HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:52 PM

Fire @ King & Catharine?

I just got back from downtown, and I had to quickly transfer from bus to bus so I didn't get to see.

Anyways, there was about 3-4 fire trucks and large gathering of people in front of the Royal Connaught building at King and Catharine. Didn't see or smell smoke though.

Anyone know what happened? Everything looked fine from where I was around King and James, but they were there for over an hour, and both times they had a gathering around.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 4:05 PM

LikeHamilton wrote this on another board. It may hold your answer.

Quote:
Yes I got in! The fire department was there that day and I got in with them. Great to have friends in low places!
Yes I walked up to the 12th floor.
The fire department had 4 or 5 vehicles there and about 15 people. They where checking it out and doing some drawings on the building in case there is a problem or fire in it. They are concerned because even though they are told the building is secured, they are noticing more and more graffiti on it high up and more and more widows open or broken. They are afraid someone will start a fire in it or get hurt. They found some problems with fire fighting system being broken in some places. They feel that they will not be able to use the systems in it and will be forced to drag hoses up the stairwells or up ladder to fight a fire.
They have turned over the problems/violations to their fire prevention inspectors. The problem with the building is the legal status. If the building is under renovations, it is governed under the building code and the building department/property standards has jurisdiction and fire department has no jurisdiction. If it is under demolition or is just a building, then the fire department can order repairs.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:47 PM
Hammer'd

They're doing a movie shoot at the Connaught right now, so it may have had something to do with the movie. Were they Hamilton fire trucks?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:50 PM

I walked by at lunch today. It was part of the movie shoot. There was a guy with a camera filming people in fire fighter gear using the dials on the side of the truck.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
They're doing a movie shoot at the Connaught right now, so it may have had something to do with the movie. Were they Hamilton fire trucks?
The whole Connaught pkng lot is full of trucks, trailers, cars, etc for a movie shoot. That might also explain the recent changes inside that LikeHamilton (I think) noticed.

What's going to happen to our film industry once all our abandoned bldgs are reno'd? I guess Brantford will be the next filming 'boomtown' hahaha

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:57 PM
Hammer'd

It's actually kind of depressing to me. I thought that all of the changes inside were for re-developing the building finally. Nope. Just another damn movie shoot.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
Closed account

looked like a movie shoot to me, especially when they towed away a cop car. lol.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:47 PM

Last night they had some police cars with the old "To Serve & Protect" slogan on them out front of the Connaught.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:52 PM

Last night they had some police cars with the old "To Serve & Protect" slogan on them out front of the Connaught.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton