HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

("Great minds think alike", they say? )

“Fools seldom differ”, they say as well ...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:00 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Plus, I've been to Maple Creek. Have you?
No, but I hear it's a tropical paradise.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:21 AM
Mooderator

Dawson City.

Why not?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:51 AM

I thought this could be an interesting conversation because it really makes you think about what you want in your city/town/region and what type of environment and lifestyle you would most like to enjoy but I was mistaken. I made 2 mistakes:1} I didn't state that it should be in Canada which is my fault, and 2} I proceeded from a false assumption............that most of you could read. This time I will be more basic and use small words so you can all follow along.

Santa checked his list and found out "you have not been nice" so he is going to force you to leave your home. Santa is a kindly old soul so he will give you 2 choices in a big, cold country named Canada and even pay for the ride so he can still put a present for you under the Christmas Tree. One ticket will be good for between 100 and 1000 km and the other for over a 1000 km. Now you can't just say a province because Santa has to know where in the province to park his sleigh. You also can't say 2 or 3 different cities because even if Santa spiced up the magical flying reindeer feed with crystal meth, they still can't be 2 places at once.

So when you are writing the North Pole this year, tell Santa EXACTLY which 2 cities he can find you lest he tell his good friend the Easter Bunny and instead of getting chocolates at Easter, he will shit all over your lawn.

Last edited by ssiguy; Aug 31, 2020 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 6:46 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

100-1000km:
Montreal. The vast expanses of urbanity. Need I say more?

>1000km:
For something completely different - Exeter, ON. Great place to raise a family. Decently walkable town core. Close to Grand Bend/Bayfield for beach days in the summer months. Not far from London for more urban amenities.

As you might have guessed, I'm quite well acquainted with both places. I've found the lure of the unfamiliar to have faded a bit as I've aged, at least when it comes to choosing where I'd like to live.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Maple Creek. or Okotoks.
Is that tongue-in-cheek or for reals? I’ve been to maple creek. It’s definitely on the quiet side! A small, close knit prairie community. But it is on the edge of Cypress Hill Inter-provincial park, and that park is breathtaking!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
You didn't answer the question. I asked if you HAD to move where would you go over 100 km AND over 1000 km?

This is just for fun but does make you think about what you like and dislike about the place you are in and the same for a place you HAD to move to. For me I stated London but for under 1000 km it would definatly be Nanaimo. Technically it may not be 100 km as the crow flies but due to being at least 2 hours away due to the ferry, I think it qualifies,.

Also saying "somewhere in such and such a province" doesn't cut it. You are given 2 one-way tickets........one for 100 to 1000 km and another for over 1000 km so where would you choice to go?
I just moved two weeks ago and it was more than 100km, thus where I am right now.

Even if I would move all around the the world, I would never have the means to live a good life there.

Better be a king in a small town than a slave in a big city. I chose the first one.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 9:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I thought this could be an interesting conversation because it really makes you think about what you want in your city/town/region and what type of environment and lifestyle you would most like to enjoy but I was mistaken. I made 2 mistakes:1} I didn't state that it should be in Canada which is my fault, and 2} I proceeded from a false assumption............that most of you could read. This time I will be more basic and use small words so you can all follow along.

Santa checked his list and found out "you have not been nice" so he is going to force you to leave your home. Santa is a kindly old soul so he will give you 2 choices in a big, cold country named Canada and even pay for the ride so he can still put a present for you under the Christmas Tree. One ticket will be good for between 100 and 1000 km and the other for over a 1000 km. Now you can't just say a province because Santa has to know where in the province to park his sleigh. You also can't say 2 or 3 different cities because even if Santa spiced up the magical flying reindeer feed with crystal meth, they still can't be 2 places at once.

So when you are writing the North Pole this year, tell Santa EXACTLY which 2 cities he can find you lest he tell his good friend the Easter Bunny and instead of getting chocolates at Easter, he will shit all over your lawn.
I love this post so much.

But, still, the premise is a little odd. The idea that "what you want in your city/town/region and what type of environment and lifestyle you would most like to enjoy" could be found in more than one region of Canada is probably a stretch. A lot of compromise necessary. Even within a single province, if you love absolutely everything about Edmonton, Calgary isn't going to be a reasonable replacement.

I, for example, don't particularly want to move deeper into Canada again. I've already experienced that. And the United States even less so these days. I wouldn't even visit there anymore.

But, gun to head...

100-1,000 km - The only city within that range for me is Halifax (860 km straight line; 1,488 km driving), so it'd have to be there. I'm certainly not moving anywhere smaller.

1,000 km+ - Montreal (1,568 km straight; 2,536 km driving) or Toronto (2,071 km straight; 3,078 km driving). I know it's still two so if the Easter Bunny insists, I'll probably choose Toronto for linguistic ease.

I choose these because they're large enough to compensate for anything I'd miss about home. Mount Royal could be a fun daily hike. I could take more interesting sunrise skyline pics every day. I love subways and streetcars enough to get joy from that in TO, even if I miss the ocean or whatever else. I know they're sweaty and utilitarian, not touristy, but I prefer that anyway. I will be the grinning idiot on the streetcar every time, even after 30, 40 years.

There are a couple of things I could never, ever compromise on, though - I need my front door to open onto sidewalk, and I need my house to be completely attached on both sides. It's certainly unreasonable and a direct result of where I'm from, but that's the minimum necessary for me to feel I live in an urban area. If it's set back, if it's detached... I feel like I'm in the suburbs, and I hate that feeling, no matter how close downtown is. I assume it's not normal, but I genuinely feel more satisfied and like I'm in a bigger city in an average, dense European town of a few tens of thousands than in, say, Laval, or Mississauga. If it's not a house, it can be an stand-alone apartment building, whatever else, but absolutely no setback - no towers in the park.

And I'll need colour. I've seen lots of lovely homes in TO and MTL where, even if the brick isn't painted, the wooden window trim and doors are bright colours. I'd need at least that. Not just on my own home, but the whole neighbourhood.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 31, 2020 at 9:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:31 PM

For me, maybe Hamilton or Victoria, both are a decent size, pretty natural settings and with fairly good climates.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Hamilton or Victoria

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

But which one is beauty, and which one is the beast???

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
King Street downtown Kitchener today was mostly filled with meth heads, alcoholics and bums. While from diverse backgrounds, they all reminded me of how grim small market Canadian cities can be ... Nanaimo and Orillia look more charming.
You clearly don't know Orillia very well if you think it compares favourable with Kitchener when it comes to "meth heads, alcoholics and bums". When the Huronia Centre was closed, a lot of the residents just ended up homeless in Orillia and the city is still living with the fallout of that a decade later.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

You could compare Brantford and Kitchener using a hipster metric like this: Downtown Brantford has no bike shops or ramen places. Actually, Brantford has no ramen at all. That alone is a quantitative measure suggesting that the two cities are very different.
Brantford I had to go there in the past as some of my wife's family lived there. It seemed like the type of place where people just ended up there. Downtown was a forgotten place that people generally avoided and had given up on.

I think the lack of ramen shops was the least of the problems with Downtown.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:50 PM
recession proof

87km from my Toronto home is Harrisburg Ontario: I'd buy 10-100 acres and design/build my own home in the hilly woods. Great location close to NY state, Toronto, KW, Hamilton.

Further away: Victoria BC.

I've spent about a week in Orillia: during the summer it's much more vibrant than downtown Kitchener. Yes it's got some homeless people but really considering KW's economic/population growth downtown K is a tragedy.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:00 PM

Victoria for 100km-1000km, or Toronto for >1000km.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:27 PM

If staying in Ontario - Oakville, Burlington or Kingston.

Out of province - Halifax, Victoria or Kelowna

Out of country - Portugal or Spain

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:29 PM
I am the law!

The choice wouldn't be to move far. Somewhere east of Toronto/Clarington and west of Kingston.

Endless choices internationally. (in order)

close ... New York, Philadelphia, Chicago
across the pond ... Paris, Munich, Cologne
exotic ... Singapore, Barbados, Hawaii

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:52 PM

>100 km: Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg or Port Hope. Ideally I would stay in Southern Ontario, but if I had to move to another province, I would pick the Eastern Townships, Halifax or Victoria.

Out of country: Lyon

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:02 PM

100km+: Halifax
1000km+: Algarve region, Portugal

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:03 PM
recession proof

I'm into stargazing so having dark sky is increasingly important. I rather like the Grey Highlands especially around Flesherton - Meaford. I almost bought a farm up there this year: real estate will get even cheaper when they build the nuclear waste dump but I won't be around to worry about its side effects. I also like the area around Wilberforce - Minden - great driving roads.

Exeter struck me as an especially nice small town with a beautiful commercial strip, churches and housing stock. I've always admired Ontario's Victorian buff brick architecture.

I like contrasts: rural agricultural areas and big dense cities. In America, that means a rental flat in NYC - Upper West Side because there's dozens of fantastic celiac-friendly restaurants in the area; and a farm within 30 miles of Interstate 81 - southern Pennsylvania or Virginia.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Aug 31, 2020 at 5:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada