HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 5:49 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

It does fall under the "nice to have" category when it comes to those things for a big stadium, as opposed to having it under the "needs" category these days in modern arenas like the MTS Centre.

Still, it would be cool if the new stadium did have it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
as i recall the mts centre ribbon board cost $250k...so one at the stadium would probably be double that.....not sure they have the cake for that.

would be nice though.
And I think it would cost even more because obviously the ribbon board will need to be weather proof, when the MTS Centre doesn't need to be.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 3:41 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
I emailed them, and asked if they were planning to install the LED ring lights that's found between the seating tiers, like MTS Centre. I got a response that it is being considered, but they have not come to a decision on it yet.

What do you guys think?
I noticed that the revamped BC Place has these lights around the upper bowl when I was watching the game last night on TSN. There were also shorter ones running down the centre of the field in the lower bowl.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium got one. It seems like the thing to do these days with pro-sport facilities...

$500k isn't a lot of cake for a 180+ million project.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
$500k isn't a lot of cake for a 180+ million project.
Especially when it is a revenue-generator. It would eventually break even and start to profit.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:06 PM
surely you agree with me

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...131439343.html

A stadium related article in the wake of the jets hysteria

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 11:16 PM

Wow, those jumbotrons are gonna be awesome for you guys! Although, I must say, I'm kinda disappointed that the max capacity will be only 40,000 or so. Seems kinda small for hosting a Grey Cup.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Wow, those jumbotrons are gonna be awesome for you guys! Although, I must say, I'm kinda disappointed that the max capacity will be only 40,000 or so. Seems kinda small for hosting a Grey Cup.
Yeah its kinda strange the expanded seating is only for an extra 6500-7k people, 45k might have been more ideal, but I think that 40k would be enough for Winnipeg and demand, in the same sense the MTS Centre is fine at 15 000

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 9:29 AM

This will be the best stadium in the CFL. Our BC Place just finished here in Vancouver and while is is absolutely stunning and would rival many NFL barns, this new Blue Bomber stadium is more intimate thus in my opinion the better stadium.

I'm so so so very happy that they went with another outdoor stadium. Football should be played in the elements! The fans will be covered for the most part anyway.

Can't wait to see the first game on TV!

- Any idea if the new stadium in Hamilton will have a... dare I say it... a TRACK? I sure hope not. Also what is the status with the new stadium for Regina?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:47 PM

I think its amazing that Winnipeg is getting an entire new stadium for HALF the price that the new roof on BC Place cost. Further to that, the new Bomber stadium is going to directly benefit the University of Manitoba in so many ways (practice facilities, new athletic Center, host major sport events).

BC Place may be larger and more flashy on the Vancouver Skyline (my home of 25 years), but I think Winnipeg wins this battle on comprehensive impact.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I think its amazing that Winnipeg is getting an entire new stadium for HALF the price that the new roof on BC Place cost.
Pretty sure the BC Place upgrades were significantly more than just a roof. My understanding is that they now have a stadium that would cost $1 billion to build today brand new. As in, by reusing the structure they were able to save $500 million.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Pretty sure the BC Place upgrades were significantly more than just a roof. My understanding is that they now have a stadium that would cost $1 billion to build today brand new. As in, by reusing the structure they were able to save $500 million.
I still don't understand where the ROI will be on this BC Place upgrade... it is nice but it is no billion dollar stadium like the Dallas stadium... Saying that, Dallas does not have a retractable roof...
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
I still don't understand where the ROI will be on this BC Place upgrade... it is nice but it is no billion dollar stadium like the Dallas stadium... Saying that, Dallas does not have a retractable roof...
Uuh, yes it does...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
. Saying that, Dallas does not have a retractable roof...
The new stadium roof was built to replicate the old with the giant hole in the centre, but with an addition of being able to close it off to the elements. So the roof is very much so retractable.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:38 PM

My understanding is that about 1/2 the $583m cost for BC Place was for the roof structure. The rest was for upgrades to the exterior, washrooms, concourse, scissor ramps, scoreboard & ribbon display, new seating, suite upgrades, new turf and seismic upgrades. Also, the retractable roof requires far less energy than the old roof, which needed fans running 24/7 to keep it inflated.

The big thing with the roof was to allow the facility to continue to be used for non-sports bookings, such as the Auto/Home/Boat shows, concerts, and other large gatherings. If it was just Lions/Whitecaps, it would be a huge expenditure for less than 30 dates/year.

I've heard numbers like 200 dates/year for BC Place.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
My understanding is that about 1/2 the $583m cost for BC Place was for the roof structure. The rest was for upgrades to the exterior, washrooms, concourse, scissor ramps, scoreboard & ribbon display, new seating, suite upgrades, new turf and seismic upgrades. Also, the retractable roof requires far less energy than the old roof, which needed fans running 24/7 to keep it inflated.

The big thing with the roof was to allow the facility to continue to be used for non-sports bookings, such as the Auto/Home/Boat shows, concerts, and other large gatherings. If it was just Lions/Whitecaps, it would be a huge expenditure for less than 30 dates/year.

I've heard numbers like 200 dates/year for BC Place.
I've also read several times that they host 200 events a year - however, that is very misleading. 200 dates a year would mean approximately 16 or 17 dates a month. At first glance at their calendar, that seems to hold up: 14 events for October, 18 for November. On closer inspection though (and this was the same before renos as well), other than Lions and Whitecaps games, there are only 3 events total in that entire 2 months. How does that work? Move in days, move out days, media days, and practices are all considered events at BC Place. No concerts, exhibitions, tradeshows or anything. So, it's not very accurate at all...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
My understanding is that about 1/2 the $583m cost for BC Place was for the roof structure. The rest was for upgrades to the exterior, washrooms, concourse, scissor ramps, scoreboard & ribbon display, new seating, suite upgrades, new turf and seismic upgrades.

My understanding was that the roof portion of the reno's was more like $400 million.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Also, the retractable roof requires far less energy than the old roof, which needed fans running 24/7 to keep it inflated.
That sounds really efficient. Did they have to stand on treadmills while watching the game?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
That sounds really efficient. Did they have to stand on treadmills while watching the game?
The new roof is supposed to save $350k/year in energy, so the roof pretty much pays for itself....in about 1700 years.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
The new stadium roof was built to replicate the old with the giant hole in the centre, but with an addition of being able to close it off to the elements. So the roof is very much so retractable.
I stand corrected... It is still not close to Dallas stadium.. or the ROI..
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I've also read several times that they host 200 events a year - however, that is very misleading. 200 dates a year would mean approximately 16 or 17 dates a month. At first glance at their calendar, that seems to hold up: 14 events for October, 18 for November. On closer inspection though (and this was the same before renos as well), other than Lions and Whitecaps games, there are only 3 events total in that entire 2 months. How does that work? Move in days, move out days, media days, and practices are all considered events at BC Place. No concerts, exhibitions, tradeshows or anything. So, it's not very accurate at all...
Whatever the actual number is, my point was that a retractable roof renovation for BC Place addresses a couple of major issues: first, that fans were getting sick of sitting in a greenhouse on hot summer evenings, and that anything done to the stadium would have to ensure that they could still host the big winter/spring consumer shows. The retractable roof does that. Everyone knew that you couldn't spend $563m for 10 CFL games and 18 MLS games a season (though they seem to have no problems with that in the U.S.).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan