HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:45 AM

Beautiful smoke/smog and some foundation work

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:21 AM

*cough*cough* this air has been terrible!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
*cough*cough* this air has been terrible!
I don't envy the construction crews who have been working through the weather this week.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:44 PM

Up goes the crane.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:48 AM

Its topped out and you can see all of the major siding patterns based off of what has been installed already.

Its not... great. But it is dense and affordable.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:52 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

The checkerboard pattern reminds me of some of NASA's early rockets.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:38 AM

It looks something like what would get built with a Lego set.

That said, it will fit in fine in that location.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:18 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'm bumping this comment up to get the renderings on this page since we're starting to see real photos of what the actual building will look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 6:34 PM
Registered Ugly

Figured I'd post an actual photo of this thing since it never was done. I really hope something nice gets built in front of this at some point. It's really sad to see such an ugly building featured so prominently anytime you go over the Fremont. I imagine the final design decision from the architect was just "f*&k it! Next!".

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Figured I'd post an actual photo of this thing since it never was done. I really hope something nice gets built in front of this at some point. It's really sad to see such an ugly building featured so prominently anytime you go over the Fremont. I imagine the final design decision from the architect was just "f*&k it! Next!".
Wasn't this one designed by the same up-and-coming architect who did the affordable housing project out at Killingsworth and Columbia? I also find it to be something of an iconic eyesore, from the neon orange-and-red paneling to the crazy checkerboard party wall on the east-facing side of the building. Even the little upturned bit at the SW corner – on one level, you appreciate the effort to make it visually "interesting", but it seems to stem from a fundamental issue with the architectural program and thus feels dishonest in some way. Oops. Now it paradoxically beckons the eye toward its flawed attributes.

Another one close by that gets under my skin is the ironically-named 'NV' – nothing about the building itself is notable, right down to the cheap curtain wall and the dumb single-story podium, but the architects rotated it against the grid and put a strip of shiny bling up and down the outside of it and now it's a mediocre building that really stands out from several perspectives around the city. It's a terrible building to experience from the street level, too, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:59 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Another one close by that gets under my skin is the ironically-named 'NV' – nothing about the building itself is notable, right down to the cheap curtain wall and the dumb single-story podium, but the architects rotated it against the grid and put a strip of shiny bling up and down the outside of it and now it's a mediocre building that really stands out from several perspectives around the city. It's a terrible building to experience from the street level, too, IMO.
That one also grinds me. I loathe that strip down the side even more than the angle they built it at.

I do however like the terraced looking one in the far right of the image I posted. I think it’s called Vista North Pearl or something. I think I just like terraced buildings in general and buildings like Vibrant! look suffocating to me. They use the colors to hide the fact that they’re basically vertical coffins. Give the low-income folks some outside space for crying out loud.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland