HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I hope Canada does not go down that American rabbit hole.

In the US, it matters less what your degree is in than where you got it. If you have a Harvard or Yale degree, well, then your way in life is guaranteed!! Of course, this makes the whole admissions process way too competitive and open to nepotism and corruption. If you are the child of a generous donor, or a valued alumnus, this gives you a lot of extra brownie points in the admissions process. Less scrupulous parents will fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars to "admissions coaches" who of course know whose palms to grease. The whole process stinks (although to be fair, these universities also have generous scholarship programs for truly gifted but financially compromised students).

I have always appreciated how Canadian universities have flattened the "prestige curve", and that decent educations can be had in numerous universities across the country regardless of location. I think this is eminently more fair. I went to undergrad and medical school in the Maritimes and do not feel that my education was particularly compromised by never leaving the colonies. It would be sad if only the top six or seven universities in the country were felt to be worthy...........
A professional designation will always have cachet. They are pickier about entrance requirements - you actually need to expend effort to get in and complete those programs. People always need skilled people. It's going to be the mundane things that will suffer most. "BA's and mediocre BSc's for all!" from second-tier universities only works if the entrance standards are higher than "Anybody with a pulse".

You can firesale credibility for awhile. Think of it as printing money. As long as everyone believes in it, you can get away with it. Once people catch on that the degree one issues isn't worth the paper it's written on, the game is up. Second-tier universities are in a jam. They got caught up in the exuberance of "Degree = smart people" and "Everybody should get a degree!". To keep the music going, they let standards slide.

Oops, people figured out that a degree wasn't a instant winning lottery ticket to a middle-class job. The world stopped giving a shit about credentials if they had no value - employers want somebody with a skill set. Or somebody without an inflated sense of their worth.

I get the distinct sense that young people are figuring this out before they plunk down big cash and time - the younger employees I deal with seem more realistic in that sense. They didn't do the undergrad thing in general, because the payoff wasn't there especially from the second-tier universities.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Many of the colleges in Northern Ontario (some which offer a handful of 4-year degree programs) are very badly in the hole due to enrollment and/or revenue issues. There will be others that file for protection. Many more, if this fucking covid thing keeps going on and on and on....

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I hope Canada does not go down that American rabbit hole.

In the US, it matters less what your degree is in than where you got it. If you have a Harvard or Yale degree, well, then your way in life is guaranteed!! Of course, this makes the whole admissions process way too competitive and open to nepotism and corruption. If you are the child of a generous donor, or a valued alumnus, this gives you a lot of extra brownie points in the admissions process. Less scrupulous parents will fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars to "admissions coaches" who of course know whose palms to grease. The whole process stinks (although to be fair, these universities also have generous scholarship programs for truly gifted but financially compromised students).

I have always appreciated how Canadian universities have flattened the "prestige curve", and that decent educations can be had in numerous universities across the country regardless of location. I think this is eminently more fair. I went to undergrad and medical school in the Maritimes and do not feel that my education was particularly compromised by never leaving the colonies. It would be sad if only the top six or seven universities in the country were felt to be worthy...........
agreed. The difference between the top tier research (and top ranked universities) and primarily undergraduate (or lowest ranked universities) categories of universities in Canada is not nearly the gaping chasm it has become in the Excited States. We are still much more on a meritocracy path to university education, whereas in the States it has long been about what you can afford to pay and who you know, unless you are willing to attend the many universities of last chance that exist (many of which that will still charge an arm and a leg for tuition).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
The UofL has grown so much since I finished at the end of 1997 that I barely recognize it.
I was thinking the same thing, there must've been a bit of a construction boom on campus since I was last in Lethbridge. I don't remember seeing the building on the right.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 11:40 PM
I'm the bear on the right

That's the new Science Building. Opened last year.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:43 AM
BANNED

A nice addition to campus, looking forward to see for myself.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:03 AM
ARTchitecture

University of Lethbridge has a very impressive master plan they recently completed and started to implement. The Science and Academic Building is the first phase of that implementation. One of the next phases will be a residence bridging over the south coulee, cutting the walking time for students living in the rez village nearly in half.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:43 PM

[/QUOTE]

That new building is garish and clashes terribly with Arthur Erickson's iconic buildings.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:56 PM
ARTchitecture

It's true, but having diversity of structures isn't a bad thing, especially since everything on the campus was built after 1970. The only icon on campus is University Hall, and virtually anything modern is going to clash with it.

The Science and Academic Building is actually very nice on its own, but yes it absolutely clashes with University Hall.

https://archello.com/story/71371/att.../photos-videos

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:15 AM

My alma mater! Looking forward to getting a vaccine and then visiting the campus!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:54 AM
ARTchitecture

A major expansion of the Downtown Regina campus of the University of Regina has been completed...

Phase I - College Avenue Building

Phase II - Conexus Credit Union Building

https://p3arch.com/projects/office

Site context...

https://www.cjme.com/2018/08/22/cone...-wascana-park/

Site Plan...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...pens-1.4852222

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:36 PM

Looks great! The expansion of the College Avenue Building is very well done. I'm usually of the opinion that only glassy additions work on heritage structures, but this one gives a new perspective.

Are the old brick walls and windows visible from inside the expansion?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 9:49 PM
Hmm....

It's a bit too far South to be call the "Downtown Campus"; it's always just referred to as the College Avenue Campus.

I agree that the renovation/restoration was decently done (I'm generally not a fan of the random window openings of the modern addition, but I recognize that that's totally a personal preference thing).

The main issue with the project is that there was a very poor public consultation process at the beginning. Conexus has an office building downtown (actually 2 buildings - 1 tower, one 2-storey), so there wasn't really a need for a new building, especially a new building that would eat up space in Wascana Park and pull office space away from downtown.

They bypassed it to some degree by donating $10M to the restoration project and because the provincial government tilted control of the park entirely in their favour (though in this case, the previous set-up would have likely approved it as well since you needed at least 2 of the city, university, and provincial government to approve something). Just a small sleaze factor that tarnishes it a bit.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:57 PM

University of Manitoba main campus

- U of M

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:05 PM

We walked around when we visited Winnipeg in summer 2018. Beautiful campus.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 6:53 PM
Ocean Breeze

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:07 PM

Carleton University in Ottawa. Founded in 1942, the current campus was established for the 1959-1960 academic year.

https://twitter.com/Carleton_U/statu...92183183806465

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 4:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/l...tion-1.5291050

Laurentian University files for creditor protection

"SUDBURY -- Facing massive long-term debts and lower revenue as a result of COVID-19, Laurentian University has filed for court protection from creditors.

It's the first time in recent memory that a university has done the equivalent of filing for bankruptcy because their debts far exceed their assets and revenue.

In a news release Monday, Laurentian University President Robert Haché said despite being insolvent, the court filing would not affect day-to-day operations and students won’t be affected.

"These strains include a combination of factors such as historical recurring deficits, declining demographics in northern Ontario, the closure of our Barrie campus in 2019 and the domestic tuition reduction and freeze that was implemented in 2019 and, most recently, various costs and revenue impacts due to the global pandemic," Haché said.

Sources speaking on background to CTV News say the university approached the province before Christmas seeking help on what was believed to be $100 million in debt. But since then, a closer look at the books revealed that amount is closer to $200 million, prompting the decision to seek creditor protection."
An update on this:
60+ courses cut, including the only French Midwifery course outside of France.
150+ staff cut, including staff vital to courses that were saved.

It had an emergency debate in the House of Commons a few days ago brought by an NDP MP not even from the ridings around Sudbury, with the Federal Government basically saying it is provincial matter.

My take away - Watch what happens here as it could easily happen to any university in this country.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 10:13 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be fixed quickly, at least by introducing legislation to make sure this shit doesn't happen again. Public institutions should not be using the CCAA.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be fixed quickly, at least by introducing legislation to make sure this shit doesn't happen again. Public institutions should not be using the CCAA.
That is what mot people are hoping for. The problem will become whether the degrees will be worth anything in the real world. The reputation of this univericity is tarnished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada