HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This beauty at 2202 W Grand Ave (Grand & Leavitt) is being torn down and being replaced by a new 4 story, 21 unit building with ground floor retail and 27 indoor parking spaces

https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...!4d-87.6820898

$50 says the new building, though, will look like the 5 story building across the street.
That is a YUGE turd across the street! So ugly.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:15 PM

I love Pioneer Court, temporary things hosted there ok but leave it open. One of the best places to view our city especially one of my favorites the Carbide & Carbon building. oh wait....nevermind 8(

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
That is a YUGE turd across the street! So ugly.
The owner applied for a zoning change back in 2018 to build 40+ units but it never got approved it looks like. So it's 21 now - some Chicagoan who lives in South Florida now.

The architect is John Hanna so you can probably make a very good guess as to what it'll look like.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:44 PM

I heard a rumor Ikea is looking at spaces on Michigan Avenue, which I think would be great. It would probably be more of a showroom concept with limited inventory.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:30 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
$50 says the new building, though, will look like the 5 story building across the street.
Ugh, I hate that turd of a building. I frequently drive along that stretch of Grand and it looks like such a suburban econobox. Bleh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I heard a rumor Ikea is looking at spaces on Michigan Avenue, which I think would be great. It would probably be more of a showroom concept with limited inventory.
This would be pretty cool!

In addition to this, I also wish Ikea would just make the leap and open a full store in the city. They have been toying with the idea of opening one in the South Loop or the Clybourn corridor for what seems like a decade or two now, they just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:16 PM

An IKEA in the city would be a fan-freakin'-tastic idea, they need to make it happen.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:54 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
An IKEA in the city would be a fan-freakin'-tastic idea, they need to make it happen.
Indeed. Also, maybe Lego can open a Discovery Center or whatever the fuck they're called. Basically steal from Schaumburg...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Indeed. Also, maybe Lego can open a Discovery Center or whatever the fuck they're called. Basically steal from Schaumburg...
Schaumburg won’t let that happen. It’s got too much going for it. Ask Steely Dan, he knows…

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 10:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Schaumburg won’t let that happen. It’s got too much going for it. Ask Steely Dan, he knows…
We're thinking of moving into one of those 2nd floor apartments over the stores on those cozy and quaint streets of woodfield.

Urban living, here we come!!!

(Close to the Lego store too)

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 24, 2021 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:16 AM
Urbane observer

25 years ago, when IKEA was first thinking of coming to Chicago, I met with a group exploring their options. They were pretty sure they'd be opening a suburban 80,000 sq footer—same as they have all over the world—but I encouraged them to also do a flagship store on the Mag Mile (like one they have in central Stockholm) that's just housewares that can be hand-carried—no furniture. I think fashion-focused people miss how much of Mag Mile sales are "presents for the people back home," whether those people are in India, or Indiana.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
25 years ago, when IKEA was first thinking of coming to Chicago, I met with a group exploring their options. They were pretty sure they'd be opening a suburban 80,000 sq footer—same as they have all over the world—but I encouraged them to also do a flagship store on the Mag Mile (like one they have in central Stockholm) that's just housewares that can be hand-carried—no furniture. I think fashion-focused people miss how much of Mag Mile sales are "presents for the people back home," whether those people are in India, or Indiana.
Shipping and delivery is such a big market. Ikea opened up a store in Midtown Manhattan that consists of a design studio only. Nothing to buy, no meatballs, just a couple of rooms and then areas to design kitchens, closets, living rooms, etc. They are booked solid for appointments.

I agree that something like that with a small market would be pretty popular on the Mag Mile.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:26 PM

It is funny to see all the hand wringing over the Mag mile - when I worked next to it ( NorthWestern ) it was a nice place to people watch, but a desert for anyone who actually worked in the area. The Chicago Plaza (?) had an almost reasonable food court, but everything else - even the Walgreens - had tourist prices.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
We're thinking of moving into one of those 2nd floor apartments over the stores on those cozy and quaint streets of woodfield.

Urban living, here we come!!!

(Close to the Lego store too)
Interestingly, the shopping mall near our house in Vernon Hills (Hawthorne Place) is undergoing a huge redevelopment to become just that. Create a “town center” type of retail with apartments.

A lot of struggling malls are undergoing this type of transformation, in a sense bringing a bit of the city to the suburbs

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 5:40 PM

I think it’s a great idea for Michigan Ave. An IKEA design center would be perfect in the old Gap flagship. Large windows to show off staged room displays.

No matter the day, Michigan Ave is bustling with activity. Even the malls have decent foot traffic. I’m not going fret about the futures of the malls, they’ll be fine, but a few of the retail only buildings need to be replaced with mixed use towers…Uniqlo/topshop, old Apple store, saks/Disney store. Those are the big 3 corner vacancies right now.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 6:05 PM

I wish Eataly was on Michigan - even as a local it would make going to it a little more fun.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 3:59 PM
TL;DR

I too am surprised there is no street-level Lego store on the Mag Mile, I do think it would be popular. NYC at least 2 prominent Lego stores despite having a Discovery Center out in the Meadowlands and a full Legoland theme park out in the exurbs.

IKEA is also an exciting concept for Mag Mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I also wish Ikea would just make the leap and open a full store in the city. They have been toying with the idea of opening one in the South Loop or the Clybourn corridor for what seems like a decade or two now, they just can't seem to pull the trigger.
It's not like there is unlimited land in these areas... a full IKEA store has quite the footprint. They'd have to partner with a local developer too. Lincoln Yards has moved the conversation (and land values) in Clybourn Corridor away from big-box retail. I imagine if they did open a full store, it would go in some outlying industrial corridor. I-55 at Damen might be a good choice.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
A fancy dispensary - and dare I say smoking lounge - could be an interesting play on the Mag Mile as well. High rich people love to buy shit
Yeah, I don't think the people who freaked out over a Target as too low rent wouldn't absolutely spit nails at a smoking lounge or dispensary proposal.

I'd be stunned if one was ever allowed east of State.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:39 PM

came across this article in my morning browsing...

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/09...-neighborhood/

seems a different way of introducing a development to the neighborhood/city

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:26 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
came across this article in my morning browsing...

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/09...-neighborhood/

seems a different way of introducing a development to the neighborhood/city
Awesome news!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:20 PM
The City

^ That is great news.....until the NIMBYs in that area chime in

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development