HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 2:12 PM
Hammer'd

Definitely looking very good.

I only wish they had put on more additions to it. This building would look really nice with about 3 more floors.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 2:32 PM
Closed account

Totally! AND it looks even better than the rendering!
Thanks for the update, Matt602!

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 6:25 PM

I love it! It looks very european to me.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:48 AM

I saw this building everyday while it was being renovated (since I take the GO to work) and I wasn't sure what to make of it during that time.

But now that it's pretty much taken it's final form, I have to say I like it. I think it's all those windows that really add to the look. When it's fully complete and there's some landscaping with nice greenery added around it - it'll look pretty sweet.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:44 AM
Closed account

I agree...at times during the reno I thought it stunk, but it turned out great...much better than the rendering.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

I like it because they still managed to renovate the building but kept its true architectural design (International design). I believe it’s still considered an International design. Think it’s the same architect that developed City Hall. Top it off with some nice landscaping layout along Hunter St it’ll be super.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:42 PM
Closed account

Yes, you're right. It was designed by Stanley Roscoe, and it was a lovely little gem of a building and I am very sorry to see it go. I'm afraid you couldn't really classify what they've done to it as International Style. More like Early Suburban Dentist's Office. I wouldn't mind it if it had been built anywhere else, I'm just sad that it replaced a truly remarkable building.

Our forebears didn't appreciate Victorian architecture, so much of our Victorian heritage was destroyed in a bid to 'renew' our city. Now we're doing the same thing to our Modernist heritage. Our kids are going to be pissed.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 4:33 PM
Closed account

^^ That's true! I used to hate City Hall, now I can actually appreciate it seeing the stuff they build now.

Does anyone have a pic of the original? I swore I took one but can't find it anywhere... I was probably too turned off to by the homeless that used to call this building 'home'.
I'm so glad it's been reno'd, it'll definately add more life to the GO Stn area!

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 6:22 PM
Closed account

Here's a link:

http://pages.interlog.com/~urbanism/moham.html

Scroll down past the City Hall pics. These pics don't really do it justice, I'll keep looking. He also designed the Westdale library which has since been completely emasculated. I saw a picture of the original building and it had this gorgeous cantilevered glass canopy over the entrance. Now it's just a stucco box. If I can find that pic, I'll post it as well. It's terrible what we've done to Stan Roscoe's legacy. Future generations will NOT be impressed. Thank God the City Hall was saved.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 10:53 PM

This should be the last update for this building as it is 99% done and looking through the windows it is full.

This is a plaque that is in front of the building

Here is the view of what is across the street.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 11:59 PM

So I guess when city hall is all redone we'll have a situation where the go station is a nicer building than city hall... wierd.. .really really wierd.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 12:58 AM

I was a real skeptic about 1 Hunter, but they've done a fantastic job (finally). I hope the stucco doesn't get stained by the Hamilton air too quickly, or the elegant white and beige will start to look like this:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 1:44 AM
Closed account

even though it's stucco, I don't mind this building.
But it doesn't do any justice to what used to be there.
If it was built on an empty lot I'd be praising it, but praise is tempered considering what was there before.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 12:56 PM
Closed account

I agree. It's a net loss. The old Public Health building was a gem and should have been designated. Now they're desecrating City Hall, they've already desecrated the Westdale Library. Soon we'll have nothing of Roscoe left.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 1:46 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I'm afraid you couldn't really classify what they've done to it as International Style. More like Early Suburban Dentist's Office. I wouldn't mind it if it had been built anywhere else, I'm just sad that it replaced a truly remarkable building.

Our forebears didn't appreciate Victorian architecture, so much of our Victorian heritage was destroyed in a bid to 'renew' our city. Now we're doing the same thing to our Modernist heritage. Our kids are going to be pissed.
that's hilarious "Dentist Office" Sadly though I agree totally. I'm a fan of modernist and even brutalist if only because they mark a time in history of can represent what human behaviour valued and they functioned in a given time.

Everyone imo is being to kind to this building. I think it sucks. It is too squat, it has no style and to even piss me off more, they tore down a building to build this when there is vacant lots everywhere.

If history will label our buildings now, since I think Post-modernism is over now, today's architectural style will be called "Disposablism". ANd what will posterity say about our society? That we cared for very little, not even where we lived, we wanted cheap, quick, easy money, instagratification and something for nothing.

This building will be torn down in 20 years and will look like hell in 12. If it looses its law firm tenants, Blanchard will never lease this piece of non-design building, unless its filled with dentists.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 2:06 PM
Closed account

^^ I agree the stucco was a poor choice.. it always is in this climate really.
But I like this bldg.
I like the fact that you can see the working elevator thru the middle window. that's kinda neat. The landscaping was done nice too. I like that they laid a diagonal flagstone path from Hunter to James since they knew ppl would be walking thru that corner anyway.

I like it. Good job.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 3:14 PM

They tore nothing down. They added one floor and I think the building looks great. The old building is under the Styrofoam.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:14 PM

New surface parking on James and Hughson. Awesome.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
The old building is under the Styrofoam.
exactly.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:18 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
exactly.
good to know. that the styrofoam is buried under this building. the question remains. is this building better than its predecessor?

I'm all for nostalgia and history, but if a building or land use improves then I'm for tearing it down for a better building or land use. sidebar: enough with the fuckn parkettes already, don't people have enough places for their dogs to shit?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton