HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hunter/Bay | ? | 11 fl | Approved

Rendering.....

Condo developer wants to raze heritage homes

August 24, 2007
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 24, 2007)

When structures of the past stand in the way of future development, can there be a compromise that respects new and old?

A plan to demolish three downtown houses of heritage interest to make way for condos is slowly winding its way through City Hall. It landed yesterday in front of the city's heritage committee, which was less than enthusiastic about the project's attempt at "symbolic conservation."

The developer, Alokin at Hunter, wants to tear down the pocket of homes in the shadows of highrises on Hunter Street just west of Bay Street to build a 64-unit, 11-storey condo building. Council has already approved a $1.3 million loan to help the building move ahead.

The $20-million project, which was set to start in November, includes plans for a lower front storey to maintain the current streetscape. Historic features, like fireplaces and banisters, from the homes will also be kept for the lobby.

A heritage consultant hired by the builder ruled the homes, which date back to 1860, 1890 and 1917, were not significant enough to demand preservation.

"We've gone the extra mile," said architect Rick Lintack.

But tearing down a historical property to build a highrise with a "heritage door" isn't a compromise at all, argued committee member Michael Adkins.

"If this goes through, we're going to set a nasty precedent."

Adkins would prefer to see the owner restore the homes, now divided into 11 apartments, as single family homes or maintain the buildings as part of the project.

"They could work with it ... if they weren't so greedy."

Mark Janjic, whose family has owned the property since the '60s, recoils at the word "greed." While the group is "ambitious," they are also investing money in the downtown, he said.

"That makes my blood boil ... I think we're doing something good for the neighbourhood."

The project has the support of downtown Councillor Bob Bratina, who argues it meets the city's goal of bringing more people to live in the core. The three houses likely wouldn't be missed, either, he said.

"I'm not sure what history will be lost ... they're basically an island among highrises."

A heritage advocate himself, Bratina said it's important to be selective about what properties are worth going to the wall for. This one isn't, he said.

Anne Charlton, chair of the heritage committee, agrees it's important to pick your battles.

"This is a real toughie," she said, explaining the houses embody old Hamilton. "I also understand that you can't keep everything. Each one of these is a heartbreaker."

At the very least, she wants the developer to bring back a design that doesn't just offer "token" heritage features. The committee voted to defer the issue to their next meeting to give the builder time to meet with local community members.

Janjic said the project is already costing more because of the added heritage elements.

"We've jumped through all of the hoops."

His father, Nic, is more pointed about what could happen to the project if the heritage committee puts up a fight.

"We're going to scrap it and let it burn."

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:09 PM
Closed account

anyone know the status of this project??

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:40 PM
Closed account

I emailed Bratina about it when this article first surfaced... yet to hear anything. hahaha
He's a budy man, apparently!?

Well the houses are still standing... I'm assuming their working out final plans and a (hopefully) a better rendering. I'm pretty sure the one above was just for reference.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:22 PM
Cambridgite

WTF! Aren't there enough parking lots in downtown Hamilton to build on?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:26 PM
Closed account

yup

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:24 PM

Ah, but this is Durand. Much more lucrative a market than John and Catherine for example. Although if someone developed all those parking lots around John St, they could infill them with grids and practically have a whole new neighbourhood of high quality, that's how much geography is currently dedicated to pavement.

A note to the builders: Please, spare us that first story 'tribute' to the buildings you're smashing down. I would rather forget.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

LACAC approved the project, demo will happen. Pre-sales will start shortly.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:49 PM

I really hope that the design of this building changes...it is hideous!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:00 PM

I think it looks like garbage. Maybe the front part of it would look good on its own, and even the tall part, but together it's just ridiculous. I would rather see a decent looking condo tower without attempting some pathetic symbolic preservation of the the good buildings that were sacrificed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:24 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I can't believe that people that design this poorly can find employment.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:56 PM

Here is a letter I sent to the arcitect for this project:

I'm writing in regards to the proposed condominium at Bay and Hunter. I am fully supportive of intensifying downtown neighbourhoods and am greatful that your client is investing in Hamilton. However, I would like you to reconsider the design approach to this building. It would be nice to see high quality architectural design over an attempt to replicate what was there through "symbolic conservation".

I know your firm has the capabilities of achieving higher quality architectural design (e.g. Annex Lofts, Hamilton Community Energy Centre Project) and hope that your team can be more ambitious with the design of this building. Incorporating higher quality design will likely have improved benefit for your firm through recognition as a leader in Hamilton and your client will likely benefit from improved sales on their units.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:09 PM
Closed account

I'm hoping that this rendering is a "conceptual drawing"!
It DOES look like they paid some High School kid $20 to throw this design together in his/her drafting class! hahaha

Great email, Block... lets hope they give us a Vancouver-style tower rather than another attempt at "recreating" history.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:18 PM
Closed account

I'd prefer a Paris-style building. Great letter.
I'd like to know how architects are getting work these days too:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=big+box+store

A 5 year old wouldn't be ABLE to design something this bad. They've got creativity surging through their veins. Apparently any idiot can be an architect these days.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

120, 124, 128-130 Hunter Street West, Hamilton, Heritage Impact Assessment (J. Webb, WEBB Planning Consultants Inc.) (Item 8.1) TABLED August 23, 2007

James Webb, professional land use planner addressed Committee. He provided a brief overview of the background of this Item which was TABLED at the last meeting until today’s meeting.

He advised that as per the Committee’s directive, the proponents have met with the Durand Neighourhood’s Association. In his opinion, the project was generally well received by the Association. The main concern expressed by the Association is that it opposes vacant lots and requested a short turn around time between demolition and rebuilding.

The proponents also met with the Heritage Permit Review Sub-Committee and received its input. Comments by the Sub-Committee which were recorded by staff are in support of the proposed salvage elements.

James Webb made a presentation of some of the architectural design principles. He indicated that the location is west of Bay Street and the buildings are sandwiched by apartment buildings built in the 1950’s.

He provided various views of Hunter Street and noted that there is an existing streetscape but it is a low profile one relative to the apartment buildings. He pointed out the proposed Hunter Street elevations. He illustrated the key features of the proposed building. With computer generated drawings, he illustrated how the building will retain part of that streetscape.

James Webb outlined the proposed reuse of heritage elements which included the interior to the front entrance, the fireplace, and the main staircase with carved banister from the house at 128 Bay Street, the keystones from the house at 120 Bay Street and the fireplace detail at 130 Bay Street, and the front entrance of the house at 124 Bay Street. The demolition permit will specify what elements the proponent will be required to save and it will be subject to the Ontario Building Code.

Diane Dent indicated that she is disappointed there is no photo of the existing buildings and asked whether the owner would allow members of LACAC to tour the buildings.

James Webb explained the chronology of the project. The first stage is the demolition and during the rebuilding process, the City can impose conditions on the building permit. There will be a two (2) years time limit to rebuild after demolition has taken place. The marketing campaign has not yet begun. The proponents hope to achieve pre-sales by next year. No demolition will occur until the pre-sales have been confirmed. Staff will comment on the site plan applications.

(Bratina/Wakeman)
That the rules of procedure be waived to allow Graham Crawford, who is a member of the Hamilton Historical Board to address Committee from the audience with respect to this issue.
CARRIED

Graham Crawford advised that the Durand Neighbourhood Association suggested the owner use the existing buildings as a sales site.

Councillor Bratina explained that if the tenants were evicted, the buildings may remain empty. It was noted that the Owner doesn’t have plans to board up the buildings prior to the demolition permit.

(Bratina/French)
That the Hamilton LACAC (Municipal Heritage Committee) approve the heritage assessment study of 120, 124, 128-130 Hunter Street West and the study recommendations.
CARRIED

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:02 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 3:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Hopefully they're redoing the design :s

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 4:53 PM
Closed account

sounds like the developer doesn't want to do it now. FYI.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:02 PM
Closed account

^^ how did you find that out?
Were they actually just pretending to build so they'd have an excuse to demolish historical properties? Seems to be a fad in this city!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:04 PM
Closed account

no, I can't say.
they haven't demolished anything have they??

Last edited by raisethehammer; Aug 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM. Reason: added a question

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton