HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:09 PM
Still optimistic

That's a fun disappearing bike lane trick at Nicholas.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
That's a fun disappearing bike lane trick at Nicholas.
Here's one explanation:

Quote:
That's what I was told, yes. The segment east of William will be quite short; it will only be between William and Ogilvie Square; presumably to allow a connection to bike parking there or a potential future cycling link south on Nicholas or east on Besserer. (Come to think of it, Besserer would make a good parallel bike route to Rideau if they made some improvements- like adding a westbound lane- west of King Edward. East of King Edward, it's a pretty quiet street).

There is no traffic signal at Nicholas, so William is the last opportunity to cross. Also, the previous designs showed a westbound bus layby just east of William, so there would be no room for it to remain on the north side.
I don't see why it couldn't go to Dalhousie at the very least. That would not prevent them from creating a bike lane through Ogilvy Square in the future.

I really don't understand the need for parking (or layby if that's what it is).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:32 PM
Busy Beaver

The bike track should really be extended to Cumberland where a north-south track could be built from York St to uOttawa and link with the existing east-west bike route along Wilbrod/Stewart.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:56 AM

The view this evening along the newly closed Rideau Street. I wonder if OC Transpo will implement wayfinding signage from the LRT William Street exit to Mackenzie King for bus connections?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Here's one explanation:

I don't see why it couldn't go to Dalhousie at the very least. That would not prevent them from creating a bike lane through Ogilvy Square in the future.

Councillor Fleury had this to say about either end of the cycling track:

"West the bi-directional lane will connect to the future Wellington bi-directional lane start at Sussex.

East the bi-directional lane will end at Ogilvie Square for future connection to Nicholas bi-directional lane at Laurier."

https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/st...026115075?s=20

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:34 AM

This is a link to an updated rendering:

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...erspective.pdf

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Here's one explanation:

God forbid we should lose THREE parking stalls 100m from the largest frikking underground parking lot in the city for the sake of some dirtbag cyclists.

Edit: What is the plan here? This is incredible. So the cyclists just dump out on the sidewalk? Then what?

Edit: What provisions are in place for people to safely continue up Rideau??? 95% of people are going to jump the curb straight into the path of a bus. This is not only ridiculous, but deadly dangerous.

Edit: OMG I keep looking at it. I should just stop. But what about at the West end of Rideau? The cyclists just casually mix with the dozens of pedestrians at the crosswalk??? What a ridiculous scheme. This only proves that you can't simply take prescribed rules and plaster them on a document. You need to actually think about solutions to a problem. What happens when the cyclists cross Sussex and are in front of 700 Sussex? They just get squeezed out by a bus (literally)? Come to think of it, how do cyclists coming from the west, travelling east actually GET to the north-east corner of Rideau and Sussex to join this bike path??? Do they just appear suddenly because the bike path exists like some sort of Sim City game????? Come to think of it, how do they magically appear at the East end and travel west? Do they dismount at Dalhousie, cross the street walking, walk a half a block, then casually mount their bikes for 10 metres and wait at the next crosswalk, cross the street again, then continue biking to Rideau and Sussex, then dismount at the crosswalk, walk a block to MacKenzie and Wellington, and then (for some reason) turn North (which is probably the direction they started in anyways, because everyone travelling here in that direction is going downtown but now there's no way to actually GET there without travelling in the street with the buses)???

Edit: I know this is probably death-by-a-thousand-cuts vis-a-vis bike path creation in Ottawa. i.e. when roads are built they get a bike path, but we won't have continuous bike paths until ALL roads are rebuilt. It doesn't help the short term, people who navigate in 6 lanes of traffic every day through these extremely dangerous intersections. Travelling downhill (going east) isn't so bad, because at least you can get enough speed to draft behind a bus or car, but travelling west sucks, when you get passed by every single vehicle with only 2" to spare before getting your scull painfully crushed like that poor woman on Laurier.

Last edited by OTownandDown; Apr 28, 2020 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
God forbid we should lose THREE parking stalls 100m from the largest frikking underground parking lot in the city for the sake of some dirtbag cyclists.

What is the plan here? This is incredible. So the cyclists just dump out on the sidewalk? Then what?

What provisions are in place for people to safely continue up Rideau??? 95% of people are going to jump the curb straight into the path of a bus. This is not only ridiculous, but deadly dangerous.
If someone wanted to continue east on Rideau, it would be much easier to just turn onto the street at the crossing (at William).

With the transit lanes, there isn't room on Rideau for a bikeway to continue east; what I'd like to see is a separated 2-way bike facility on Besserer between Nicholas and King Edward. Besserer is a quiet street east of King Edward; this would provide a parallel bike route to Rideau all the way to the Rideau River.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:27 PM

New, much higher-resolution plan: https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...nderedPlan.pdf

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
If someone wanted to continue east on Rideau, it would be much easier to just turn onto the street at the crossing (at William).

With the transit lanes, there isn't room on Rideau for a bikeway to continue east; what I'd like to see is a separated 2-way bike facility on Besserer between Nicholas and King Edward. Besserer is a quiet street east of King Edward; this would provide a parallel bike route to Rideau all the way to the Rideau River.

Not to mention that these 'bikeways' are so inefficient for cyclists that nobody likes to use them. How about we divert car and bus traffic thru that little dipsy-doodle? Oh wait, it's not efficient. Cyclists are like walkers, we use our body's own energy to get places, therefore we take the shortest route, even if some city planner gives us a whoopsie-daisy loope-the-loop.

Edit: for instance, if I'm on Elgin and I want to go to the Art Gallery (or anywhere in the Market) I'm going to go straight up Elgin, past the war memorial and down through Rideau/Sussex in the traffic lanes, taking the left hand turn onto Sussex in traffic. I always go in the middle of the lane and wait my turn, unlike the traffic-skippers who take their lives in their hands weaving. I'd have no qualms about continuing straight through Rideau travelling downhill along with the busses and traffic. You think I'm going to stop, cross the street, travel half block, stop, cross the street, travel half a block, stop, get back onto the street (because the bike lane stopped suddenly) and then continue onwards? You're crazy. I'm going to use the hill, go straight thru. Is it my fault when I die, or is it the planner's fault?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that these 'bikeways' are so inefficient for cyclists that nobody likes to use them. How about we divert car and bus traffic thru that little dipsy-doodle? Oh wait, it's not efficient. Cyclists are like walkers, we use our body's own energy to get places, therefore we take the shortest route, even if some city planner gives us a whoopsie-daisy loope-the-loop.

Edit: for instance, if I'm on Elgin and I want to go to the Art Gallery (or anywhere in the Market) I'm going to go straight up Elgin, past the war memorial and down through Rideau/Sussex in the traffic lanes, taking the left hand turn onto Sussex in traffic. I always go in the middle of the lane and wait my turn, unlike the traffic-skippers who take their lives in their hands weaving. I'd have no qualms about continuing straight through Rideau travelling downhill along with the busses and traffic. You think I'm going to stop, cross the street, travel half block, stop, cross the street, travel half a block, stop, get back onto the street (because the bike lane stopped suddenly) and then continue onwards? You're crazy. I'm going to use the hill, go straight thru. Is it my fault when I die, or is it the planner's fault?
It sounds like you're a pretty hard-core road warrior cyclist. These separated facilities are not for you; they're for the majority of people who would like to cycle but they are concerned for their safety.

This bikeway on Rideau is only part of a larger network that will extend further west on Wellington, connecting to the Mackenzie and O'Connor bikeways. Just like the experience in other cities, I think we've seen from the Laurier and O'Connor bikeways that protected cycling infrastructure is the key to getting more people on bikes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The bike track should really be extended to Cumberland where a north-south track could be built from York St to uOttawa and link with the existing east-west bike route along Wilbrod/Stewart.
I think you are dead on with this suggestion. Cumberland makes the most sense as a continuous route that cyclists would actually want to use. It's also a reasonably comfortable street to bike on even now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:30 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
It sounds like you're a pretty hard-core road warrior cyclist. These separated facilities are not for you; they're for the majority of people who would like to cycle but they are concerned for their safety.
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that OTown is saying that he'd rather ride in the street than on dedicated infrastructure. My understanding is that he's saying that the way we make dedicated infrastructure is so convoluted, that it's near-unusable.

And I think that there's more than a bit of truth here. Some infrastructure is straightforward and comfortable (Laurier and O'Connor, despite their flaws) and are a pleasure to use. But sometimes, even when there is cycling infrastructure, it's so unreasonably complicated and unwieldy that it just isn't practical or pleasant to use.

Hull provides some good examples:

To avoid modifying the little-used off-ramp onto Lac-Des-Fées, the bike path forces you to take a half-kilometre, 11m-down-and-up-again double loop in order to literally end up a full 4m from your initial position.
It's no surprise that there's a well-beaten path of people jumping over the jersey barrier and darting across the off-ramp, sometimes bikes or kids over their shoulders.

You can even see the path on the satellite image.

_________

Only a few kms east, the bike path requires you to cross the Allumettières 6-8 lanes of Allumettières three times - an average of once every 500 metres. When the bike lane ends, you have no idea that it's now on the other side of the street. And part of the bike path just doesn't exist at all. It just ends unceremoniously at a highway on-ramp.

_________

This isn't uncommon. And when it happens, it almost doesn't matter whether there's dedicated infrastructure because it's unusable for most reasonable people.

That doesn't mean that people will necessarily take the street: they might if they feel comfortable, but others will take the sidewalk (like on Allumettières and Mackenzie), and others just won't bike at all.

The "interested-but-concerned" crowd - of which I consider myself a member - aren't committed enough to cycling to take risks. But they're also not committed enough to put up with this kind of unreasonable infrastructure. And those who are committed may be more tolerant of risk, but they're even less tolerant of bullshit - they'll just take to the street.

Just look at the path on Mackenzie: the cautious cyclists still use the western sidewalk because they don't want to cross and re-cross the street (I do this every day on my commute), and the road warriors still use the street for the same reason. So the bike lane ends up in the weird situation of being surrounded by bikes, and used by none of them.

So in the end, this sort of infrastructure is kinda useless for anyone on a bicycle, no matter where they stand on the spectrum.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:47 PM

I hear what you're saying as well, and we all want more to happen, faster. But we should also celebrate wins where we can.

This is a win, because the initial design presented 2 years ago had zero cycling facilities whatsoever. Many of us pushed hard to get a link at least to William to connect with the LRT station and enable connection to the Market via William.

We not only got that, but we also got the connection on the south side and brand new proposed bikeway along Nicholas to connect with Laurier.

The bikeway along Wellington should get done in the next couple of years, which will connect to Rideau at Sussex, will connect to the extended O'Connor, and will make Mackenzie much more useful.

We are making progress, and no it will not all get done overnight. But it's progress.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 10:18 PM
Still optimistic

That's a fair point, but to an extent. Sometimes a series of small victories leads to progress, and sometimes it leads to an unusable patchwork. Allumettières did this with their various decisions on flip-flopping bike lanes. All of them are gains, but even half-heartedly stitched together, it's hard to call it something resembling good, or even usable. And now it's hard to move any one part of it, let alone justify it to a municipality and a highway ministry which are reluctant to spend on bicycle convenience.

I'm not saying that'll be the case on Rideau. To the contrary, there's been thought about how it's going to connect at Wellington and Mackenzie. But I think that switcharoo at William risks baking in some bad decisions in the future. This will sound very unlike me, but it may have been better to just finish the lane at William for now and leave a clean field for future plans. Don't let today's small victory bring about tomorrow's defeat.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
We not only got that, but we also got the connection on the south side and brand new proposed bikeway along Nicholas to connect with Laurier.
That's interesting. Do you have more details? Can't see much on ottawa.ca

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
That's interesting. Do you have more details? Can't see much on ottawa.ca
Unfortunately no, only what Councillor Fleury has posted on Twitter.

I do know that the Nicholas/Laurier intersection will be reconstructed with a 2-way cross-ride on the west side, so I assume it will be a 2-way bikeway (similar to O'Connor) along the west side of Nicholas between Besserer and Laurier.

This provides a link from Rideau Station to the Laurier Bikeway as well as to the Canal pathway via the existing MUP connection to Nicholas/Laurier.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:38 PM

IF the bike lanes are extended from the War Museum along Wellington to Rideau/Sussex, and IF the bike lane continues all the way up Rideau to Montreal Road, then I will consider this one east-west system complete.

At the moment I'm sick of coming over the portage bridge and having my bike lane end at Wellington, again taking my life in my hands biking uphill in the curb lane past Lyon.

Currently I don't count the sandy hill one-way streets an east-west bike lane, as the stop signs and stop sign runners are annoying and dangerous. Laurier at uOttawa is a death trap, one that results in a good clip coming down Laurier travelling east, and then a bad pinch point with speeders at uOttawa.

One can go south to uOttawa station, through campus, down through Strathcona Park and across the bridge at the Rideau Sports Club, but I wouldn't consider that an efficient commuter route with hills, stop signs, and parkland/shared bridges.

Rideau would be a nice road to have an on-road bike lane, or even something like Main Street, but it's already been constructed for the next 50 years. With less traffic due to the perpetual closure at the Rideau Centre, it's actually super-efficient to commute across town on.

If the goal is zero deaths, then efficient bike lanes are the only answer. I know its a hard answer for our engineers who need to use typical details to shoehorn everything in there, but it's the only answer. And lately, I see too many stupid pedestrian-level details on new streets, caused by taking typical details from a catalogue rather than coming up with creative solutions.

For the moment, the bike lanes in front of the Rideau Centre will be populated with Karen, the suburban urban explorer, who will walk her bike to the start of the bike lane, bike along it, then hop off to walk her bike elsewhere. There's no other way for a 'safety conscious' biker to make it there actually cycling on a road/bike lane.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
For the moment, the bike lanes in front of the Rideau Centre will be populated with Karen, the suburban urban explorer, who will walk her bike to the start of the bike lane, bike along it, then hop off to walk her bike elsewhere. There's no other way for a 'safety conscious' biker to make it there actually cycling on a road/bike lane.
Some on Twitter have suggested a temporary connection on Rideau between Sussex and Mackenzie to connect the new bike way on Rideau to Mackenzie... I think that makes sense until the permanent lanes are added from Sussex westward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation