HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:02 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Thanks! If I had thought, I would have liked to get some pictures up into Fairview to show Mount Royale, but didn`t think of it at the time!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Honored Member

Nice shot, teddifax.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:51 PM

Any shots of this one recently?

BTW, I think this thread should technically be in "suburbs" since it's on the far side of Joseph Howe. Isn't that street essentially the border between the Halifax Peninsula and the mainland?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 7:31 PM

Concrete work has started, photo by me from today:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 6:48 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Concrete work has started, photo by me from today:

Does anyone know why this project has made zero progress?

Think of the neighbours......

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Does anyone know why this project has made zero progress?

Think of the neighbours......
The photo is dated Sept 29. A great deal of concrete work has been done since that date. A recent photo would show a considerable difference.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 5:51 PM

Here are some by me from today:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 8:42 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for posting the picture kph06. I guess now that the excavation is complete and they have started pouring concrete this should start rising quickly.

It is interesting to see how close this tower is to some detached homes.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for posting the picture kph06. I guess now that the excavation is complete and they have started pouring concrete this should start rising quickly.

It is interesting to see how close this tower is to some detached homes.
Didn't the councellor in this district put up a huge fuss about this project for those exact reasons. I thought I remember reading that on here a few years ago. This corridor is perfect for these types of developments, if the rail corridor was used for a future LRT line this neighbourhood could experience a good boom in TOD like a small scale MetroTown in Burnaby.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
Didn't the councellor in this district put up a huge fuss about this project for those exact reasons. I thought I remember reading that on here a few years ago. This corridor is perfect for these types of developments, if the rail corridor was used for a future LRT line this neighbourhood could experience a good boom in TOD like a small scale MetroTown in Burnaby.
The problem is that people's acceptance of large developments like this near their single family homes is contingent on them seeing what the potential benefits will be. Many of the homeowners in the area probably know little to nothing about LRT, TOD, or Burnaby, and I would guess even fewer think that Halifax has any plans to take this sort of development approach. People also generally choose to live in houses rather than apartments or condos because they like the sense of privacy and stability that having their own house gives them, so many of them find it rattling to have a busy construction site in their backyard that will eventually be home to hundreds of new residents. This is one of the fundamental causes of NIMBYism that developers and urban planners seem to have a hard time addressing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The problem is that people's acceptance of large developments like this near their single family homes is contingent on them seeing what the potential benefits will be. Many of the homeowners in the area probably know little to nothing about LRT, TOD, or Burnaby, and I would guess even fewer think that Halifax has any plans to take this sort of development approach. People also generally choose to live in houses rather than apartments or condos because they like the sense of privacy and stability that having their own house gives them, so many of them find it rattling to have a busy construction site in their backyard that will eventually be home to hundreds of new residents. This is one of the fundamental causes of NIMBYism that developers and urban planners seem to have a hard time addressing.
Which is why I'm surprised this went through. Point scored for the Developers and Planners with this one

It's all hypotheticals but if LRT went through this area in the future I think the market would overcome the NIMBYs.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
Which is why I'm surprised this went through. Point scored for the Developers and Planners with this one

It's all hypotheticals but if LRT went through this area in the future I think the market would overcome the NIMBYs.
I think that the goal of "overcoming the NIMBYs" is ultimately damaging to good urban design, because it creates a sense of us vs. them where each side refuses to admit that the other might be right about some things. This is what happened with St. Pat's-Alexandra. It also tends to breed further NIMBYism, compounding the problem by taking ambitious, well-thought-out developments and reducing them to smaller projects that don't really work. Then the NIMBYs have all these failed attempts to point at. What the development community and the municipal government should be doing is not trying to beat the NIMBYs but win them over, and make them stop being NIMBYs in the first place. You can't please everyone, but I'd guess that a very large percentage of present day NIMBYs in HRM are just cynical about how new projects will turn out, not necessarily against development in principle. If people in the Armdale hear "high rise residential" and think of the towers on Cowie Hill or in Fairview or around Mumford, then I can see why many wouldn't want a "tower" going up in their neighbourhood. If there was no engagement session to let people know that it wouldn't be like that, then who can really blame them for their ignorance? I agree that LRT would probably change the way people in the area think, but it helps to actually provide those quality of life upgrades at the same time as the changes in use and density. So far HRM has been all talk and no action when it comes to most transit improvements, so people just see their neighbourhood getting more crowded and if transit service doesn't increase, then yes traffic really does get worse.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I think that the goal of "overcoming the NIMBYs" is ultimately damaging to good urban design, because it creates a sense of us vs. them where each side refuses to admit that the other might be right about some things. This is what happened with St. Pat's-Alexandra. It also tends to breed further NIMBYism, compounding the problem by taking ambitious, well-thought-out developments and reducing them to smaller projects that don't really work. Then the NIMBYs have all these failed attempts to point at. What the development community and the municipal government should be doing is not trying to beat the NIMBYs but win them over, and make them stop being NIMBYs in the first place. You can't please everyone, but I'd guess that a very large percentage of present day NIMBYs in HRM are just cynical about how new projects will turn out, not necessarily against development in principle. If people in the Armdale hear "high rise residential" and think of the towers on Cowie Hill or in Fairview or around Mumford, then I can see why many wouldn't want a "tower" going up in their neighbourhood. If there was no engagement session to let people know that it wouldn't be like that, then who can really blame them for their ignorance? I agree that LRT would probably change the way people in the area think, but it helps to actually provide those quality of life upgrades at the same time as the changes in use and density. So far HRM has been all talk and no action when it comes to most transit improvements, so people just see their neighbourhood getting more crowded and if transit service doesn't increase, then yes traffic really does get worse.
I see what you are saying... but the whole concept of NIMBY is not to accept things. Public consultation = no development or reduced height in too many cases... or years of drawn out battles.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:32 AM

Condo project on fast track
November 30, 2012 - 5:09pm BY CHRIS LAMBIE BUSINESS EDITOR

Quote:
Expect to see a $20-million, 16-storey condominium project come out of the ground quickly on Joseph Howe Drive in Halifax, says developer Besim Halef.

Concrete was being poured Friday on the second level of the building’s three-storey parking garage. Construction will go ahead through the winter on the 77-unit tower behind the former Halifax County municipal building at the corner of Craigmore Drive, said the president of Banc Properties Ltd.

“Once the building comes out of the ground — the actual main floor of the property — you will see one floor a week coming up,” Halef said.

The tower should reach its peak height of 46.5 metres by April or May and be completed entirely within about 14 or 15 months, he said.

(clambie@herald.ca)
Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

Can someone provide a photo update?

Also can the moderators change the title name: [Halifax] Craigmore Drive Condos | 46m | 16 fl | U/C

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 11:01 AM
we built this city

YES HALIFAX. You can do it!

Looking forward to seeing this one rise!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 8:29 PM

Still a lot of work to go here:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 8:52 PM

Slow but steady progress, looks like the extra tower crane section has been removed:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:34 PM

Here's a photo from today, they are making progress, but it is a little slow:

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:34 PM

According to the article posted a few posts above apparently this should be at its peak height by april or may, Yeah I deffinitey see that happening.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 1:28 PM

Any updates on this? Something should be sticking out o' the ground by now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs