HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:50 PM
Closed account

^^ I think he was talkin bout the unfinished rooms... from what I remember, the old rooms were pretty brutal.

I walked thru the Effort Square plaza (1st level, attached to the hotel) on rth's suggestion and I couldn't believe how good it looks in there, too! and there's a cafe, who knew!?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hammer'd

They look great to me.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 11:13 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Coco's seems to be standard issue with InterContinental Hotel Group....
http://www.holidayinnniagarafalls.com/

gold will look down there.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 12:02 AM
On Guard For Thee

60% are finished--to the best of my knowledge all are being done--though there may be some suites that were done previously that don't need the full-scale reno and will only get new "soft" materials. The major issue with this renovation (hence the high cost) was that the bathrooms had to be replaced--they were still vintage 1960s Holiday Inn.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 12:29 AM

My daughter worked on the Crowne Plaza project and I got a tour last year. Each floor was to be gutted. There is new everything! New plumbing, new electrical, new drywall etc. There is nothing cheap or shabby about anything they are putting in. Every floor was to be done. They are putting an entrance from the hotel to the new convention centre.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

A feather in his Crowne
The bar is raised as former Ramada gets a major makeover

April 16, 2008
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator

Hotelier Oscar Kichi unveiled what $7 million and 15 months of planning and renovations could do for his downtown Hamilton hotel yesterday.

It buys all new furniture and plasma flat screens for 216 rooms, plush carpeting and bedding, bathrooms with marble tile, raised sinks and glassed-in showers, a sleek new lobby with a stone wall and fireplace, a new restaurant and wine bar.

It also buys the less glamorous items like new plumbing, wiring, and heating and cooling systems.

The Ramada Plaza hotel on King Street East near Catharine, once tired and outdated, will be rebranded as an upscale Crowne Plaza in about a month. Standard rooms will rent for $139 a night, while five suites, some featuring Jacuzzi tubs, kitchenettes and fireplaces, will go for $249.

Sometime in June, Kichi's plan to open a conference and meeting centre next door will finally be realized. Yesterday, workers were mudding drywall amid a maze of scaffolding, pallets of wood and brick, and bags of concrete.

A former Odeon theatre will open as the Lincoln Alexander Conference Centre, featuring 33,000 square feet of convention floor space, a 400-seat lecture theatre and executive meeting rooms.

Kichi says he sought out the Crowne Plaza flag for his newest venture because the chain focuses on meeting the needs of business clients and attracting conferences.

"This city needs one-stop shopping for conferences and conventions."

The theatre's stage was extended to accommodate live shows and concerts. The space can also play movies, said Kichi.

The hotel's new restaurant, Coco's Mediterranean Restaurant and Wine Bar, will feature mixed cuisine and Ontario wines, under the direction of executive chef Sean Tweten.

Niagara-on-the-Lake designer Wendy Edwards has planned everything in the hotel and conference centre, from the public washrooms to the lobby and guest rooms.

InterContinental Hotels Group, which owns the Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels, has approved every choice, from wall colours to fabrics, said Edwards.

The chain's representatives will be doing an inspection of the site in the next few days, she said.

Existing hotel amenities include an indoor pool, a full-service spa and a fitness room. A hallmark of the Crowne Plaza is its Sleep Advantage: seven layers of comfort bedding and a sleep package for guests that includes a CD with sleep tips, an eye mask, ear plugs, lavender spray and a night light.

Kichi, who built the Marriott Courtyard on Upper James and has signalled his intention to build a hotel or even two at the McMaster Innovation Park, says his downtown conference centre plan was in place five years ago. But he couldn't secure financing until Effort Trust, which owns the building, stepped in to help land the funding.

The Iranian immigrant once made a fortune selling cars but was devastated by an economic slowdown and landed in prison after turning to fraud to pay his debts. He built a new life after revitalizing a bankrupt hotel on Upper James and bought the Ramada in 1998.

"I love old buildings and to bring something alive that is old," said Kichi. "This shows that you can do something great in the downtown."

Kichi has no shortage of ideas. He's dreamt of being part of a consortium that could save the storied Royal Connaught and he had visions of bringing an ambitious harbourfront development to Hamilton, including the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

Duncan Gillespie, CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Conference Facilities Inc., was clearly impressed by Kichi's project yesterday.

"What I see today is extremely encouraging. This raised the bar for existing and new hotels to meet and exceed the standard Oscar has set here with this one."

Gillespie hopes the hotel's revitalization triggers some momentum that can help the city land important events. For instance, he said HECFI has been courting the Canadian Country Music Association awards for a number of years.

"The stumbling block all along has been the lack of hotel rooms."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 9:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton hotel will offer high-speed Internet in all 216 of its rooms

April 16, 2008
Hamilton Spectator Staff

Hamilton's Crowne Plaza hotel will be among just eight in Canada, including a newly opened site in Niagara Falls. (A ninth location is slated to open in Calgary next year.)

There are 299 Crowne Plaza hotels in 52 countries.

Crowne Plaza hotels are owned by Intercontinental Hotels Group, a United Kingdom-based company that also owns the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites and Hotel Indigo brands.

Crowne Plaza hotels focus on hosting meetings and conferences, employing dedicated meeting directors at each site, "quiet zone" floors, same-day dry cleaning services and executive floors with business lounge areas and free evening cocktails.

The Hamilton hotel will offer 24-hour room service, a large work desk and high-speed Internet in each of its 216 rooms.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 9:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

Across from the old federal building on Main is where InterContinental Hotel is supposed to be built (range of 200 rooms I believe), this year residential loan program will probably request money.

Westin Hotel is rumoured for those two hotels on the School Boards property.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 9:27 AM
Closed account

^cool. the interior is a big step-up. i only wish the exterior was to receive the same treatment.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I think King and Queen.
There is a property at King and Queen formerly known as Mount St. Joseph. It was owned by the Sisters of St. Joseph. They have sold off some surplus properties around the city that were used as convents. Their main convent is on the southwest corner of Highways 6 & 403. (That's the beautiful building with the tower on top.) Quite a lot of the building was empty, so most of them moved back there. I'm pretty sure I read the Vranichs bought the Mt. St. Joseph property. Hard to imagine these guys doing business with nuns. I'm just wondering if those historic buildings will meet the same fate as HMP?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:48 AM
On Guard For Thee

Hammer Native--King/Queen is slated to be a Holiday Inn Express last I knew.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 5:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

Newest downtown hotel gets early retirement date

A report to city council says Hamilton’s newest downtown hotel will be converted to a retirement home.

But it also says the two-year-old Staybridge Suites on Market Street won’t close until a replacement is built on the former Hamilton Motor Products used-car lot behind the Bank of Montreal at Bay and Main streets.

Darko Vranich’s Vrancor Group and John Bukovac’s Wilshire Group converted an old postal warehouse at Market and Caroline streets into the 108-room, all-suite hotel in 2006.

Wilshire now plans to sell it to 118 Market Street Limited Partnership, in which Wilshire has an interest, according to the report. Bukovac could not be reached for comment.

Council approval is needed because the project received a $2.1–million downtown residential loan, of which $1.8 million is now outstanding.

Those loans cannot normally be assigned when a property is sold, but city staff propose to allow a transfer for 18 months, the time it’s expected to take Wilshire to build and open a new hotel at 137 Main St. W. The remaining $1.4 million would then have to be paid.

The report to council’s planning and economic development committee says the Staybridge development also received an enterprise zone realty tax incentive, which will continue because Wilshire will still be involved. The matter will be on the committee’s June 3 agenda.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 5:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

So I guess within 18 months Hamilton will have a brand new InterContinental Hotel.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 9:21 AM
Closed account

fine but what about the hilton-hmp? is that shit ever gonna go down?

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 12:01 PM
Closed account

^^ That's the new hotel the article is talking about.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 1:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ No, that article was talking about the InterContinental, not the Hilton one.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 2:01 PM

^^That's what I thought.

If Vranich can't guarantee a shovel will be in the ground by the end of the summer for the Hilton, there should be no leeway on the residential loans and he should be fined for tearing down HMP and turning it into a parking lot.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 2:38 PM
Closed account

^^ If the hotel hasn't started development by end of summer, he should have his property taken away from him for lying a) to obtain a loan, b) to obtain a demo permit.

I don't get Hamilton? Why would someone purposely demo a building if they had no intention on rebuilding in it's place?

Well I'm sure happy we let this beauty of a warehouse (HMP Bldg) get torn down for yet another empty lot... can't wait til the Board of Ed across the street is also leveled, the lots will totally compliment eachother!

Who else thinks the Vranich's are getting ready to jet?

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 2:48 PM

I'm not sure they're gonna jet, I just see a long list of incomplete projects and so-far-empty promises.

Hilton Hotel?
Old Federal Building condos?
Lofts on Dundurn?
Concert Theatre at King and Hess?
Still not rebuilt DnV in Hess Village?
probably others I'm forgetting...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton