HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
I kept thinking I will see some Santa Cruz, did I miss something?

Anyway I work close to Ventura, over in Camarillo, so and every now and then we drive over to have lunch downtown. It's a nice coastal town, and ok for a Saturday trip. It's a very short drive (45 minutes) from LA-San Fernando Valley if you don't feel like going all the way into San Barbara for the day.

I don't hate it, and even though it's part of Southern California and there really is no gap between LA and Ventura County it has a different vibe about it. Many of the people I work with live in the area, so I do get a feel of it everyday.

I've never had a problem around there, but the comments I hear and their views on things, I just know it may not be a place I would feel comfortable for me, the wife and son to live. Still it's very nice, and I love the natural beauty and the older neighborhoods. I would recommend it for a day trip it certainly worth a visit, but Santa Barbara is the place to stay for a few days or a weekend trip IMO.
I get what you're saying, as I've gotten that vibe myself. I have a female African-American friend who back in the 90s, was married to a white guy, and when they visited Ventura, they felt like they were getting stares. Nobody was hostile towards them, at least not openly, but the fact that they were getting stares in 1990s southern California and didn't get stares anywhere else in soCal, made her not really care for Ventura. I've gotten kind of the same vibe in Glendora; I used to date someone who lived in Glendora back when I was in my 20s, and after we broke up, I saw no reason to ever go visit Glendora again (not even for those donuts that Huell Howser did a segment on, hehe). Ventura is kind of like a Glendora by the sea.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos