HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Would you go to Hong Kong and complain that it's too dense? What kind of monster are you?
I have heard MANY people complain that Hong Kong is too dense. Several Asian cities are unfomfortably dense from what I've been told, but that is just individual opinions.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 2:02 AM
Never Dell

Finally we can agree on something! (That it's opinion, not that they're too dense.)

In Asia, I've only been to Hong Kong, Macau, and Tokyo, all relatively wealthy regions, and not in their slummier areas. The world is full of places where density doesn't work as well, but it's not density per se.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Finally we can agree on something! (That it's opinion, not that they're too dense.)

In Asia, I've only been to Hong Kong, Macau, and Tokyo, all relatively wealthy regions, and not in their slummier areas. The world is full of places where density doesn't work as well, but it's not density per se.
We probably agree on much more...it's hard to tell for sure sometimes in an online discussion.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Manhattan is not dense enough for you? Jesus Christ.
Manhattan is certainly dense enough, although it could fit several hundred thousand more. And while they both have some ground to make up from the losses of the 70s, Brooklyn and The Bronx are at comfortable densities for their environments as well.

However, Queens still has plenty of room for densification, and Staten Island, well, I'll accept that it's an outlier.

My ideal New York would probably be in the neighborhood of 10 million people in the five boroughs, all of them except Manhattan at or near historic highs. Of course, the infrastructure would be in much better condition.

I mean, I look at New York and am green with envy compared to the sharp population losses the Midwestern cities' cores have seen. I know they'll be some who see me as nuts for wanting such an immense, urban goliath, but it's New York. Its density to me is as much a national treasure as any of the great national parks. Make no little plans.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Jun 30, 2012 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:33 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/ny...hows.html?_r=0

Fewer People Are Abandoning the Bronx, Census Data Show

By SAM ROBERTS
March 14, 2013

Quote:
...Not only did the borough’s population rise, but more people moved there in the year ended July 1, 2012, than left, according to the estimates. While the net gain in migration was only 115, it contrasts starkly with annual losses that were regularly in the thousands and neared 20,000 two decades ago.

Apartment buildings on the Grand Concourse have been refurbished; some South Bronx neighborhoods have boomed, luring a diverse influx of young professionals; and the foreign-born population — mainly Dominicans moving from Upper Manhattan as well as Mexicans — has grown. It is a far cry from the stock but now badly dated images of vast tracts of abandoned buildings or empty lots. “It’s pretty much the last frontier,” said Ed Garcia Conde, a Bronx real estate consultant. “It’s the last affordable place. But I wouldn’t say it’s been gentrified to the point where people are being pushed out. Thousands of new apartments came on line.”

Over all, New York City’s population was estimated by the census last July at 8,336,697, a surge of 161,564 since 2010 — nearly as many as the city gained in the entire preceding decade.

The city’s growth was achieved by another telling milestone: Since 2010, the number of people moving to the city has exceeded the number of New Yorkers leaving. The net increase from migration was 12,200.

“We haven’t seen this since 1950,” Dr. Salvo said. “What we have now is a pattern that is really new.”

Professor Kenneth M. Johnson, senior demographer at the Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire, said the city remained a migration magnet for “20-somethings because they weren’t tied down to houses” while older New Yorkers had been “frozen in place by the recession.”

Brooklyn was the fastest-growing borough, its population rising by 2.4 percent, or 60,900 people, and, with Manhattan and Queens, recorded a net gain from migration since 2010. After years of robust growth, Staten Island recorded what might have been its first population decline — even if only a minuscule 219 residents.

The region drew 123,000 foreign immigrants since 2011, more than metropolitan Los Angeles and Miami combined, said William H. Frey, a Brookings Institution demographer.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 8:19 PM

Manhattan used to be the largest borough years ago.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/ny...hows.html?_r=0

Fewer People Are Abandoning the Bronx, Census Data Show

By SAM ROBERTS
March 14, 2013
wow, extremely jealous. that's amazing, and great for nyc, obviously. (as a chicagoan, it really hurt to type that, heh heh.)

my apologies if already discussed, but why the growth? (and not just growth, astounding growth-- i mean, a northern city with net positive *inward* migration?! the mind boggles)

it can't be as simple as "it's new york", as nyc was hemorrhaging people for a few decades, especially the 80's.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:15 PM

"Over all, New York City’s population was estimated by the census last July at 8,336,697, a surge of 161,564 since 2010 — nearly as many as the city gained in the entire preceding decade."

An increase of 161 thousand in just 2 years is remarkable growth for NYC. Could be some of it was that the 2010 Census did indeed undercount the population and the estimate numbers reflect a correction of sorts.

There are articles today in the local newspapers for each city on the 2012 Census numbers for the city. Philadelphia continued its recent streak of population growth. DC's population grew by 13,000 from 2011 to 2012. Even Baltimore had an increase of 1100, marking a turnaround after decades of population decline. If/when the Census numbers are publicly available, the pop numbers for the eastern and Midwestern cities will be interesting for analysis of the trends.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post

it can't be as simple as "it's new york", as nyc was hemorrhaging people for a few decades, especially the 80's.
If you go by the decennial census, New York "hemorrhaged" population for only one decade, the 1970s. Every decade since the city has posted population increases.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post
If/when the Census numbers are publicly available, the pop numbers for the eastern and Midwestern cities will be interesting for analysis of the trends.
City proper estimates are scheduled to come out mid-May.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1288402

The Bronx is up — and the Battery’s up! In fact, city population is booming to its highest number ever

Brooklyn sees the biggest gain. All five boroughs now home to 8.33M people.

Swelling population has put increasing pressure on the transportation system, especially in booming Brooklyn, where the Bedford Ave. stop on the L train is packed morning, noon and night.

By Tina Moore
March 14, 2013

Quote:
The city’s population has been swelling by about 74,000 new residents each year, according to the Department of City Planning.

The fastest boom has been in Brooklyn, where the population jumped 2.4% or 60,935 people. The hip borough has attracted about 28,000 new residents per year since 2010. The second-fastest growing borough was Manhattan, where the ranks swelled by 2.1% percent or 33,217 people.

Queens came in third with 1.9% or 42,049 people. The Bronx grew by 1.7% with an additional 23,365 people, the figures show. Staten Island showed the smallest gains over the period, with a .4% blip — or just under 2,000 people.

City officials cautioned that at least some of the increase could be attributed to an undercount in 2010. The city believes the Census Bureau missed about 65,000 people in its 2010 tally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

The Bigger Apple: New York City population is highest it's been at 8.3MILLION residents - as more people came than left for the first time in 60 years
- Population up to 8.3million residents in five boroughs
-Some 12,000 more people moved into the city than moved out, marking the first time that's happened in at least 60 years
- Bloomberg credits influx to higher quality of living

By Beth Stebner
14 March 2013

Quote:
Hailing a cab just got a little bit tougher.

More people moved into New York City in 2012 than moved out, marking the first time that’s happened in more than 60 years. The city’s population is at an all-time high, with an estimated 8,336,697 residents living in its five boroughs, according to Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Some 12,200 more people moved into the city than left it, with large immigrant populations adding to the city’s ever-changing dynamic.

All five of the city's boroughs gained residents, Bloomberg said, using the latest estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Speaking at a news conference Thursday, he added the moderate boom ‘reverses a trend that has been a fact of life for decades and that a number of pundits have talked about when they predicted the end of New York City.’

The urban flight started slowly in the years after World War II and reached its zenith in the 1970s, when the city’s poverty, crime, prostitution, and homelessness rates were at an all-time high.

Previous population increases have been as a result of a surplus of births in the city. There were also more births than deaths in New York City in 2012, which could have helped the rising numbers of residents.

The net influx was the first seen in the city since at least 1950, when the Census Bureau changed its methodology and made it possible to calculate the number of people moving into and out of New York, city officials said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...510895154.html

New York's Boom Time

March 14, 2013
By SOPHIA HOLLANDER

Quote:
New Yorkers are fond of proclaiming their city's virtues and scoffing at those who leave for comforts elsewhere, plying the suburbs in search of larger houses, cheaper schools, sprawling lawns and free tennis courts.

Now, for the first time in more than 60 years, they seem to have numbers on their side.

The population spike "reverses a trend that has been a fact of life for decades and that a number of pundits have talked about when they predicted the end of New York City," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at City Hall.

"Parents around the country used to dissuade their kids from moving to New York because it was dangerous. That doesn't happen anymore," he said.

Although New York draws a steady stream of foreign immigrants each year, that influx has been outpaced for decades by the number of people leaving the city for other parts of the U.S. New York's overall population still grew, but mainly because of a high birthrate.

"We generally shed people and then we make up for it with births," said Joseph Salvo, director of the population division at the Department of City Planning.

In recent years, however, New York has lost fewer residents as it attracts and retains more people from the rest of the country. Last year, the shrinking gap finally hit a milestone: the net migration—the overall number of people coming versus going—is in the black.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:38 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
The Bigger Apple: New York City population is highest it's been at 8.3MILLION residents - as more people came than left for the first time in 60 years
This is the real news. While these are estimates, what the Census usually gets correct are trends. I know the recession effected areas differently, but rarely in a positive way, but I have a feeling 2010 to 2020 is going to finally be an unambiguously good time for central cities, even the ones still losing population.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

seems like the greatest city is getting greater still. wow, I remember the gloomy days of mid 1980s times square. kinda miss it, but love the incredible turnaround.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:35 AM

Amazing. New York truly is a model city.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 6:15 PM

In about 2-3 years the Bronx may eclipse it maximum population of 1.471 million. This is an amazing story. There is still vacant lots in the south and central Bronx. It will be interesting to see if the swell in population results in a boom in residential construction like what we are seeing in Brooklyn and Queens. Affortable rental property will certainly accelerate the population growth.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:51 PM

Brooklyn isn't far off of its high of 2.738 million either.

If this growth stays steady, both the Bronx and Brooklyn will catch their historical highs in three years, leaving only Manhattan as the only below-peak borough.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:04 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

I assume when they mean "more people moving in than out" they are talking about domestic migration only and does not include foreign immigration? I can't imagine it being both foreign and domestic migration otherwise are you telling me that the growth in the 1990's was all natural increase (birth over deaths)?

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 8:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
If this growth stays steady, both the Bronx and Brooklyn will catch their historical highs in three years, leaving only Manhattan as the only below-peak borough.
I don't think Manhattan will ever again reach its peak population.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
I assume when they mean "more people moving in than out" they are talking about domestic migration only and does not include foreign immigration? I can't imagine it being both foreign and domestic migration otherwise are you telling me that the growth in the 1990's was all natural increase (birth over deaths)?
That's right....they're talking about "domestic" migration. The foreign immigration has been outpacing the domestic migration (out) for over two decades- hence the reason why NYC is still growing. The slow down in domestic migration plus the birth/death rate increasing the # of births over deaths is making the population increase accelerate even more than it did in the past decade.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think Manhattan will ever again reach its peak population.
Same here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions