HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 1:59 PM

U of M stadium project heads to completion

IN their strongest language yet, the main players involved in the construction of a new stadium for Winnipeg said Wednesday a deal is imminent.
Senior Manitoba MP Vic Toews said he met with stadium proponent David Asper Wednesday morning to iron out additional details, and Mayor Sam Katz confirmed the city has already signed onto the deal, which will see a new football stadium built at the University of Manitoba.

"Every day we're making sure if we hit a nitpicking dispute we settle it," Premier Gary Doer added.

Toews said the stadium fits into Ottawa's plan to launch major infrastructure projects to ward off the deepening economic crisis in Canada.

"I'm optimistic we can come to some agreement very shortly," Toews said, adding the project fits federal criteria on two levels: It benefits amateur sports and a shovel can be in the ground quickly.

"We don't have to make this project fit the program," he said. "The program fits this project."

Toews added discussions have still to take place in Ottawa on securing the $15 million in federal money needed for the project, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

"It can be done in fairly short order," he said.

Doer said it's hoped a tentative agreement can be put in place for the Jan. 16 first ministers' meeting in Ottawa. Ottawa has already told the provinces it wants to fast-track infrastructure projects scheduled to be built over the next two years to spark Canada's economy.

"Everything seems to be moving in the right direction," Doer said.

Asper said he appreciated Toews and his staff for the time they spent doing the due diligence required for the project.

"We are ready to get going and I'm hopeful that a number of outstanding issues can be resolved in the very near future," he said.

The stadium project was announced almost four months ago and is to see Asper and his Creswin Properties Ltd. development company front a large part of the $135-million project at the U of M.

Asper has said he will commit up to $100 million toward the new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The province would contribute $20 million and Ottawa $15 million. It involves a 30,000-seat stadium for the Bombers and the U of M Bisons football team, improving the track-and-field facility at University Stadium and building a new amateur fitness centre to replace the aging Frank Kennedy Centre.

The province estimates it can earn about $19.6 million in taxes on the stadium and related construction alone.

Katz said the city has already agreed to the project: "Our deal with Creswin has been signed. The deal is very simple: There is a sale of the (Polo Park) land at fair market value, and they will pay property taxes and business taxes. End of story. It's a commercial development. And then, they will use revenues from the commercial development to subsidize the new stadium.

"When the private sector comes forward and puts in this kind of investment, this is a win-win for everybody."

Katz said the money from Ottawa will be new, incremental money, not part of what the province will get from the $33-billion Building Canada Fund.

"If they could do this somewhere in the New Year or before that, that would be awesome," Katz added. "I think it's time to put this one to bed and move on."

John Danakas, spokesman for U of M, said discussions continue.

"There doesn't seem to be any serious obstacles in the way," said.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca
-- with a file from Bartley Kives

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:55 PM
Armchair urbanist

Good news.

Were there any drawings of what the stadium would look like at the U of M, or is the Polo Park concept the final design?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 6:07 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Good news.

Were there any drawings of what the stadium would look like at the U of M, or is the Polo Park concept the final design?
The UofM is in for some major changes over the years. SMART PARK expansions, the acquisition of the golf course and eventual development, the indoor soccer facility, and the Rapid Transit link to downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 8:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Federal government ready to commit to new Blue Bombers stadium

Last Updated: Thursday, December 18, 2008 | 12:44 PM CT Comments14Recommend7

CBC News

A new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is to be built at the University of Manitoba. Media mogul and sports fan David Asper appears just inches away from the goal-line in his quest for a new football stadium for the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Treasury Board Minister Vic Toews signalled Thursday the federal government is poised to provide $15 million to the proposed $150-million project.
The proposal to build a 30,000-seat stadium at the University of Manitoba is being quarterbacked by Asper, executive vice-president of CanWest Global Communications.
Toews said the project meets the federal government's game plan for infrastructure funds.
"I am convinced … that the level of planning for the project is sufficiently advanced that we can authorize the money and have the project going in very short order in terms of shovels in the ground," Toews told CBC News.
Toews said he still needs to huddle with his cabinet colleagues but securing the $15 million in federal money should not be a problem.
Manitoba's $20-million provincial government portion has been committed by Premier Gary Doer.
In September, Asper's Creswin Properties Ltd. and the University of Manitoba signed a letter of intent designating a site at Chancellor Matheson Drive and University Crescent for development of three new athletic venues, including a stadium that would be home for the Blue Bombers and the U of M Bisons.
Asper has committed up to $100 million in private-sector funding for the project. The Winnipeg media mogul, who would end up owning the CFL football club in a separate deal, originally asked Ottawa and the province for $80 million in public funds for the project.
The plan would allow the stadium to be expanded to accommodate 45,000 seats.
The City of Winnipeg has agreed to sell the existing stadium near Polo Park to Creswin at market value. The company plans a new commercial development on that site, a development that will subsidize the projects at U of M.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 5:23 AM
Capitalist

This is going to be SWEET!!!

As the economic base of the UofM grows, I would expect the university to authorize the development of retail around the stadium, as a means to create additional revenue. It may take the form of mixed residential and retail, including shops, bars and coffee shops.

It is really great to see both of Winnipeg's major universities are doing so well.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 6:48 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Hey - this is great news.
(one more dancing banana)

Maybe this can kick start a round of stadium upgrades around the CFL, and new stadiums (& teams) in Ottawa, Quebec City, and Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 4:33 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Hey - this is great news.
(one more dancing banana)

Maybe this can kick start a round of stadium upgrades around the CFL, and new stadiums (& teams) in Ottawa, Quebec City, and Halifax.
I agree..

With the winter Olympics coming to Vancouver I believe they are making upgrades to BC Place.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I agree..

With the winter Olympics coming to Vancouver I believe they are making upgrades to BC Place.
The major work to BC Place is a pop-top lid which they won't get around to working on until 2011.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:06 AM
visionary

New Blue Bomber stadium to be built in a isolated area with no grand vision for a downtown destination.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

still rather it stayed a polo

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:06 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
still rather it stayed a polo
true better than having it at the U of M.

Since the U of Winnipeg is in expansiion mode perhaps they would want to add football and that proposed soccer complex to downtown as part of the new Bomber stadium. That could in turn share some costs like adding the turf and some of the maintenance, etc.

yes I know it sounds like the U of M will be getting the Bomber Stadium oh hummm

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
New Blue Bomber stadium to be built in a isolated area with no grand vision for a downtown destination.
I too think it's asinine to be building a new stadium in that location, for those of us living in north Winnipeg, it's two buses to get to that location.

Building the new stadium with less than 35,000 seats is also pretty stupid. ( One can suppose that no lesson was learned from the woefully inadequate MTS centre)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I too think it's asinine to be building a new stadium in that location, for those of us living in north Winnipeg, it's two buses to get to that location.

Building the new stadium with less than 35,000 seats is also pretty stupid. ( One can suppose that no lesson was learned from the woefully inadequate MTS centre)
Unlike the MTS Centre creation ... Winnipeg has no chance of landing an NFL team .. and a ~35,000 seat stadium would serve a CFL well.

... add in the luxury boxes ... and enhanced stadium services this will be a huge step up.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 6:48 AM
BANNED

"Winnipeg has no chance of landing an NFL team "

Your kidding, I thought Winnipeg and LA were the next potential NFL expansion cities. Actually the proposed new stadium at the U of M only calls for 30, 000 seats which is pretty small.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:04 AM
Capitalist

I have not seen or heard the exact specs of the new stadium... but if you say so.

What I do know is .. comparing the size of the MTS centre .. and the size of the new CFL stadium are comletely different issues.

The MTS Centre is a little on the small side for hosting an NHL team ... but the new football stadium will not have any such issues in terms of hosting a CFL team. Saskatchewan's stadium is less than 30,000 people, but the Riders were the most profitable team last year. The fact is this new stadium at the university will generate significantly more revenue the the exsisting decaying crumbing wreck at Polo Park.

I can't wait to take in a game at the new stadium.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 9:12 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I think 30-35K is the perfect size range for a CFL stadium in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 9:46 AM
Youth of a Nation

Man oh man, what a waste. Why build the same size capacity Stadium?! Really now. The plans are for fixed seats and I don't see expansion anywhere in there unless I just missed that part of the layout.

Yes ~35,000 would be a minimum!

If you look at the proposed Ottawa Stadium it is not even 30,000 but has room for expansion at least.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:36 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I think 30-35K is the perfect size range for a CFL stadium in Winnipeg.
Why? Why shouldn't it be the same size as McMaon Stadium? Why does Winnipeg deserve such a small stadium in comparison with other cities?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Why? Why shouldn't it be the same size as McMaon Stadium? Why does Winnipeg deserve such a small stadium in comparison with other cities?
McMahon seats 35 K after the last round of reno's.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:27 PM
Starring as himself

The return on the last few thousand seats is very small, and probably negative. Having a 35,000 seat stadium rather than a 28,000 seat stadium means a lot of extra infrastructure (bathrooms, concessions, etc.) as well as a substantially larger structure. And yet those last 7,000 seats are often going to go unsold and when they are sold won't sell for much. I would think that something in the 28,000-29,000 range would be economically optimal for Winnipeg. That's probably why they took the opportunity to reduce Winnipeg Stadium's capacity from 33,000 to under 30,000 when they did the Pan Am Games renovation. There could be temporary stands for the occasional larger event.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan