World Product Center
Extell's 2 developments by the park
Girasole
Tower across the street from Girasole
80 South Street
WTC
A bunch in Hudson Yards
And the NY Times tower was built only a few years ago at over 1000 feet

Plus there are many more approved or U/C 800+ foot towers.
Here's the rundown of all projects over 800 ft:

Topped out - The building has reached its final height yet is still adding on structural elements
Under Construction - The building is rising, beginning with driving of the piles in the ground
Site Prep - The site is being prepared for construction, anywhere between site clearance and until the point where building elements (e.g. piles) are installed
Proposed - The building's development before anything physical happens on the site, including anything between a rough proposal, approval, etc
On Hold - The building has been under construction at one point yet all work is suspended; parenthesis indicate at which point work has stopped

Freedom Tower - 1 WTC | 1,776' Pinnacle / 1,368' Roof | 108 FLOORS | U/C - Downtown

200 Greenwich - 2 WTC | 1,358' Pinnacle / 1,278' Roof | 78 FLOORS | SITE PREP - Downtown

175 Greenwich - 3 WTC | 1,240' Pinnacle / 1,147' Roof | 71 FLOORS | SITE PREP - Downtown

Tower Verre | 1,155 FT / 352 M | 75 FLOORS | PROPOSED - Midtown

15 Penn Plaza | 1,216 FT - 66 FLOORS | PROPOSED - Midtown South

Manhattan West | 1,216 FT - 66 FLOORS | 935 FT - 60 FLOORS | PROPOSED - Far West Side

World Product Centre | 1,011 FT / 308 M | 60 FLOORS | PROPOSED, LIKELY CANCELLED - Far West Side

The Girasole | 1,000 FT / 305 M | 67 FLOORS | PROPOSED - Far West Side

150 Greenwich - 4 WTC - 975 ft - Downtown

One Madison Avenue - 937 ft - Midtown South

30 Park Place - 912 ft - Downtown

Beekman Place - 867 ft - Downtown

56 Leonard - 821 ft (foundations complete) - Downtown

(taken from here)

Aside from two WTC buildings and Beekman, nothing on that list is certain, and most things are no less than 5-10 years away from completion. Even Beekman is not much of a sign of speedy consstruction, as it was delayed for like what, over five years?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^^Minor quibble, but you left out 157 W.57th.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^^Minor quibble, but you left out 157 W.57th.
Good call, I need to add that to the NYC compilation rundown.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Because Vornado, the company behind this, has more money than God, getting a zoning variance shouldn't be an issue.
More on that...there are a number of steps required in the zoning to get this approved, but none of them are what I would call anything major. Keep in mind that this is the same planning commision that wanted to implement unlimited FARs accross the street.

I won't pretend to know everything about New York zoning, because the zoning map looks like one huge puzzle, with zoning boundaries often overlapping development sites. But that's a necessary evil in a developed city, where developers have to work with and around zoning, as opposed to building on a blank slate in the desert somewhere.

That's the case here, where Vornado wants the midblock area rezoned to reflect the zoning at both ends of the block, generating 270,000 sf for the project...

Current zoning...

What's proposed...

Then there is the zoning which pertains to how the building meets the street - streetwalls, pedestrian circulation, sidewalk width, etc. I think there is something to be worked on there, particularly with the mult-tenant tower. I think the tower needs to be better integrated with the base. Or they could shift the tower tower portion to 7th Ave, similar to what was done with the NY Times of Bank of America towers. But the Empire State is centered over its base, so it could work. Just my opinion. The CPC will have to determine how well that all plays out.

And then there is the matter of the transit improvements. Most people probably already know that Vornado and Related have teamed up for the Moynihan Station redevelopment accross the street, for which they will be getting extra development rights. Vornado won't get as much here, but still it's nearly a half million square feet (470,000) for the project...

The improvements...

I don't see any roadblocks here, only the people who don't want to see the Hotel Pennsylvania demolished. That's an entirely different issue, and one the LPC has delt with. This is a process that has to be completed before either version of the tower can be built, so even without a current tenant it makes sense to get the necessary approvals now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:27 AM
them bones

Pelli's more recent supertall tower designs have become less and less interesting to me (and I've seen every one of his major built towers in person except 1 Canada Square). They're just so blah.

This thing is big and brutal and I probably would like it much more if it was 300' shorter. (I can't believe I just said that).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
This thing is big and brutal and I probably would like it much more if it was 300' shorter. (I can't believe I just said that).
Big and brutal are the way these large office towers are going to go now, especially on the west side (as opposed to something like the Tower Verre). But I think even the Goldman Sachs and BofA towers are big and brutal. At 1,216 ft, the taller version of this tower would be the same height as the 1,216 ft Manhattan West tower, but that one is "larger", approaching 4 msf...

_

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:29 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Good call, I need to add that to the NYC compilation rundown.
155 West 57th Street is now under-construction for CTBUH: http://buildingdb.ctbuh.org/?do=buil...uilding_id=570

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 10:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Here we go again...
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...Doggies_Sleep_

If the Hotel Penn Goes, Where Will the Doggies Sleep?

February 11, 2010
by MsRebecca

Quote:
Here we go again: the owners of the Hotel Pennsylvania have the wrecking ball poised and ready to fly. Yes, we’ve heard this song before, but the folks at Curbed wonder if this time they might actually mean it, since the proposed office tower that would replace the hotel has entered the public review process.

With the Westminster dog show right around the corner, our most pressing reaction to this news is: Where will all the doggies sleep if the Hotel Penn is pulled down? The hotel is the unofficial headquarters—and preferred toilet—for the show dogs and their people during Westminster—and a wonderful place to pooch-and-people watch for bored New Yorkers.

Will other dog-friendly hotels in the city step up to claim this honor if the Hotel Penn finally chokes it? If so, the biggest contenders would be The New Yorker and the Affinia Manhattan, which also host a bunch of Westminster-related doggy events. (There’s a Yorkie-fest at The New Yorker tomorrow, FYI.)

http://stewdio.org/work/gimbels/

Quote:
Ear Studio was commissioned by Vornado Realty Trust to design a public art element for the Gimbels Passageway renovation; the underground pedestrian tunnel connecting Penn Station to Herald Square closed in the 1970s.

This simulator, built with Processing and OpenGL, allows Ear Studio to experiment with the choreography of approximately 900 rotating discs and the invisible gearing system that couples them. The simulator exports this choreographic data for use by the team's 3D fly-through mockup designers and will also inform the data driving the final piece
__

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 12, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 10:43 AM
New Yorker for life

A model of the Penn East tower taken from this article...
http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...related-things

http://www.observer.com/2008/city-pu...ynihan-station
Quote:
attendees to the meetings with the Planning Department said they were told a building of 1,100 or 1,200 feet
could rise on the east end of the Vornado Realty Trust-owned block just north of Penn Station, between 33rd and 34th streets.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Now we just have to wait until they value engineer this to cost as little as possible and have all the fun taken out of it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Now we just have to wait until they value engineer this to cost as little as possible and have all the fun taken out of it.
I think it's a nice idea, but really all we need is a reopened walkway. People trying to get from Herald Square to make connections in Penn Station will be in too much of a hurry to wonder at the walls. Typical subway-style advertising would be fine, but they just need to get the thing reopened. That alone is worth the transit improvement bonus.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 10:30 AM
YIMBY co-founder

This Gimbels Passageway, is it under the street or through the basement of the buildings? If the latter, how 'bout making it an integral part of the retail base of the tower?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 2:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
This Gimbels Passageway, is it under the street or through the basement of the buildings? If the latter, how 'bout making it an integral part of the retail base of the tower?
The passageway is underneath the sidewalk. Plans are to make it wider. It will be an alternative to going outside and walking a block to transfer between busy train
stations. The same concept is behind the new Dey Street connector being built Downtown between the Fulton Street Transit Center and the PATH terminal there.
Here you will have the 33rd St PATH terminal and multiple subway lines connected to Penn Station (LIRR, NJ Transit, Amtrak) and multiple subway lines there.
As a matter of fact, this whole redevelopment is similar to the WTC redevelopment. It's just the midtown version.

http://gothamist.com/2009/02/04/unde...?gallery0Pic=6

http://www.railfanwindow.com/blog/20...15-penn-plaza/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 3:25 PM
World Machine

In the next two decades or so this area will see a complete boom of new developments which in the end will leave the area unrecognizable in my respects. This project (pending it goes through as planned) will be the beginning of a long line of buildings to rise.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 2:44 PM
New Yorker for life

BTW, Vornado has long been working with the city on development plans for the area. This tower was on the verge of being a bit larger than the current proposal, but in either case they are working within what is being envisioned for the area around Penn Station.

But let's not forget the pieces of the puzzle that fell out...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 3:22 PM
Editor

WOW, what is that tall building with the spire??? How tall is it??? It looks much more taller than the ESB.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 3:41 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
WOW, what is that tall building with the spire??? How tall is it??? It looks much more taller than the ESB.
A formerly proposed (and canceled) set of towers that would have been taller than the ESB around MSG.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 4:11 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
A formerly proposed (and canceled) set of towers that would have been taller than the ESB around MSG.
Thanks for explaining. But I wondered about that tower.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
You mean on top of madison square garden, (but 2 Penn plaza survives apparently). For that proposal were they going to move madison square garden over to the Farley post office?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
But let's not forget the pieces of the puzzle that fell out...

I've always liked those twins. They might be squished inbetween buildings in that area, but I hope something similar gets built eventually. The closeup shot elsewhere on SSP and WNY make the rippling facade look great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals