HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:02 PM

Pedestrian Fatality @ King WIlliam & James

Fatal collision closes King William-James intersection

August 05, 2010
Hamilton Spectator

A section of downtown has been closed after a fatal collision.

Police have not said whether the victim is a man or a woman. The crash happened around 3:15 p.m.

The area around the intersection of King William and James streets is taped off. Part of James Street around the City Centre has been closed off and is expected to be closed for some time.

A transport truck, without a load, is sitting in the southbound lane of James.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit has been called in to investigate.

Police say there were many witnesses in the area, but they are appealing for anyone else who saw the collision to contact them.

And from CHCH:

A man is dead after being hit by a truck in downtown Hamilton.

It happened at King William and James just before 3:30 Thursday afternoon. James Street is closed from King to York Boulevard, and King William is closed for several blocks.

Police have also shut exits from Jackson Square along James and buses are being re-routed.

We'll have a live update on this story tonight on CHCH News @ 6.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 10:54 PM

Not sure if this merits its own thread...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 12:04 AM
Needs more coffee...

From a city planning/urban planning perspective, the fact this happened from a truck going along what is absolutely not a truck route is frustrating.

Also from an urban perspective, it's practically at the epicentre of the city. Why is a truck going at a fatal speed in the exact core of our city? Something is very wrong when that's even a possibility, fatality or none.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Not sure if this merits its own thread...
Normally a single fatality wouldn't, but pedestrian fatalities are too common in Hamilton which raises some important issues.

Really, why are there trucks on James St or any other street downtown? Hamilton/Burlington has a ring road (403/QEW/Linc/RHVP) with a spur (Burlington St) into the industrial area. There should be no truck traffic downtown other than local deliveries.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:10 AM

Too many truckers lack any real experience now a days. A lot of them can't read a map or take directions properly.
I work closely with the trucking industry and I have learned over the years to keep my distance from them on the roads. Don't get me wrong there are many truly professional truckers out there and they'd be the first to tell you I'm right about the too many non-professionals in their business today.
It's not uncommon to have truckers on "No Truck" routes because they are lost and it's becoming more and more prevalent in all cities.
This is a very unfortunate incident. Sorry to hear about it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:29 AM

It is always a tragedy when a pedestrian is struck and killed.

I don't remember it mentioned here, but back in February a pedestrian was struck and killed by an HSR bus one block south of here at King and James. The driver has been charged with careless driving in that case.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:02 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actonite View Post
Too many truckers lack any real experience now a days. A lot of them can't read a map or take directions properly.
I work closely with the trucking industry and I have learned over the years to keep my distance from them on the roads. Don't get me wrong there are many truly professional truckers out there and they'd be the first to tell you I'm right about the too many non-professionals in their business today.
It's not uncommon to have truckers on "No Truck" routes because they are lost and it's becoming more and more prevalent in all cities.
This is a very unfortunate incident. Sorry to hear about it.
Half a dozen (good)truckers in my family and they'd all say the exact same thing about being a responsible trucker vs. an irresponsible one... it's unbelievable what stories they could tell of some of the guys that work at the same companies getting away with (gonna fake that you inspected your truck before leaving and check everything off anyway? happens every day. gonna drive drunk or half-asleep or on a variety of substances? ? sure.. why not.. they've done it that way twenty years ya know.. man.) that kind of stuff frustrates good truckers.

They'll also tell you that having truck routes and non-truck routes makes a lot of sense - they don't want to be held up by traffic, but they don't want to be going near a school or homes. they want to get in, get out and do their job, not be looking for shortcuts all the time.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:22 AM

Truck route or not it was a lugger truck. That is a truck that carries those large garbage bins. He would be exempt from any by-law as he would be there to do his job. An they have not said who fault it was.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 10:59 AM

Sad sad situation

Any loss is tragic.
I see this subject is doing the blame game. The driver must be devasated and it is a hard thing to live with, just for doing his job.
A pedestrian fell/stepped off the sidewalk and was struck by a truck. He was driving on the road, he didn't run up on the sidewalk, or swerve at the pedestrian.
If a vehicle strikes a human, you know the outcome and caution must be used by anyone walking near traffic. Don't they have Elmer in school anymore.
The investigation is not complete but I know as I drive downtown I see people with ipods, cellphones or talking just step into the road without testing the waters. Just 2 nights ago a individual stopped suddenly in the middle of of a street to take a sip of his full cup of Timmies. I just looked at this guy and he wasn't even aware my front bumper was about 5 feet of his right hip.
Roads are for vehicles and sidewalks are for people so be very aware when you venture into foreign territory.
There are bad drivers and bad walkers but we know who will win that arguement. Steel vs flesh, a sad fact of life, drive and walk defensively.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 12:53 PM

I wouldn't want to put any blame on the driver, the point is to plan streets and sidewalks so this type of thing is less likely to happen. There are a lot of traffic fatalities in the lower city and there are specific tried and tested actions that can be taken to reduce them.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 1:28 PM

There was a similar thread about a James/Main pedestrian fatality, but I couldn't find it. Wasn't trying to politicize it. Delete this thread if if doesn't fit, or perhaps bundle it into a "pedestian/cyclist accident" megathread?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 11:51 PM
Needs more coffee...

My bad for blaming the driver and assuming speed was a factor - I was very wrong there. I can't imagine...

Spec article is here: http://thespec.com/News/Local/article/821175

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:48 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

This is just an observation. When pedestrians are waiting to cross at a crosswalk, for the red hand to turn into a white man, why do they have to basically balance their self on the curb edge?

I mean, you can stand one or two meters back and wait for the whiteman. It won't get you across faster because you're balancing on the curb inches away from 1000 kilo bullets.

Would anyone do that on a mountain cliff? Well it's kinda the same thing.

Personally I always stay back from the road when waiting for the signal and I taught my children that as well. I guess that's natural selection in process.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 10:59 PM

I noticed that big time when I moved to Hamilton.

Another observation is when people are standing on the curb like you mention... but when the whiteman comes they don't walk across!

Last edited by Blurr; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 12:22 AM
Needs more coffee...

I stand near the curb so I can cross faster when the light turns - isn't that a good enough reason lol? (if you're not leaning into traffic, i guess).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure