HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 2:30 AM
BANNED

Sketchup Phoenix

I'm curious as most of you probably are of what phoenix would look like as a big city with no empty lots.... well I'm not very good with the program yet but I'm working on infilling of that. I don't know if anyone else does this with google earth and sketchup, but I'd like to see your work plus be able to exchange tips and tricks with other people. I know there is a forum dedicated to this but I want to talk Phoenix and only Phoenix and it seems the sketchup forum focuses mostly on imaginary cities.

Here I am so far.

The buliding on the far left is about 340ft and is on the NEC of 7th Street and Van Buren. All four cityscape towers are there, momentum, OCPE, two shorter buildings on OCPE lot, ALTA, ASU buildings, an apartment complex on the NEC of Fillmore and Central, and another building on the south side of Fllmore at Central.

I'm going to try to put some sort of color and texture to these and fill in everythign else realistically as possible. I like to play God.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:24 PM
BANNED

I like this thread. I just think that DT needs dense urban housing. A nice combination between owners and renters is ideal...not necessarily high rise development, but anthing between 4-7 story row houses is ideal. (Just think the all of the empty lots in N. DT along Fillmore/Roosevelt. IMO Alta is too big too soon for this city. What we need is more McKinley style lofts throughout.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I'm curious as most of you probably are of what phoenix would look like as a big city with no empty lots.... well I'm not very good with the program yet but I'm working on infilling of that. I don't know if anyone else does this with google earth and sketchup, but I'd like to see your work plus be able to exchange tips and tricks with other people. I know there is a forum dedicated to this but I want to talk Phoenix and only Phoenix and it seems the sketchup forum focuses mostly on imaginary cities.

Here I am so far.

The buliding on the far left is about 340ft and is on the NEC of 7th Street and Van Buren. All four cityscape towers are there, momentum, OCPE, two shorter buildings on OCPE lot, ALTA, ASU buildings, an apartment complex on the NEC of Fillmore and Central, and another building on the south side of Fllmore at Central.

I'm going to try to put some sort of color and texture to these and fill in everythign else realistically as possible. I like to play God.

Lets not be "TOO HOPEFUL" of this past rendering, seeing that the current

economy "HAS CHANGED THINGS A BIT"

if you know what I mean

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 11:34 PM
BANNED

added a little more today.

Biomed campus, a few other apartment complexes, etc.

any critique, requested adds, or criticism?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 12:07 PM
BANNED

John, I noticed how CS building 2 reflects the current plans of a 9-12 story hotel...nice job.

How about filling in AZ Center with a tower on the grassy knoll. Wasn't that originally supposed to be a hotel 20 years ago? Or instead of a tower, possibly a shorter structure that could support ground floor retail.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 3:13 PM

This looks like a lot of work.

I believe the W hotel was supposed to go on the northern half of that parcel of land just east of the basketball arena. 39 stories, 450 feet.

On the northern end of downtown, the 16 story Cosmopolitan Lofts never got built. It was around 3rd Street north of Fillmore if I recall correctly.

The there was The Jet on 1st Avenue north of Van Buren. 23 and 16 story towers, and Copper Pointe Condos in the same general area (one tower around 40 stories, but at one point they were talking three towers).

A complete listing of failed projects (although some of these aren't downtown):

--don

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 9:38 PM
this could have been...

nice work JV; very cool.
also, Don - nice detailed list, but 1 or 2 minor corrections:
Toll Bros. was proposed for SEC of Thomas and Central.
also, wasn't the Criqui's Phx Tower to be at around Central and I-10?
and Taylor Place is only 2 towers, at least for now.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 11:00 PM
BANNED

some of these projects I don't remember what they looked like shape or layout wise. I'll be needing someone to wrap the buildings in color as i just can't figure it out.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:05 AM
them bones

The Phoenix Tower (the 1,692' one) was planned for the NE corner of Central and Roosevelt.

Cielo I & II was 399' each (I've seen the completed design drawings).

...just useless info...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Big dreams. Sad thing is, even if all of those buildings existed, we would still be left with huge swaths of open developable land in DT.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest