HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

The $10 million figure I'd suspect is the up front cost he'll have to put into the project the rest of the money probably from condo sales to build the building.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 5:31 PM
On Guard For Thee

The $10 million figure I'd suspect is the up front cost he'll have to put into the project the rest of the money probably from condo sales to build the building.

So perhaps not that ridiculous a suggestion on my part after all. Look, I'm not coming out and saying this as a swipe at Stinson--the numbers simply do not compute. If you don't like my use of the City Centre example--perhaps refer back to the fact that it cost over $1 million to build a well-appointed steakhouse in an existing hotel. Installling soft surfaces and furnishings alone can be astronomically expensive--let alone demolition costs and construction on a small footprint (which can actually be more expensive, depending on the site).

As for the boutique hotel concept--it may be that there is a market in Hamilton for one--I have no idea. What I have yet to see is anyone else seize on the opportunity--part of me believes that Stinson has decided that there is a market for one--and that's that...a grand gesture if you will without due dilligence.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 5:40 PM
Registered Drug User

As mentioned by someone else on this thread, entrepreneurs come in many different flavours. Someone like Stinson sets himself up for ridicule, and he deserves it. But if he succeeds, then bully for him. One King West was a great project, no question.

People like Stinson are what keep the peanut gallery busy. And hey, I like peanuts sometimes. "Sometimes" is the operative word here, though.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 9:34 PM

I am sorry to hear you see downtown revitalization as trivial as a peanut gallery.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:02 PM

Just a quick reminder back to the Spec article that included the infamous Stinson napkin quote. Here is the exerpt from the interview:

Quote:
To pass muster with the owners, Stinson said, any new offer from him will have to include proof of substantial outside financing.

"I appreciate that, and I wouldn't have the nerve to show up and say, 'Here, I've got another napkin with some ideas written on it.' "
The entire article can be found here

No word on whether the napkins had any stains from peanut shells, which obviously would contribute to the project's failure...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:16 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I am sorry to hear you see downtown revitalization as trivial as a peanut gallery.
You don't understand the concept. Downtown revitalization is the show. Actually, anything can be the show. We're the audience. We heckle. It can be fun. If it hurts the actors' feelings then they give up their dreams of theatrical glory and become accountants. Everyone wins.

You and I and everyone west of Mississauga know that an 100-storey tower is not going to get built on the Connaught site. I won't say "never," because at some point in the grand scheme of things pigs will most likely grow wings and start flying--never say "never," as they say. Still, what would you rather have: no 100-storey tower and no fun, or no 100-storey tower and someone like Harry Stinson to mock?

Sigh...we've lost touch with our British roots, and have become earnest bores like the Americans. Actually, Canadians were always probably earnest bores, since so many of us back in the day were Scottish. I'm a Russian-Mennonite, so believe me, I know about earnest boredom. In any case, it's clear you need to be reminded that mockery is a noble sport going back to Swift. Furthermore, any other city in Canada should be so lucky to have a character like Stinson show up on their doorstep!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:07 PM

Stinson clearly stated in his interview that he is not a quitter, and he has the track record to back it up.

Downtown Hamilton is in a depressed state with little momentum and we need people like him who are persistent (or just stubborn!) , because whatever project is proposed is going to come up against a lot roadblocks and naysayers and those who don't want anything to change.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 5:17 PM

Fact remains that he got shit done elsewhere despite the projects having tanked financially. The economic spinoffs from his past failures (or successes however you want to look at it) are lasting even though the investors lost money. Unfortunately the more times he does this, the less anyone will give him a chance.

Great cities were built because people made money doing it, that's the hard fact of downtown renewal. When people lose money but the project goes on to benefit others, that's an accident - not one we should count on happening here.

I think he should build a 5 or 6 storey streetfront on the land he owns and have a restaurant / bar at ground level. We know he can at least handle that. Then the top floors will be prestige appartments which he can offload to some management company. If there was a taller rooftop patio that would stick it to London Tap House, well that would just be ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 6:06 PM
Closed account

?? ridiculous? I'd love a taller rooftop patio around there.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 6:44 PM

Sorry, I use ridiculous to refer to good things. London Tap House had potential but it's crazy that they don't only have no taps up there, but you can't bring a pint from the main floor where the taps while existant are terrible. And you have to pay nightclub cover just to get on the roof. That place needs to be shown.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 6:58 PM
Closed account

I've never had to pay to get on the rooftop.
Late at night?? I've been for lunch and dinner.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 7:41 PM
Hammer'd

I had a meal on the roof this week. It was great and I didn't need to pay any kind of cover. I can't wait to return for a few more drinks.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 7:55 PM
Closed account

late night weekends a lot of places charge to get in.
Virtually all of Hess Village does this.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 8:32 PM

The Tap House has done some great things for the area. I don't think it was ever meant to be a Tap house a la London England anyway! (The London in the name is for London Ontario after the first tap house they opened)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Stinson clearly stated in his interview that he is not a quitter, and he has the track record to back it up.
Abso-tively. Noticed that his screen saver reads "The Connaught Towers". I like to think that that's no typo.

Also, is London Tap's menu any better since its opening month? Last time I went it I found it to be a pretentious mess.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hammer'd

Nope, it's still severely lacking. Only 3 things on the entire menu could be considered real food, the others were just pub grub.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 11:36 PM

Hmmm

Does anyone here know how to get in touch with harry stinson or his company?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hammer'd

Drop by his office on John St. North? I just saw him there today, he's always sitting there. He's a friendly guy, you should be able to get some time with him if you stop in.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:25 AM
Closed account

where on John North??

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:42 AM

^the old Liaison College?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton