HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
To me, it also indicates a lack of faith in the long term viability of the town, and a lack of caring about its future. Cheap buildings that are meant to be utilitarian (cheapest sidings, cheapest/smallest windows you can get away with, etc.) are something that's typical of Northern Quebec mining boomtowns, for example.

Conversely, when there are people who decide it's worth it to build more durable and more elegant buildings in the town, it says something.

Also, the area around Maple Creek isn't exactly lumber industry central. It's drier and with even less trees than the area of Oklahoma I posted about.
60 km to the south of Maple Creek. Quite a bit of wood there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even today (when the permanency of its cities is virtually assured) I find that national and international companies and chains invest little in aesthetics when they build stuff there. Almost all of their stuff there looks noticeably shittier than what these same outfits build in southern areas of Canada.
Based on previous posts, I'm pretty sure Andy6 will take issue with you finding the Maple Creek way...

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.9092...7i13312!8i6656

... to be "shittier" than the American one:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-ph...nfrontdoor.jpg

It's all in the eye of the beholder, don't you know?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Based on previous posts, I'm pretty sure Andy6 will take issue with you finding the Maple Creek way...

I've never seen a nice looking Sears store anywhere in western Canada.

But Lio, there is a nice park across the street from sears that would contribute to the vibe you're looking for.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Areas without natural forests used more brick, etc.. Canadian cities, even the prairie ones, were closer to our northern forest resources, so we built more out of wood. Otherwise, lack of masonry construction indicates a historical shortage of skilled trades. Just a theory.
Southern Ontario was almost entirely covered in forest before it was settled and it's one of the brick-iest places anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's what a Prairie town is. It looks intriguing to me. You and your chichi notions ... "the feel of the street" ... good lord.
Aesthetics are a "chichi notion"? Good lord indeed. No wonder so much of Canada is so ugly.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 4:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

... to be "shittier" than the American one:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-ph...nfrontdoor.jpg

Gatineau and the Outaouais used to be in the "not deserving of nice things" category for international, Canadian and even Quebec corporations, but for some reason in recent years we've generally graduated to the "worthy" category".

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
60 km to the south of Maple Creek. Quite a bit of wood there.

That must be the Cypress Hills area that SaskScraper was talking about earlier.

Can you believe I did not get to do any hiking at all during the 4.5 months I spent in BC for the first phase of this project? Hard to justify taking the time to stop for Cypress Hills on the way (even though normally, it's the kind of place that would have attracted me, I love the outdoors and hiking).

BTW, I found the "Parkland Belt" area of SW MB quite attractive/bucolic. That's "home" to you, right? Can't comment on architecture though, didn't really see any villages

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's what a Prairie town is.
In-Your-Face Ugliness is an inherent part of what a Prairie town is? Okay then.

Quote:
You and your chichi notions ... "the feel of the street" ... good lord.
If even some people on an urban affairs/architecture forum think like this (I'm assuming you aren't joking...) no wonder Canada is generally so ugly.

Laval's Résidences Soleil? No problem! Does the job perfectly - the seniors are comfy in there, and the owner's making money. Let's build more of that all over the place, zero reasons not to (that aren't "chichi notions").

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I've never seen a nice looking Sears store anywhere in western Canada.

But Lio, there is a nice park across the street from sears that would contribute to the vibe you're looking for.
I know that, I checked it out in person, and observed there's Manitoba Maple growing in that park (upon seeing that, I immediately thought, huh, this shortgrass-prairie-biome little town isn't as poorly named as one would have thought! )

This town could easily look much better if the locals weren't all like Andy6.

For example, as explained in the other thread, I am all but certain that that unbelievably ugly Sears building is in fact two older buildings that generally would/could look like the one immediately west (i.e. right side) of them (the one that's currently for sale).

If I made it my life's work, I could likely make that little town a lot better looking it doesn't take much. It's done all the time around here - façades that have been "modernized" in the 1970s or 1980s get returned to what's below (usually brick, sometimes even granite, in one Sherbrooke case).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:03 PM

One last comment. A few years ago I visited Tombstone, Arizona and loved it. I also could notice that Maple Creek does try to play the "cowboy culture" card. It could be a nice cowboy-themed tourist destination if it polished its downtown a bit.

There's no buildings covered in cheap 1970s corrugated metal siding in Tombstone. But the bones are the exact same as Maple Creek's - it's all boomtown architecture. (Just not with Andy6 in charge. )

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I see a couple of stockers in that foto.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:11 PM
The New Republic

In all fairness, Maple Creek isn't playing the 'cowboy culture' card; it's the culture of that region. Cowboys/ranching was prevalent throughout the West.... and still is. Maple Creek could look just like Tombstone if they removed all the crap vinyl siding, etc.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I see a couple of stockers in that foto.
If you're there at the right time, you'll indeed see (gun)stocks there during the reenactments

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In all fairness, Maple Creek isn't playing the 'cowboy culture' card; it's the culture of that region.
Yeah, that's what I meant. (Trying to use whatever culture they have, and turn that into a touristic distinction.) I didn't mean to imply it was artificial. Just that they're obviously trying to use that angle as their marketing for tourism - like any place would do (use their strengths/what distinguishes them, and "play that card").

Quote:
Maple Creek could look just like Tombstone if they removed all the crap vinyl siding, etc.
Isn't that exactly my point?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
That must be the Cypress Hills area that SaskScraper was talking about earlier.

Can you believe I did not get to do any hiking at all during the 4.5 months I spent in BC for the first phase of this project? Hard to justify taking the time to stop for Cypress Hills on the way (even though normally, it's the kind of place that would have attracted me, I love the outdoors and hiking).

BTW, I found the "Parkland Belt" area of SW MB quite attractive/bucolic. That's "home" to you, right? Can't comment on architecture though, didn't really see any villages
My family is about a 100 km south of the Parkland Region (named for Riding Mountain National Park and Duck Mountain Provincial Park).

We do have Turtle Mountain Provincial Park that is along the US border.

PTH 10 cuts through the middle of the region. Boissivain is straight north with Killarney to the NE. You easily make out the 49th on the photo

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Can stockers pass unseen over the 49th?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sure cattle and sheep have wandered across a time or two.

Back in my young adult years, we'd smuggle Sunday Baseball beers across the line. You could drink PBR all day playing ball and hardly get a buzz!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:36 PM

I'm way too honest to ever even think about it (which is why I don't mind talking about it on a public forum), but if I ever wanted to start some sort of smuggling business in my corner of the country I don't think it'd be that difficult.

Are you guys more welcoming of visitors (a.k.a. stockers) than Saskatchewan? Maybe I can be persuaded to stop next time I'm passing through

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is it too late to point out that people who follow other people in a menacing manner are stalkers, not "stockers".................

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:27 AM

Yes, it's way too late.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Not with that avatar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada