD.

But I agree with you - its doubtful there would be any significant effects on the lake.
The #62 bus travels in front of this site, and travels between the Dartmouth Ferry and Penhorn 'Mall'.

Given the site alignment for the building, sun and wind for the lake shouldn't be an issue.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 10:27 PM

Thumbs up If you like it speak up

Agreed - wind is a widely over rated non-issue.

Agreed - the building looks great.

If the city doesn't get more projects like this it will continue to decay while the suburbs grow. Just look at what's happening to city churches and schools - they're being run down and sold off. Property taxes will also increase without redevelopment of urban communities.

If my parents sell their home and want a place to live as they get older, I don't want to ship them off to some building in the suburbs. I plan to attend the public hearing and speak up for this development - I encourage others to do the same.

cheers ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth