HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:52 AM

Fuego just opened at the Clarendon Hotel this weekend. The last few days there’s been a sizable crowd inside and on the patio.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:06 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
You repeat this every time La Piazza restaurant is mentioned. It's unfortunate you didn't have good experiences there, but maybe it's time to let go of those memories. I've stopped complaining about Jon Talton, in part due to your comments. Maybe you can do the same for this defunct restaurant?
I will but it's unlikely to come up again. Not fond of Cibo either, have I mentioned that too often?

Last edited by pbenjamin; Sep 5, 2020 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:33 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'll try. Not fond of Cibo either, have I mentioned that too often?
No, first time I remember hearing that, so you get a pass on that one!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:45 PM

Phoenix Public Market Cafe has fully closed and vacated the building. Unsure of how recently it was cleared out, but I just noticed it was empty while walking by last night. Sad to see another big 3rd space hub for downtown go under.

Fortunately the Downtown Phoenix Farmers Market on Saturdays in the parking lot adjacent will still continue on uninterrupted.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post
Phoenix Public Market Cafe has fully closed and vacated the building. Unsure of how recently it was cleared out, but I just noticed it was empty while walking by last night. Sad to see another big 3rd space hub for downtown go under.

Fortunately the Downtown Phoenix Farmers Market on Saturdays in the parking lot adjacent will still continue on uninterrupted.
That’s unfortunate news, I really enjoyed their food and service! Good to hear the Saturday market will still be happening and hopefully can be moved to another location like Civic Space Park. That entire block desperately needs to be redeveloped!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 10:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post

This is not disappointing but not surprising. The owner has been in and out of all sorts of restaurants over the past few years and had retrenched recently by divesting himself of his ventures in Tempe. When the Phoenix Public Market Cafe didn't even try takeout/delivery business when everything went sideways back in March, it seemed like a permanent closure was inevitable.

As for the location, it seems like it's only a matter of time until the site is sold for high-rise development, perhaps with the farmers market moving to Hance Park or the Civic Space. If that doesn't happen and another restaurant moves into the building, I hope it will have its own brand name and identity distinct from the market. There always seemed to be a lot of confusion of the two.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 6:38 PM

ANOTHER Brewery coming to Roosevelt Row

Don't think I ever heard about this one up until now. Nice to finally see the old commercial buildings North of Bliss coming to life.

Roosevelt Row Will Welcome Yet Another Brewery Next Year
Quote:
Safe Haven Brewery is currently under construction at Roosevelt and Fourth streets — specifically, 915 North Fourth Street — in downtown Phoenix. Formerly retail space, this 5,000-square-foot spot will soon be a seven-barrel craft brewery overseen by Gus Fowler and his dad, Rykert Fowler. The former Fowler is an experienced beer man, having worked at The Shop Beer Co. in Tempe, as well as Pedal Haus and downtown Chandler’s SanTan Brewing. We recently caught up with this veteran Valley brewer.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...owler-11491836

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Don't think I ever heard about this one up until now. Nice to finally see the old commercial buildings North of Bliss coming to life.

Roosevelt Row Will Welcome Yet Another Brewery Next Year

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...owler-11491836
That row of old buildings have been neglected for so long, it’s great to hear one of them will be rehabilitated. Another brewery downtown, assuming all pan out, will bring the count to 9 by next year. Half of these are still in the build out or visioning stages.

These breweries include:

Greenwood
State 48
Wilderness
OHSO
RBTS
Pedal Haus
Grand Ave
Huss
and now Safe Haven

Cheers!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:42 PM

The Easley's Fun Shop building is becoming a brewery as well.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The Easley's Fun Shop building is becoming a brewery as well.
Yep...that's RBTS on his list. Pretty damn awesome how many breweries have popped up. I believe State 48 Brewery was the first one and the scene has just blown up since...

Edit: I guess Mother Bunch Brewing would actually be considered the first?

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Sep 9, 2020 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 6:58 AM

There’s another brewery opening soon too, something Tap House in the house next to that big thing they build behind Taco Chelo. I think it’s a brewery or at least another bar.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:56 PM

Pane Bianco Van Buren Is Closing, Tratto Is Moving, and a New Bar Bianco Is Opening

A shuffling of sorts...Tratto moving to the Van Buren building and food is pretty great!

Quote:
First, the bad news: Pane Bianco Van Buren is closing.

But the location itself — the former Roland’s Cafe Market Bar, at 1505 East Van Buren Street — will stay within pizzaiolo Chris Bianco’s family of restaurants. The space will soon be home to Tratto, which is relocating from the Town and Country Shopping Center in east Phoenix.

The current, 50-seat Tratto is just 1,100 square feet. Pane Bianco Van Buren clocks in at 4,000 square feet, with a lounge area, and a larger kitchen for Bianco and Chef Cassie Shortino. It'll require something of a reconfiguration, Bianco acknowledges in his post.

“I am working hard to transform the 103-year-old brick building into something that is very special and a fit for our times we find ourselves in,” Bianco says.

The Central Avenue location of Pane Bianco, the original of the two, will remain open. Its New York-style pizza program continues nightly,Bianco says.

The former Tratto space is also staying in the Bianco family. It will house a new location of Bar Bianco, opening “God willing” on October 15.

This way, the Town and County location of Pizzeria Bianco will have a Bar Bianco next door, just like the Heritage Square location does.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 11:01 PM

I read his Instagram post yesterday. His words are so jumbled it's hard to follow but worth reading to get the full scope. Quite disappointed I never went to Pane in Garfield but glad it'll remain one of his restaurants.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-g9xrHJGo/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 12:01 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I read his Instagram post yesterday. His words are so jumbled it's hard to follow but worth reading to get the full scope. Quite disappointed I never went to Pane in Garfield but glad it'll remain one of his restaurants.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-g9xrHJGo/
I love his food, but jumbled is a good word for both the words and the business plan. Since its renovation, that building has been home to three restaurants in a short time span: Roland's, Pane Bianco, and Tratto. Although the approach is more disorganized than I could tolerate, I'm glad that he has the resources to try different experiments and change plans as needed.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 1:51 AM

I got an email saying Arrogant Butcher is opening on the 23rd. I was getting nervous.

Any news on the VIG or the Park?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 3:16 AM

Some observations around Roosevelt this evening:

While not at full capacity, the area had the most people I’ve seen since pre-Covid

Paz appears to have reopened

Wilderness, Bliss, and Sazerac had packed patios, as much as they would allow

Tamie Co Cookies, which we know was in the process of converting to a pizza slice shop pre-COVID, has new signage and awnings. Looking closer to opening.

Work still progress on Chez Gregory, the old house immediately E of the Circle K, east of 7th St and Roosevelt

Now or Never retail boutique at the NEC of Central/Roosevelt is shaping up with the interior beginning to fill with merchandise. Their FB says opening later in Sept.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 11:54 PM

And the good news keeps flowing. The minds behind Wren House Brewing are opening a beer/wine bar (the Wayward) in the former Third Space spot on Grand Ave.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...M3KpUYpPvZzOrg

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I got an email saying Arrogant Butcher is opening on the 23rd. I was getting nervous.

Any news on the VIG or the Park?
I think The Park is closed for good, the sign is taken down. the Vig Filmore is still temporary closed

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I think The Park is closed for good, the sign is taken down. the Vig Filmore is still temporary closed
That’s too bad, but that spot and the hard rock spot are absolutely prime for new restaurants, I imagine some new ventures will move in fairly quickly.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 1:56 PM

Tilted Kilt's Cityscape location is also closed for good. All signage has been taken down. Not sure if that had been noted on here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest