HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

150 North Riverside in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:49 PM
dream fast

10/15

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:57 PM

They're installing a second skip on the southwest corner. A blue one.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:06 PM

CFD responding to a collapse call at this address now

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:25 PM

There's been a collapse on site. Looks like something fell off the crane. Tons of fire trucks on scene

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:27 PM

WGN is saying initial reports are saying 10 floors collapsed. No injuries. Lets hope not.

http://wgntv.com/2015/10/22/no-injur...ding-collapse/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattshoe View Post
WGN is saying initial reports are saying 10 floors collapsed. No injuries. Lets hope not.

uhhhhhh, HOLY CRAP! (if true)

prayers for all of the workers on site.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:29 PM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:

No. Looks like something fell off a crane. Floors did not collapse.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i just watched WGN's aerial helicopter footage, it sure doesn't look like any floors collapsed.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:34 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:

Not collapsed. My company is financing the building and we face the site right across the river. The person next to me actually got a call from the contractor as well as the crane operator right after it happened. No one got hurt which is amazing.

The form for the concrete pour on the 19th floor blew out as they were pouring, so it dumped the wet concrete and the form structure down from the currently under pour 19th floor down to the 13th floor which is the highest floor at the moment with flooring in place - so it caught everything coming down.

They're going to clean up the mess, deconstruct the 19th floor and get that prepped, then start again on the 19th floor.

It will take about a week for the insurance company and inspectors to look at the site, then another week to get it back and ready to continue its climb. Hopefully not that long though.

There are helicoptors, dozens of fire trucks, ambulances and what looks like 50 fire fighters on site. Yikes!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:36 PM

Thank god, I was imagining all that beautiful steel in a heap.

Thanks for the updates, news is slow to report

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:42 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Thank god, I was imagining all that beautiful steel in a heap.

Thanks for the updates, news is slow to report
WGN is saying 10 floors of the building collapsed, the Tribune is reporting that a cement wall caved in near the Chicago River and the SunTimes is saying that at 10' by 10' section of concrete collapsed on the 9th floor of a 24 floor building.

WTF.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:44 PM
BANNED

^^ Your update is much appreciated Mr Mayor. The laymen trying to cover this on the radio are giving me a headache. Glad to hear the situation is under control. And wow, what a response by the CFD!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 9:58 PM

yeah, thanks for that report, mayor. my heart sank when i got the sun-times news alert. as you posted, "wtf" to how all local news outlets got this one so wrong.

funny how they all went with the more sensationalist stories. . .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
WGN is saying 10 floors of the building collapsed, the Tribune is reporting that a cement wall caved in near the Chicago River and the SunTimes is saying that at 10' by 10' section of concrete collapsed on the 9th floor of a 24 floor building.

WTF.
I was flipping between ABC and WGN on tv too, they showed nothing. I'm guessing they don't have a ton of faith in their online reporters...

Very happy the issue today seems to be minor, all things considered. I bike by this building every day and I can't get over how amazing everything about it is.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post
yeah, thanks for that report, mayor. my heart sank when i got the sun-times news alert. as you posted, "wtf" to how all local news outlets got this one so wrong.

funny how they all went with the more sensationalist stories. . .
Wtf is wrong with the sun times? Their office overlooks this site. They can see that floors did not collapse

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 11:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Not collapsed. My company is financing the building and we face the site right across the river. The person next to me actually got a call from the contractor as well as the crane operator right after it happened. No one got hurt which is amazing.

The form for the concrete pour on the 19th floor blew out as they were pouring, so it dumped the wet concrete and the form structure down from the currently under pour 19th floor down to the 13th floor which is the highest floor at the moment with flooring in place - so it caught everything coming down.

They're going to clean up the mess, deconstruct the 19th floor and get that prepped, then start again on the 19th floor.

It will take about a week for the insurance company and inspectors to look at the site, then another week to get it back and ready to continue its climb. Hopefully not that long though.

There are helicoptors, dozens of fire trucks, ambulances and what looks like 50 fire fighters on site. Yikes!!
This post is almost as inaccurate as the Sun Times, but it at least tries to convey the (correct) message that there was no structural collapse.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:55 AM

Talking

Incident was in the core where you couldn't see from Ariel view. Thank god no one is hurt. The ironworkers and firefighters worked together helping make things safe.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:30 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...022-story.html

Quote:
No injuries reported when section of under-construction riverfront building's concrete collapses

Chicago Tribune staffContact Reporter

A section of concrete wall collapsed and fell inside a high-rise under construction along the Chicago River in the West Loop on Thursday afternoon, but fire officials said all workers were accounted for and there were no reports of injuries.

Crews were called to the building at 150 N. Riverside Plaza just before 4 p.m. when a section of concrete about 10 feet by 10 feet collapsed, according to the Chicago Fire Department. Fire crews searched the debris from the collapse to ensure no one was trapped or injured, and finished their work about 5:45 p.m.

Crews were pouring concrete on the 24th floor when the 10-by-10 section of wet concrete wall fell, collapsing through to the ninth floor, said Central District Capt. Laurel Bresnahan.

An official from Clark Construction, which is working on the 150 North Riverside building, gave a three-sentence statement to reporters but refused to answer any questions.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:31 AM
Urbane observer

Our brave new world of instant reporting—plus most folks' unwillingness to pay for news—mean that there's a lot of pressure to get on the air with what news you have instead of waiting for more info. If you look at http://www.chicagofiremap.net/ you can see what was coming across the CFD radios. Now have a producer whisper those reports in the ear of some Mass Comm major fresh out of a state college who doesn't know steel from concrete framing and see what gets said on the air. It'll always be preceded with words like "reports are coming in that . . . " and "we're hearing. . . ".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive