HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 9:26 PM

I did a long run today and snapped some pics of developments while I was at it

Fig & Pico Hotel

Oceanwide (rip)

9th and Fig

755 Fig (Brookfield)

The Grand

Metro Regional Connector Grand/Arts Station

Little Tokyo Ato Apartments

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:02 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great update, nmkef! And that was one helluva run!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:04 AM

Looks great! Nice to see some of these towers get out of the ground.

Little Tokyo def needs to build higher. There's already 15 story buildings there. who gives a crap.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:05 AM

What's the latest on 320 (?) Mateo in the Arts District?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:25 AM

We're in this incredibly unique moment of time right now in which downtown's skyline is being significantly reshaped, and a slew of large projects are under construction/opening, and yet downtown is rather empty. Building that will be landmarks in a few years are just sitting alone, no one on the streets. No one buzzing within or without. In 5 years or so, things are going to be very different. But right now feels suspended in time. What a fascinating moment!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
We're in this incredibly unique moment of time right now in which downtown's skyline is being significantly reshaped, and a slew of large projects are under construction/opening, and yet downtown is rather empty. Building that will be landmarks in a few years are just sitting alone, no one on the streets. No one buzzing within or without. In 5 years or so, things are going to be very different. But right now feels suspended in time. What a fascinating moment!

Every city is more empty than usual. I was just in Chicago for 10 days, it's nothing like it used to be. Covid/wfh has probably changed downtown's for a long time.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:31 PM

Multiple downtown firms have said as recent as this past week that they will require staff to return to office starting September, so it will be interesting to see what we see over the next couple of months. I already notice an even more significant uptick in pedestrian activity over the past month or two and the apartment buildings I can clearly see have started to fill up more after stalling out a bit. There was a big wave of move-ins around the beginning of the year too.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:50 PM

Great tour and update!

Apartment vacancies are basically to normal already. It's much busier now than even 3 months ago and significantly better than 9 months ago. As mentioned above, we're gonna see a lot of people coming back over the next 2 months

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Great tour and update!

Apartment vacancies are basically to normal already. It's much busier now than even 3 months ago and significantly better than 9 months ago. As mentioned above, we're gonna see a lot of people coming back over the next 2 months
An anecdote, but I'm one of those people as I'm moving to Downtown in 2 weeks

Looked at a bunch of apartments (both new and old) and all were 95%+ leased with almost no concessions / deals to move in any longer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 6:51 PM

Sweet update, nmkef! I hope it is cool that I posted some of your pics in the relevant construction threads in Projects and Construction.

Last edited by craigs; Aug 16, 2021 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post

Looked at a bunch of apartments (both new and old) and all were 95%+ leased with almost no concessions / deals to move in any longer.
Welcome to DTLA!!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:18 AM

Quote:

Nice! And that sounds like good news for the market.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:36 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 8:11 AM

Are those the new Gehry buildings?!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Seeing the Broad museum from other, less common angles makes it appear like a really boring box, sadly.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Thank you everyone! Have long long been a huge fan of DTLA (first growing up in Orange County and only thinking of it as a place from the movies and then exploring it when I went to college here, and then seeing it grow and chance the years after I graduated).

Coming back after 2 years in New York City and I cannot wait to be finally be part of Downtown's evolution first hand.

QQ - Does anyone know if there are any YIMBY/urban planning/development groups that focus on DTLA besides this wonderful forum and the DTLA Development facebook? I want to get involved

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone! Have long long been a huge fan of DTLA (first growing up in Orange County and only thinking of it as a place from the movies and then exploring it when I went to college here, and then seeing it grow and chance the years after I graduated).

Coming back after 2 years in New York City and I cannot wait to be finally be part of Downtown's evolution first hand.

QQ - Does anyone know if there are any YIMBY/urban planning/development groups that focus on DTLA besides this wonderful forum and the DTLA Development facebook? I want to get involved
LA YIMBY doesn't only focus on downtown, but it's a good source. Even better is Urbanize LA, which also covers downtown plus the rest of the city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Seeing the Broad museum from other, less common angles makes it appear like a really boring box, sadly.
I've never noticed what the west side of that bldg is exactly like...but nmkef pics are much appreciated....your comment too. It made me look into the connector line...these pics are from 2 months ago, but nmdef's pics show a lot of work is still underway. Never realized the station at 2nd & hope would take so long & have a construction footprint as large as it is.

The broad has an open area to the west of the bldg. They should install a sculpture garden there...not sure why they never did. Or put something into that space. I don't think the connector line, however, forced them to delay working that area....not sure why that is...not in the budget?...maybe the garage underneath is not strong enough to hold heavy objects on the top? If so, at least least install a few tables, benches there....those aren't as heavy as sculpture or potted trees are.

https://la.streetsblog.org/2021/06/0...-grand-avenue/

la.streetsblog.org

la.streetsblog.org

la.streetsblog.org

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I looked at the leasing page of the relatively new park fifth apt tower and the adjoining trademark apt bldg a few wks ago. It showed a fairly high number of units taken & not availble for lease. That may be why new devlpt of housing in dtla is a surer bet than other types of projs....& why devlprs have gone forward with projs like the two new apt bldgs around Fig & 8th sts.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
LA YIMBY doesn't only focus on downtown, but it's a good source. Even better is Urbanize LA, which also covers downtown plus the rest of the city.
Two of my favs. I meant more advocacy groups / non profits that help push for a more urban Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations