HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 2:27 AM

Such partnerships are useful. As Volkswagen is learning, the hard part of an EV is software. But as Apple learned in their previous studies in this space and Tesla's persistent quality issues, software chops don't make putting together an automotive supply chain easier. Marry up Apple's software experience with Hyundai's industrial experience and that could be a winning combination.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 9:43 PM

Jaguar is going all-electric by 2025:

Jaguar Swats Its Paw at Tesla, Going All-Electric by 2025
Land Rover is joining the EV party, too, but later.
Nick YekikianAuthorFeb 16, 2021

Until today, Jaguar had only just dipped its paw into the proverbial milk saucer of automotive electrification, but after taking a deep breath, the feline luxury automaker has gone and leapt all the way in. Jaguar will be an all-electric brand by 2025. That means the legendary British marque is taking on Tesla head-on, and doing so much sooner than Bentley and General Motors—two other major brands that have recently promised to go all-electric by a certain date.

This move doesn't merely phase in new EVs that coexist with gas-powered Jags until the internal combustion cars reach the end of their life cycles. Instead, Jaguar is putting a hard stop on gas-powered cars by 2025.

That means the XF sedan, entry-level E-Pace crossover, F-Pace SUV, and F-Type sports car will all cease to exist in their current forms by the time 2025 rolls around. Interestingly, the upcoming all-electric Jaguar XJ sedan—the car that presumably would have led this headfirst charge into the world of EVs—has been cancelled. Jaguar said the XJ nameplate will be retained by the brand (for potential future use), but for now that halo project is dead....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/jagu...on-plans-2025/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:01 PM

Jaguar has all kinds of weird conditions and fudging in their pledge. That said, the 2025 date is deliberate. 2023 is when battery electric powertrain prices could go to parity ($100/kWh) with ICE powertrains.

I've said before and I'll say it again, by 2030, tailpipes will be reserved for the developing world. No country with a half decent grid will want ICEVs after that.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Jaguar has all kinds of weird conditions and fudging in their pledge. That said, the 2025 date is deliberate. 2023 is when battery electric powertrain prices could go to parity ($100/kWh) with ICE powertrains.

I've said before and I'll say it again, by 2030, tailpipes will be reserved for the developing world. No country with a half decent grid will want ICEVs after that.
I guess a half decent grid wouldn't include Texas?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I guess a half decent grid wouldn't include Texas?
LOL.

Add it to all the other Third World,-esque stats they have with those sunbelt states.

Ironically, having EVs with vehicle-to-grid integration would have helped out a lot of homeowners in this situation.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:31 AM

Starting to see a few Ford Mach-E's on the road now. Nice looking cross over.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:44 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
LOL.

Add it to all the other Third World,-esque stats they have with those sunbelt states.

Ironically, having EVs with vehicle-to-grid integration would have helped out a lot of homeowners in this situation.
The criticism of this idea is that it puts extra wear on the batteries, shortening their lifespan, also with questions of efficiency in net energy loss incurred in the process. This is a highly sophisticated network dependent technology which could not be easily implemented in less developed countries.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:49 AM
recession proof

Don't laugh, but I'm currently fixated on buying a base model 2015-17 Nissan Micra with stick shift, no A/C or power locks as my next beater.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Don't laugh, but I'm currently fixated on buying a base model 2015-17 Nissan Micra with stick shift, no A/C or power locks as my next beater.
Good choice. It's awesomely utilitarian and won't cost you much.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The criticism of this idea is that it puts extra wear on the batteries, shortening their lifespan, also with questions of efficiency in net energy loss incurred in the process. This is a highly sophisticated network dependent technology which could not be easily implemented in less developed countries.
I'm willing to bet that if the battery packs get cheap out you'll see places with unreliable grids actually deploying the technology.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Good choice. It's awesomely utilitarian and won't cost you much.
No heated steering wheel, no thanks! One of the requirements of my Bronco order.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
No heated steering wheel, no thanks! One of the requirements of my Bronco order.
Yeah. But that 2015 Micra probably costs less than the tax bill on your new Bronco.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Are you from Quebec?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah. But that 2015 Micra probably costs less than the tax bill on your new Bronco.
No PST/HST so the tax bill is pretty small at least.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that if the battery packs get cheap out you'll see places with unreliable grids actually deploying the technology.
Especially if a market for used/refurbished batteries starts up and they can be bought for far cheaper. Maybe they are used as budget powerwalls at that point.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Especially if a market for used/refurbished batteries starts up and they can be bought for far cheaper. Maybe they are used as budget powerwalls at that point.
There's that. But I'm thinking of folks just buying BEVs and doing a local V2G integration that allows the car to be used as a backup generator.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:29 PM
recession proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Are you from Quebec?
No.

Btw I see you can buy heated steering wheel and seat covers at Canadian Tire/AMZN for $40. My current beater has heated seats - a heated wheel would be nice but not a deal breaker. I'm looking at Micras under $6500.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
There's that. But I'm thinking of folks just buying BEVs and doing a local V2G integration that allows the car to be used as a backup generator.
Nissan did extensive work in Japan with their Leafs.

But yes, using the cars would help too, I'm just thinking of a simpler system. A decent used battery and some solar panels would provide 24hr power in many parts of the world.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:48 PM

What's "vehicle to grid" integration?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
What's "vehicle to grid" integration?
EVs are connected to a charger and feed power back into the grid from their batteries in certain circumstances.

EV batteries are big enough to run an entire home's electricity needs for 3-5 days, depending on models and consumption of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada