HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:53 PM
self-important urbanista

In better breakfast news, I noticed this morning that Snooze has reopened its location in the ground floor of the Stewart building. It had been closed so long, it thought it might be a permanent casualty of the pandemic.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
In better breakfast news, I noticed this morning that Snooze has reopened its location in the ground floor of the Stewart building. It had been closed so long, it thought it might be a permanent casualty of the pandemic.
Yeah, crazy wait too. It was an hour and a half wait for 2 people yesterday. So we ordered online and ate at The Grand,lol. The Grands fridge was broken so they had no food and said we could order from Snooze and eat it there,lol.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yeah, crazy wait too. It was an hour and a half wait for 2 people yesterday. So we ordered online and ate at The Grand,lol. The Grands fridge was broken so they had no food and said we could order from Snooze and eat it there,lol.
speaking of breakfast places. i always see a wait outside of the restaurant at the cambria hotel on the weekends.

i haven't eaten at the cambria yet but ate at snooze pre covid and wasn't impressed. but will give them another try.

there is supposed to be a pizza place moving into the old rotten grapes, does anyone know for sure?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:55 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
speaking of breakfast places. i always see a wait outside of the restaurant at the cambria hotel on the weekends.

i haven't eaten at the cambria yet but ate at snooze pre covid and wasn't impressed. but will give them another try.

there is supposed to be a pizza place moving into the old rotten grapes, does anyone know for sure?
The place at the Cambria is Breakfast Bitch, which I'm not sure will be around all that long after what I read in the NYT article linked above.

The pizza place was mentioned in this post: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=812

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Speaking of the Grand, the decision to remove their kitchen was a terrible one! Say what you want about the meal quality (I really liked it), it was one of the only places downtown with an all hours menu.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:32 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Speaking of the Grand, the decision to remove their kitchen was a terrible one! Say what you want about the meal quality (I really liked it), it was one of the only places downtown with an all hours menu.
Is there nothing beyond drinks and pastry then? I thought the food was quite good when it first opened, but I had some problems with service. After putting them in the penalty box for a year, I went back about two years ago and found the menu dumbed down. I haven't been back again.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Is there nothing beyond drinks and pastry then? I thought the food was quite good when it first opened, but I had some problems with service. After putting them in the penalty box for a year, I went back about two years ago and found the menu dumbed down. I haven't been back again.
Pastries and some packaged sandwiches are all that remain of the food menu. It’s a pity really, it was a great concept and close to the downtown campus so students such as myself, could spend the whole day there.

I seldom find a coffee shop with good drinks and food beyond baked goods. I talked to the staff and they mentioned the owner wanted to pivot from the original concept toward cocktails. The space where the general store used to be is poised to be a rum bar. Doesn’t seem like the Grand we knew is ever going to return.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
The place at the Cambria is Breakfast Bitch, which I'm not sure will be around all that long after what I read in the NYT article linked above.

The pizza place was mentioned in this post: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=812
thanks!

i always ride by the front door on my bike. its right down the street from me so will be nice not to have a vacant storefront. excited to see what goes in the Eco phx apartments

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
They got rid of their kitchen?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Put them in the penalty box as well. Service was always slow and terrible, but kept going back in hopes that a late night eat spot could work.

What really turned me off though was how often I’d walk over there at 11 with a friend, to only be told that they decided to close their kitchen early.

Would love for them to pivot to a new concept they could actually be successful executing or have someone else get that location, it’s a great spot!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
They got rid of their kitchen?
Yes, and seating now occupies its place.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:36 PM

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...0YOlVjMAmQJzCU

I’m sure some have noticed two more retail pads at Tapestry are being filled in by a new concept called Chic Chef. Tis opening May 15th. Will be a restaurant and a neighborhood marketplace selling olive oils and pastas.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:39 PM

Thanks. I noticed that a couple of weeks ago and forgot to look it up when I got home.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:35 PM
Modulator

Jersey Mike's going in at Arizona Center next to the theaters on the Taylor St. entrance. Glad to see something going in with all the recent losses AZ Center has had.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 7:00 AM

Quote:

I’m sure some have noticed two more retail pads at Tapestry are being filled in by a new concept called Chic Chef. Tis opening May 15th. Will be a restaurant and a neighborhood marketplace selling olive oils and pastas.
Sounds delicious! I like to eat pastas. It's very good. Hope we will go there.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 6:51 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:

The signage has been there for a long time. It was supposed to have a January 2021 grand opening. Last time I looked inside it did not seem like anything was happening.

But her Facebook page speaks of a 5/15 opening, so we shall see...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 9:59 PM

Nobuo at Teeter House Closes Permanently

Pretty bummed about this one as I never had an opportunity to go and check the place out. Always heard nothing but positive things.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ed/7389266002/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:33 PM
self-important urbanista

The food was consistently excellent. The service was sometimes inflexible. Even with a small plates menu, they insisted you order everything up front rather than enjoying a few items before seeing if you had room for more. Part of the challenge was that the restaurant was really at its best when a customer indulged in the omakase experience, allowing the chef to prepare multiple courses based on what was freshest. That worked well for people who treated the restaurant as a destination in itself. It wasn't always a good match for business lunches and pre-event dinners with more limited timelines. Speaking more broadly, the city seems to have a fine dining strategy in mind when it comes to Heritage Square. The Rose and Crown was pushed out in favor of Anhelo, for example. I like seeing an upscale dining experience in those handsome old homes, but I'm not sure that's the best business model when so much of the nearby foot traffic is office workers, event attendees, and families visiting the Arizona Science Center.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:40 PM

Midtown Raising Cane's?

Raising Cane's wants to go in on SWC Thomas/7th Ave where the existing Duke Photography building is - I am assuming demolition.

https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/...Case/ZA-227-21

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:58 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PHX View Post
Raising Cane's wants to go in on SWC Thomas/7th Ave where the existing Duke Photography building is - I am assuming demolition.

https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/...Case/ZA-227-21
What a shame. I don't think that building is historically significant, but it's reasonably attractive and better than a mediocre chain restaurant. Worst of all, it's going to be a drive-thru.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest