HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Domed stadiums are a relic of the late 1990s. .

Actually, they seem to be more of a relic of the late 70's-80's. Domed Stadiums are horrible, and ruin the atmosphere of the game. I was in BC Place a couple of times, and you just can't compare it to a day at CanadInns Stadium.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Yeah whatever, google maps shows that it is right off of St James, whatever side its on is irrelevant.
If you are debating whether the stadium is in Old St James or not, Newflyer is right. The stadium is just within the old City of Winnipeg limits.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:49 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
If you are debating whether the stadium is in Old St James or not, Newflyer is right. The stadium is just within the old City of Winnipeg limits.
Thought so, because the old city of Winnipeg wouldn't have built a city run (current) stadium in the city of St.James...back in the 50's. Since the new stadium is proposed for the same site .. there you go.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 1:27 AM

Winnipeg Sun
Saturday , September 15, 2007

'Hard' reality from feds
Private entertainment projects are no priority

By TOM BRODBECK

Winnipeg businessman David Asper pitched his idea of building a new, privately-owned football stadium -- largely with tax dollars -- to federal Treasury Board President Vic Toews on Wednesday, Sun Media has learned.

But Asper -- who wants taxpayers to contribute $80 million to a proposed $120-million stadium for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers -- got a cool response from Toews.

Toews told Asper during the meeting in Winnipeg that he would review Asper's request for federal dollars "as a courtesy," but at this point he's not even considering funding the proposed building.

Thank goodness.

"We've made absolutely no commitment to supporting it," Toews told Sun Media. "It would be a stretch to say we're even considering funding it."

OWNERSHIP FOR FREE

Asper is seeking $40 million each from the federal and provincial governments, which would cover two-thirds of the cost of a facility Asper would own outright.

As part of the deal, Asper wants ownership of the Bombers for free and the right to develop commercial property around the existing Canad Inns Stadium, which we as taxpayers own.

Did you want me to polish your shoes too, Mr. Asper?

Premier Gary Doer has expressed an interest in funding Asper's dream stadium and the province is reviewing details of the funding arrangement.

No big surprise there. Doer's never seen a corporate welfare deal he didn't like.

Unfortunately for Asper, the federal government hasn't been quite as loose with the purse strings for this stadium proposal.

Toews said his government is willing to take a look at the proposal but insists the federal review should not be construed as showing interest in the project.

"All we're doing, as a courtesy to a very prominent Manitoba businessperson, is taking a look at a proposal he's presenting," said Toews. "We see all kinds of proposals, but that does not in any way assume any type of tacit or other support for the proposal."

Toews says using tax dollars to build privately-owned stadiums for professional sports teams does not fit into the federal government's plan to upgrade Canada's "hard infrastructure," like fixing crumbling bridges and roads and upgrading sewer and water systems.

No kidding. And can you blame the feds?

"We have people who don't have basic infrastructure in their communities, and so we have to be very careful with the money that we as a federal government have," said Toews.

For example, there are now 50 boil-water orders in Manitoba, said Toews. And much of Manitoba's infrastructure, including bridges and roads, are aging and need to be refurbished or replaced, he said.

"As a federal government, where we're sharing the burdens of these financial demands, we have to make sure we have our priorities right and that they're in keeping with what Manitobans want," said Toews.

Asked if a privately-owned football stadium falls within those priorities, he said it's "not what I would call hard infrastructure, and my priority has been to emphasize hard infrastructure."

Amen.

That's not to say the federal government isn't interested in making financial contributions to publicly-owned sporting facilities like those attached to universities and colleges, said Toews.

But funding privately-owned ones for professional sports teams is a different story.

NOT RULED OUT

"As far as I know, our government has not committed to any funding of privately-owned sports facilities primarily utilized by professional sports teams," said Toews.

Nor should they.

Toews has not ruled out making a contribution to Asper's stadium.

He says federal officials will review the plan and he'll come to a firm conclusion at a later date.

But at this point, it looks like Asper may have to go back to the drawing board -- and maybe dig a little deeper into his OWN pocket.

---

THE STADIUM SAGA

Jan. 14, 2007

CanWest Global executive David Asper presents his visions of a $120-million stadium to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers board of directors. Asper wants the federal and provincial governments to each contribute $40 million to a proposed stadium on the site of Canad Inns Stadium. Part of the deal includes Asper taking over community ownership of the team and investing $25 million into retail/commercial development on city-owned land around the stadium.

April 9, 2007 -- Canad Inns CEO Leo Ledohowski proposes to build a $265-million domed football stadium at the former Canada Packers site in St. Boniface. Ledohowski wants $80 million from taxpayers and a $29-million tax break from the city.

April 24, 2007 -- Premier Gary Doer makes an election campaign promise to use tax dollars to help build a new football stadium.

May 1, 2007 -- Blue Bombers board chooses David Asper's stadium plan and agrees to negotiate exclusively with him.

June 21, 2007 -- Bombers board agrees to a letter of intent with Asper to move forward on the stadium project.

August 2007 -- Doer government says it's doing due diligence on Asper's request for $40 million in provincial funding for the proposed stadium.

Sept. 12, 2007 -- Asper meets with federal Treasury Board President Vic Toews to pitch stadium idea, including $40 million of federal funding. Toews cool to idea, says Ottawa not considering funding stadium right now.

As much as I agree with Mr. Toew's stance on not providing government funding to a private sports franchise, I am still saddened to hear this news. I would still be happy with a downsized proposal, such as another major retrofit of the current stadium.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 1:59 AM

So let me get this straight. Asper wants the team for free. A stadium where he will shell out 1/3 of the cost and the old stadium lands for redevelopment.

In exchange Winnipeg gets a new privately owned stadium and loses control of the team.

Thats the deal?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 4:53 AM
BANNED

^ Who does Asper think he is, Sam Katz?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 7:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol haha asper why not just pay for it in full you idiot

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 11:17 PM
Capitalist

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 19, 2007 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 11:40 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
So let me get this straight. Asper wants the team for free. A stadium where he will shell out 1/3 of the cost and the old stadium lands for redevelopment.

In exchange Winnipeg gets a new privately owned stadium and loses control of the team.

Thats the deal?
Its not as one sided at it appears ... as the MTS Centre also recieved a significant contribution from the three levels of government .. but the government funds were recovered through taxes before the new arena ever opened... which is why Doer is all over this deal.

Yes it is a bit extravigant, but at the end of the day it will give Winnipeg the best football stadium in the country to add to the other top-end sports facilities in this city.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
Capitalist

This is really Winnipeg's old attitude trying to peak through...

... imagine if the nah-sayers killed the ballpark or arena ..

It costs too much..... ... or private investors are involved in the public ammenity.. GASP..

Winnipeg must get over this fear riddened attitude once more...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
high expectations

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Its not as one sided at it appears ... as the MTS Centre also recieved a significant contribution from the three levels of government .. but the government funds were recovered through taxes before the new arena ever opened... which is why Doer is all over this deal.

Yes it is a bit extravigant, but at the end of the day it will give Winnipeg the best football stadium in the country to add to the other top-end sports facilities in this city.

It's not the funding of the stadium that gets me. It's the giving up control of a community owned team for basically nothing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 10:58 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
It's not the funding of the stadium that gets me. It's the giving up control of a community owned team for basically nothing.
In reality .. both the Stamps and Ti-cats were give aways (when they became privately owned).. not to mention the array of free expansion teams in the 90's ... but in this case there is a really nice new stadium as part of the deal.

If the team were sold within a cash only deal.. what would it be worth in its current stadium? Who would the cash goto? .. community owned team, really doesn't have an owner. The government does not own any pro team I am aware of. At least within this deal, Asper has commited to provide strong support to the Manitoba Football Association and the Manitoba Bisons.... so the community will still benefit even while the Bombers are privately owned and operated.

The Aspers have shown time and time again to be big Winnipeg supporters .. and as a long time Bomberfan I would be 100% comfortable with them owning the team. I would also add I don't think the Aspers are looking at this team as a profit generator, as much as being able to add the means through the new stadium and ability for franchise to be among the strongest in the league. Its really more of a community investment.. along the line of the new Human Rights Musuem than a business deal. On the other hand the attached retail development and possible hotel and office building will create a strong stream.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 8:03 PM
visionary

wouldn"t this be cool and efficient to have as a new stadium

click facilities info

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:51 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Thats the deal?
IIRC the new stadium will still be owned by the public...?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:58 PM
visionary

ASPER PROPOSES NEW STADIUM – STABLE ERA FOR
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

http://blueandgold.ca/video.html

Community Partnership Could See Construction Start by Fall 2007
January 14, 2007 – A new stadium for Winnipeg and a financially stable era for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers could be just around the corner if a proposal by business leader and „uber‟ Blue Bomber fan David Asper gets the nod.
Asper presented the full proposal for a private/public partnership today to the Board of Directors of the Winnipeg Football Club.
“This is a great opportunity for Winnipeg to work together to build on past successes, like the MTS Centre, with a new landmark project that will secure the long-term future of the Bombers and a winning reputation for Winnipeg,” said Asper.
The cornerstone of Asper‟s $145 million proposal is construction of a new, partially covered stadium to be constructed on the same site without football interruptions.
Of this amount, Asper would contribute $65 million with $40 million required from both federal and provincial governments. Such a heavy contribution from a community investor would also mean a full change of ownership from the present structure.
“When a community investor steps forward with a significant investment, it is my hope that fans will feel it is only fair that club ownership undergo change, as well,” he said.
Referring to successful examples of privately run CFL clubs like Montreal, BC, Hamilton and Calgary as well as our own Manitoba Moose and Winnipeg Goldeyes, Asper said his plan simply makes the best business sense for the club and the community. “Plus, it is modeled after the MTS Centre where the arena was publicly supported and the team privately owned,” he said.
According to Asper, this fully integrated business model is the best way to maximize all streams of revenue – both on-field and off. “Clearly, this kind of financial security will allow the club to focus on building a winning dynasty rather than sometimes being distracted by short and longer term financial stresses.”
Also key to the plan is construction of a commercial development, a permanent Blue Bomber Hall of Fame and a new Blue Bomber Touchdown Foundation to support amateur football and important community charities.
“This is a solid business proposal that is fully doable right now,” he said, “with the potential for Phase I construction as early as fall, 2007 followed by stadium completion and inaugural kick off by the fall of 2008.”
Key details of the world-class stadium and overall proposal include:
State-of-the Art Stadium
 30,000 – 40,000 fan friendly stadium
 Comfortable seating; spacious legroom
 13 concession stands
 More than sufficient washroom facilities
 24 private suites
 Easy to navigate concourse and access points
 Permanent Blue Bomber Hall of Fame
 Elite fitness training facility
 State-of-the-art Media Centre
 Modern team offices
 Permanent “be a player” fan-interactive exhibition
 Modern Blue Bomber retail operation
Commercial Development
 Two level, 217,000 sq. ft. retail space along Empress
 23,000 sq. ft. restaurant pad
 Seamless fit with surrounding commercial development
 Integrated theme features creating unified sports entertainment and retail complex
Parking and Pedestrian
 Two-level, 2,000 stall parking facility
 Pedestrian circulation system with connections to sidewalks
 Internal transit corridor
 Improved traffic patterning on Empress
 Greater efficiency for events
 Ease of access for all fans
Bomber Pride Experience
 Blue Bomber Walk of Fame
 Interactive fan and Bomber „legends‟ public art installations
 Exterior commemorative displays of Bomber Championships
 „Bomber Fan Fare‟ Transit Corridor and Terminal
 Transit promotion through park & ride programs
Saluting Bombers – Past & Present
 Permanent Blue Bomber Hall of Fame & Exhibition
o Past Presidents invited to serve as first Directors
 Alumni supported heritage retail store
Honouring the Community
 Creation of „Blue Bomber Touchdown Foundation‟
o Permanent new charity to support community projects
o All current Bomber Board members invited to serve as Directors
o First capital donations made with net proceeds from 2006 Grey Cup and from current Bomber Stabilization Fund
Engaging the Community
 Partner with Football Manitoba to promote amateur football at all levels
 Facilitate donation of existing artificial surface to Bisons
 Initiate discussions re: refurbished facility at UM
 Create student internships and employment opportunities
 Promote volunteerism with enhanced WFC training programs
 Establish permanent Grey Cup Committee
o To promote Winnipeg & Bombers at Grey Cups throughout Canada
o Serve as a standing Host Committee for future Grey Cups
Built on the existing St. James stadium site, the new facility will be developed in three phases without interrupting football operations during construction:
 Development Plan (Subject to due diligence) Spring 2007
 Phase 1 Start First Half of Stadium Fall 2007
 Phase 2 Start Second Half of Stadium Spring 2008
 Completion Inaugural Kick-off Fall 2008
 Phase 3 Start Retail Development Fall 2009
The lead architect on the proposed new stadium is Raymond S.C. Wan Architect, which has retained the services of HOK, the world‟s leading stadium design architects who are ready to proceed to full development. Other members of the development team include:
 Team leader, Dan Edwards, President of Creswin Properties, the Asper real estate arm
 Legal Team leader Ron Coke of Taylor McCaffrey, LLP
 Accounting and Administration leader, Wayne Pestrak, CA, & Creswin CFO
 Deloitte & Touche LLP as lead financial advisory group
 Communications and Public Affairs led by Barbara Biggar, President, Biggar Ideas
“A new stadium is not just about building a modern, state-of-the-art facility that we, as a community and sports fans deserve,‟‟ Asper said. “It is about developing significant, ongoing sources of revenue that free both the Bombers and taxpayers from long-term financial worry.”
Asper also stressed that the private/public partnership model – where community investors join forces with different levels of government – will ensure construction of a lasting legacy and a strengthened team that will contribute to the growth and vibrancy of our community.
-30-
To arrange an interview with David

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
visionary

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-4666215c.html

Many new details revealed on the new Bomber stadium.

It's sounding better every day!
--------------------------------
source: http://www.blueandgold.ca/Message.html
(transcript from his presentation at MTSC on Monday)

David Asper:

Good evening and welcome Bomber fans. Welcome to each of you with us here tonight at the MTS Centre and to fans listening live to Wells & Co. on CJOB 68.

When I look back over the recent history of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, I know that we wouldn't be here at an event like this tonight if it weren't for the leadership, foresight, determination and dedication of a small group of Manitobans.

This group has toiled, often silently and behind the scenes, on our behalf as fans, through some pretty lean years – all in an effort to keep our great Bombers alive and well.

- To the Boards past and present,
- To the Presidents and Chairmen past and present
- To Lyle Bauer and his staff

Please join me in showing them the thanks they deserve as the off field champions they are.

Also thanks to Marnie Scott and her team of alumni cheerleaders for their enthusiastic involvement in today's event and for the warm welcome they provided to all.

You know, I've been a Bomber fan as long as I can remember – trained by my Dad and my Uncle Aubrey – to be a fan through good years and bad… and that's just what I've done.

Like so many of you, I've been a season ticket holder forever, an exuberant fan and a loyal supporter who always wanted to play an active role in strengthening the team we all love. That's the one thing we all have in common – a passion for and a commitment to our beloved Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

I like to believe we are the best fans in the entire league. Fans that not only need but deserve a strong voice in plans to secure a long-term, stable future for our Bombers. And I've got to tell you – you're not a shy bunch.

Since our development team and I made our formal presentation to the Bomber Board in January, hundreds of fans have button holed me at Bomber games, during my kids hockey games, at social functions and even after funerals…to share thoughts and ideas.

Our website – blueandgold.ca – has been equally busy with over 1,000 individual emails plus nearly 1,500 fan surveys… put online just ten days ago.
I want you to know that I've listened to every conversation, read every single fan survey and read and answered almost every email that you've taken the time to send. Why? Because we're about to enter an exciting new era in the history of our team – and there are no opinions that matter more to me than the opinions of fans.

Fans who put their money down and show up, year after year, to support our Bombers no matter what the weather or the league standings. You're the true investors in our team…that's why I will always refer to this as a community partnership.

I want to assure you that, if this proposal succeeds, our team may no longer be community-owned but it will be more community-minded than ever.

In fact, your opinions on seating, concessions, washrooms, sightlines, game-day and the overall design have already influenced our plans more than you'll ever know.

But before I share the very latest on where we're headed, let's spend just a minute looking at where we've been because it's important to remember that there have been more than a few times in the past two decades when our Bombers faced death defying moments, off field.

With its back against the wall, I hate to think what might have happened if, under the tremendous leadership of our past presidents and their boards of directors, the community had not rallied round to save the team. Even then, without government and taxpayers filling in the gaps, all might have been lost.

It is important for you to know that, after the last financial restructuring in 2000…just 7 years ago…government was clear: “We'll help you one last time but this cannot happen again."

With that mission in mind, the mandate of future boards – myself, Gene Dunn, Ken Hildahl – and of course Lyle Bauer and his management team – was to protect the club from future lean years (and history shows that it will surely happen again) with a long-term, permanent solution.

While Boards past and present have differed on how to move forward, our end goal was always identical – to do what it takes to ensure not just survival but glory for our Bombers. Without question, a new stadium was always integral to a strong, stable future.

An engineering and a second overall feasibility study were conducted by the City and the Bombers themselves – to assess the condition of the existing stadium and offer advice on renovation vs. new construction.

In my mind, the Bomber study is straight to the point:

Spend $30 million on renovations today that would last, at best, just ten more years OR bite the bullet and get on with the job of building a new stadium right away. Knowing that things only get more expensive as time wears on, my views are well known – let's just get on with it and get it done today!

It is no accident that we are here this evening in the MTS Centre. A decade ago when that debate was underway, many questioned whether all three levels of government should contribute to a new privately run sports arena. Thankfully, as a community, we've all benefited, big time, from their willingness to step up to the plate as major contributors.

The fact is that that government got most of its money back even before the doors of this MTS Centre opened for business.

So where's the financial risk to taxpayers? Quite honestly, there isn't. Just rewards – job creation, ongoing tax revenue and the benefits of a strong and growing community that isn't afraid to demonstrate leadership and embrace the future with a can do attitude.

All this is a way to assure you that, if this proposal succeeds, your football club will have, as its new owner, someone who has the financial capacity, business experience, and willingness to take all the risks for bad weather, dismal seasons, injuries, poor ticket sales and economic downturns. Plus, you'll have a fan leading the charge who shares your unremitting passion to see our Blue Bombers succeed over the long-term.

Okay, let's get on with the tour of our proposed new stadium including our most up to date plans and designs created by our lead architect Raymond Wan of Winnipeg with the support of HOK Sport – one of the world's leading stadium design firms.

Keep in mind that this is still very much a work in progress and that all images you'll see are not exact duplicates of what we'll construct …but rather, representations to help you visualize what we have in mind.

Many months in the making and after tens of thousands of miles of travel to look at the latest stadium designs, these plans represent the tireless efforts of our entire development team.

Let's start with a look at the current Polo Park site that we're all familiar with and, again, keep in mind that the original stadium has undergone three significant renovations since 1953 to increase it to its current size.

Next, here's an overlay of where the new stadium will be constructed… with two main entrances right along St. James Street - maintaining both east and west side and end zone configurations exactly as they are now, except just further west on the property. There will be secondary entrances from the parking on the east side of the facility.

Other main exterior features include:

- A two level, 217,000 sf shopping complex running along Empress Street. Already, we have interest far in excess of the space we're constructing including thematically related large merchandisers.

- A 2,400 sf Bomber store will be located right here at the south end of the stadium, just off the concourse and will be complimented by at least 2 novelty stands right inside the stadium. We are also considering adding Bomber merchandise within the food concessions as well, to make it as easy as possible to see and buy your team colours.

- These features will likely more than double the retail shopping experience for ‘all things Bomber' and provide for dynamic merchandising of the products.

- At the corner of Empress and Maroons, room to construct a thematic restaurant & pub or sports lounge.

- Transit corridor off of Empress and interconnecting walkways and pedestrian plazas throughout the site

- Single level parking located right here between the east side of the stadium and the Empress retail development containing between 800 to 1,000 stalls

- A Hall of Fame throughout the stadium concourse will finally allow us to fully pay homage to Bomber greats, and display interesting memorabilia. I know many of you have your own collections, and we intend to provide secure display space both during the season and in the off-season so that you, too, can show your pride

- Finally, a Times Square environment with state of the art interior and exterior multi-media components. The sound system will be, as my kids might say, sweet. This new landmark will be hard to miss.

The bottom line is that we will construct a truly integrated and unified sports entertainment complex… or as I like to call it – Blue Bomber Nation, within one complete city block.
In terms of construction, we are proposing that the stadium be built in three phases without ever missing a single day of football. Here's how we'll accomplish that.

We hope shovels will go in the ground this spring, 2008 with Phase 1 construction during which we'll build the west half of the stadium in what is currently the parking area right along St. James St.

Once the 2008 football season is complete, the existing stadium will be demolished and the site readied for Phase 2 construction of the second half of the stadium – to be built through the winter and spring of 2009.

Phase 3 is construction of the retail development right along Empress on the east edge of the property. The purpose of this development is simple – to provide a year-round source of revenue for the Bombers. That's why it is such a critical component of this project and key to ensuring long-term financial stability for the team.

Come June of 2009 when we hope to complete all construction, spring training will be held in the Bomber's new home followed by the season opener and official kick-off in the summer of 2009.

That's the short and long of construction. Now, come on, let's go inside.

The biggest news is that we're going to dig a bowl resulting in a field below the main Concourse and sunken into the Manitoba gumbo. This will pack a powerful punch when you walk into the concourse at ground level and see the expanse of the field below and before you. Without question, the Bowl will:

- Create a more intimate fan environment
- Provide added shelter from the wind
- Offer a 360 degree view
- Improve sightlines and put fans closer to the action, even from the upper decks.

That's not all. We're proposing a ground level concourse which will:

- Be protected above and on the exterior from the elements
- Offer an open air view of the field
- Create an added sense of space – with a significant improvement over the darkness under the grandstands!!
- Plus, it'll be wide and roomy and provide improved circulation, room to roam and hopefully eliminate line-ups for two of the biggest fan sore points – concessions and washrooms.

Good news female fans. We'll be building 289 bathroom stalls, 6 family rooms and finally provide you with 50% of the facilities – a move that is long overdue considering that women make up almost half of the Bomber fan base.

In terms of concessions, imagine 134 point of sale food & beverage service stations and roaming vendors. That's the service you have long deserved and the service we're proposing.

Our mission – to provide healthy foods, variety and affordability by constructing an on-site commissary and central kitchen as well as bringing in branded food services such as what has been done right here at MTS Center. That's not to mention the food and beverage service in the 10,000 sf club lounge complete with its own washroom facilities.

In terms of private suites, we're proposing approximately 25 in total including both luxury and party suites as well as a separate Alumni and Hall of Fame Hospitality Room. These suites plus the Media Centre would be offered from the 2nd level upper concourse on the west grand stand. And again, our list is already long for corporate and individual fans ready to purchase.

Did I mention 16 loge boxes? To be located at ground level just off the Concourse, they'll be a welcome addition for special events and particularly for any fans with physical disabilities.

The number one fan complaint and it'll come as no surprise to you – seating and legroom – or lack of it as is currently the case.

By now, I hope you've had a chance to try out the new seats we're proposing located just upstairs in the concourse. If they feel roomier, you're bang on the money. That's because we're adding a full half foot of legroom from the standard 27 inch ‘tread' as it is known in the industry to an expansive 33 inch tread.

In terms of seats, all 35,000 will be 21" wide individual seats including a cup holder; 22 inch for club and private suites. No more benches! I long ago lost count of the number of fans who said not to forget these features.

Now let's focus on fan protection from the elements. The bottom line is that 80% of all fans will be under cover while in their seats. We'll accomplish this with overhead canopies and a protected concourse that completely wraps the exterior. Plus, the bowl effect will cut wind and help further reduce exposure to elements. All in all, I truly believe this is the best, most doable option for Winnipeg.

As part of our fan survey, we asked for your suggestions to help ensure the stadium would be used year-round. The ideas are pouring in fast and furious – everything from an ice hotel to a winter wonderland for families and tourists alike. Clearly, year-round use is something that needs further study but know that we're working on it. Plus keep in mind that the whole point of the retail complex is to provide the team with a year-round source of income so that we'll never again have to go to taxpayers asking for a bail out. It's a bit of a new concept for Winnipeg but the surest way to keep the stadium current and the football franchise healthy.

Speaking of money, this seems a good time to discuss where we're at in terms of funding. As you know, I'm prepared to contribute $40 million to the cost of the stadium and another $25 million for the retail development. That funding is secure and already in place.

For some time now, we have been meeting with all levels of government to assist them in conducting their own in-depth due diligence on behalf of taxpayers. That process continues to proceed and we will keep you updated as we have news to report.

In total, we have asked each level of government – provincial and federal – to contribute $40 million. This is based on a model used to construct the MTS Centre – though the numbers are different – it is a model that draws on a combination of government and private sector funds.

It's important to note that based on our projections, prepared by the accounting firm of Deloitte & Touche, the provincial government will recover about a quarter of its investment by the time construction is done and the federal government nearly a third. The remaining investment will be paid back to the province in about 5 years and just over 6 years to the federal government.

The bottom line is that while our payback will not happen quite as quickly as the MTS Centre, it will happen again and in a timely fashion with this project.

The best news for taxpayers as we look to the future? The financial risk will land squarely on my shoulders… and football is not without risk. If injuries plague our team or a severe economic downturn keeps fans away, I am the one who will shoulder the losses, not taxpayers.

With this in mind, I've taken the view that the entire project requires an integrated approach and therefore ownership of the team. From my perspective, it's the only way to maximize opportunities and ensure a strong, stable future for the Bombers.

I think you'll be very comforted when all the agreements are signed, that Manitobans will be fully protected from the potential worries of private ownership. This has been a key part of my proposal from the outset, is an imperative of the current Blue Bomber Board, and the Premier has said it's a condition to any involvement of the provincial government.
None of us ever wants to see our team leave and I'm prepared to sign a deal to guarantee just that.

Two other important elements that I'll touch on just briefly. Our proposal includes creation of a permanent Blue and Gold Foundation that will support, in perpetuity, important community projects.

As well, we plan to do more than simply motivate young football players. We plan to support them by partnering with Football Canada, Football Manitoba, the UM football program and by providing community funding. As an opening gesture, we will donate the current artificial turf to the U of M.

After further consultation with the other organizations occurs, I can assure you that Manitobans will see tangible benefits from our Foundation, and our plan is to make it grow so we can increase the amounts that can be distributed over the years.

Before we open the mics for a discussion, let me close by thanking each of you for taking the time to come this evening and for your continuing support and loyalty to our Blue Bombers.

Winnipeggers have demonstrated time and again that not only can we rise to a challenge, but when we do it together, we can strengthen our community and our reputation as one great city. Remember the vision it took to get the Forks started? The community strength it took to hold off the Flood of the Century?

The truth is -- we're at our best, as Manitobans, when we do things together. It's time to build a new home for the Blue Bombers, time to secure the team's future with year-round revenue sources and time to create a new sense of pride not only for the Bombers but for fans, alumni and the entire community.

I know that I am going to have to earn your support and I am a prepared to do just that…to ensure our beloved Blue Bombers remain as community-minded as ever. This is a huge investment and a risk in terms of money, emotion and importance of the Bombers to our civic identity. I'm going into this with my eyes wide open and am confident that I can make us all proud.

All I ask is that you keep an open mind and considering supporting this proposal so that we can get it done, together!

David Asper

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
visionary

My opinion

hmm sounds like a great a football stadium my only qualms is it should be built downtown. The city should tell Asper the only way they are gonna give money to build is to build it downtown. And give him a good and comparitive land deal. Much like former mayor Murray told Chipman to build his arena and telling Hydro in order to complete the sale the new office tower will be have to built downtown. Build this stadium is the rezoned and renewed revitilized higgins avenue. I say we should carefully plan this even if it takes 3-10 yrs to get it built in the meantime we can save the money that is for the stadium and invest it in stocks or whatever kind of investment and take it out once we decide on a building date.

Along with that the bombers should have buisiness plan where it would take over the convention centre in this city and build anew and improved convention centre to keep up with new and bigger ones beeing built these days. I believe Edmonton has gotten bigger and I know for sure vancouver has gotten bigger. Wouldn't it make sense to have a convention centre tied in with the bomber stadium for addtional floor space for bigger equipement for example agricultural shows or bigger events that the Mts Centre can't handle. For example the Indinapolis Colts of the National footbal League use there stadium to be tied in with the convention centre. The bombers have to have a buisness model like True North unless True North become partners then it would be even better.

I see only upvalue and potential to be part of many pieces needed to bring downtown to its glory days. Once this stadium and convention centre is built you will see new high rise hotels going up, some residentials going up as well, some retail and restaurants going up also. The whole exchange will cash in from more conventions and game day, Enventually Higgins will be reborn and revitilized because the stadium and convention centre.

While sitting in the stands you will get to see the beautiful city skyline like you do at the goldeyes but in a different angle off course You have the option to boat it the game or convention. The river taxi buisness will pick up and the paddle wheel and red river cruise may as well. All buses route lead to downtown so its easier to not worry about drinking and driving. Again parking won't be an issue as we all know there is plenty of parking dispersed all over the city. As proposed in the stadium there will be 1000 parking stalls.

I would like to see Asper continue with his retail strip mall and have Canad"inns back in the plans for a hotel and water park that was introduced in red river ex stadium proposal.

The one qestion is what would happen with the old convention centre? Good question my solution is turn this building into a hotel/residential and fitness center.

All in all the stadium alone will bring an additional 300 000 more people downtown.

More people,more money more synergy= one great downtown.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 12:06 AM

Size would be too small in my opinion. 35,000 should be more like 45,000. I assume options to expand the stadium would be available?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:40 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Size would be too small in my opinion. 35,000 should be more like 45,000. I assume options to expand the stadium would be available?

45 000 would be way too big....as they have learned in edmonton....empty seats are a bad thing....winnipeg would never average more than 30 000 for the bombers...why have 15 000 empty seats?...

empty seats ruin the atmosphere of the game and you have resort to puting banners over big sections of seats like they do in all the CFL stadia with more than 35 000 seats.

learn from montreal...create demand for a limited number of tickets and provide a full venue with good atmosphere....23 000 in montreal is a lot better than the same number of people in edmonton surrounded by 40 000 empty seats.

i also think downtown is a terrible idea....a stadium is a city killer....used 10 days a year.

i highly doubt that the government (feds in particular) will pony up the money anyways, so really it doesnt matter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan