HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:47 PM

Okay, I will try centrico when we start going out to restaurants again. My girlfriend is a nursing professor, there are no risks in my household. Thanks for tips, I really like chilaquiles and a michelada.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Okay, I will try centrico when we start going out to restaurants again. My girlfriend is a nursing professor, there are no risks in my household. Thanks for tips, I really like chilaquiles and a michelada.
Well, you really need to give Taco Chelo a shot because their Micheladas are amazing too

Back to Centrico, they have both green and red options for the Chilaquiles, I prefer Red but both are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Definitely good food and a good value.
Thank you! I'll try the flautas ahogadas this weekend

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 11:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Well, you really need to give Taco Chelo a shot because their Micheladas are amazing too

Back to Centrico, they have both green and red options for the Chilaquiles, I prefer Red but both are great.

Thank you! I'll try the flautas ahogadas this weekend
They're not downtown on weekends. Follow their Instagram for their evening and weekend locations:

https://www.instagram.com/lolas_tacos/

Also, the flautas were last week's special. They'll probably come back again soon, but they weren't available yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:04 AM

If you guys are interested in trying out a nearby hidden Mexican joint that the surrounding neighborhood Mexicans flock to instead of Taco Chelo, try Tacos Huicho on the southwest corner of 20th St and Oak. It's just a half-mile north of Taco Chelo.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:25 AM

Quote:
I'm really sorry my opinions about Mexican food make you so unhappy.

I'm not really trying to start a debate with anyone. I just don't think Downtown Phoenix has any good Mexican food and would love if something opened. Is Canyon Cafe on the good end of Tex Mex? I don't think so. Is Federico's on Central a good taco shop? not really. I guess Taco Boys is pretty decent, so maybe there's one good Mexican restaurant - in my opinion - downtown. You can break "mexican food" into as many sub-genres as you want, I don't think someone on foot in the center of downtown Phoenix has any good options.
That new Tacos Calafia has been my go to recently, where the old Mother Bunch was. Not the center of DT though

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Hmmmmm, My fiancé is in healthcare, from what I’ve seen, most people in healthcare seem pretty nonchalant about getting corona. Most nurses are going to get it at some point, we both did.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Update about Roses by the Stairs brewery. After the Phoenix City Council declined to recommend a liquor license due to neighborhood opposition, the issue then went to the state. The AZ Department of Liquor Licenses and Control approved the license, so they can proceed. I was at Little O's next door earlier today and it looked like some work had begun.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Update about Roses by the Stairs brewery. After the Phoenix City Council declined to recommend a liquor license due to neighborhood opposition, the issue then went to the state. The AZ Department of Liquor Licenses and Control approved the license, so they can proceed. I was at Little O's next door earlier today and it looked like some work had begun.
What what?! I never heard of this brewery! It's opening next to Little O's? I'll be going to Little O's for the first time this week!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:41 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
What what?! I never heard of this brewery! It's opening next to Little O's? I'll be going to Little O's for the first time this week!
Here's more info:

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...pen-in-phoenix

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 10:43 PM

Sort of astonishing that the neighbors would have enough pull with council members to get the license denied, Sal must have been involved. With other restaurants and bars in the immediate proximity there is no precedence to deny them.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I don't know how I missed this. I was disappointed to see a few places closing at that intersection but Little O's and this will make this a beer hub! Hell yea! Love it even more now that I read about the Blink 182 connection to the name. Can't wait for this.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 12:09 AM

Small updates:

New sassy breakfast joint at the Cambria (replacing Poppy) called Breakfast Bitch.

The Josephine is now a place called ‘Character’

Lucky Lounge, between Sazerac and Film Bar on 2nd St, promises to be a 70’s themed bar and is having a soft opening this Thursday (12/10)

Highball has replaced Sidebar on 7th Ave

Tacos and Tequila has replaced Humble Pie on 7th St

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 12:13 AM

I always remarked I was one of the few who really liked Humble Pie. It just hit me that I was, in fact, one of the few who really liked Humble Pie.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Small updates:

New sassy breakfast joint at the Cambria (replacing Poppy) called Breakfast Bitch.

Lucky Lounge, between Sazerac and Film Bar on 2nd St, promises to be a 70’s themed bar and is having a soft opening this Thursday (12/10)

Thanks for the updates. The last one has me baffled. Didn't Taco and Tequila fail at 40th St and Indian School?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Thanks for the updates. The last one has me baffled. Didn't Taco and Tequila fail at 40th St and Indian School?
This place is called Tacos Tijuana

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Small updates:

It looks like it’s called Tacos Tijuana, as if we don’t have enough tacos joints,lol. But it’s definitely remarkable how many businesses are opening as some close. Downtown will boom this year with all the apartments that will open this year. Even if the Suns don’t have a lot of fans. I’m sure by the time baseball starts, the Dbacks should be at half full which is about as full as it gets anyway,lol. I hope Willys Taco Joint opens back up! I think it will, they depend on events. Colliers Center is the most depleted out of anywhere I’ve seen, Hard Rock must of saw this coming closing before Corona and The Park closing along with most of the fast food in there. Hope to see Colliers fill up as Adeline completes and fills up!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
It looks like it’s called Tacos Tijuana, as if we don’t have enough tacos joints,lol. But it’s definitely remarkable how many businesses are opening as some close. Downtown will boom this year with all the apartments that will open this year. Even if the Suns don’t have a lot of fans. I’m sure by the time baseball starts, the Dbacks should be at half full which is about as full as it gets anyway,lol. I hope Willys Taco Joint opens back up! I think it will, they depend on events. Colliers Center is the most depleted out of anywhere I’ve seen, Hard Rock must of saw this coming closing before Corona and The Park closing along with most of the fast food in there. Hope to see Colliers fill up as Adeline completes and fills up!
It's interesting for sure. While many businesses have been forced to shut, it also presents a new opportunity for people to start a business and chase their dreams with cheaper rents. It's all about timing, and unfortunately many restaurants are a victim us this. But it's great to see that it hasn't dampened the entrepreneurial spirit and many others are willing to jump in head first now. Hopefully things get back to normal soon so these new businesses can survive.

It it were me I sure as hell wouldn't be opening anything right now unless I knew I had enough cash to burn for 12-months. And I don't love burning cash, so I'd probably try and wait it out a few more months until things seem to turn back for good.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Small updates:

I get the above reference for "Breakfast Bitch" tied to "its brittney bitch" (maybe?) but I sure as hell wouldn't take my kids there. Doesn't seem like a family friendly breakfast joint lol. Bold move tho!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:30 PM

I think it's just the millennial idea of "funny". So to say "it's breakfast, bitch!" It sounds basic and unintelligent to me, I won't be going.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I think it's just the millennial idea of "funny". So to say "it's breakfast, bitch!" It sounds basic and unintelligent to me, I won't be going.
Gimmick for sure. I give it a year, tops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest