HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It's because the third and fourth wards should be split hamburger style, not hotdog style.
I like to think of it as the 4th Ward pointing the middle finger up Clark St. toward City Hall.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:00 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
On City Council, it does seem like those black alderman from a middle-class background have a strong car mentality and can't imagine people living without cars, much less designing public policy around such people. I get a similar vibe from Pat Dowell. Other black alderman like Burnett who hail from a more low-income background tend to sympathize with transit riders more, whether they are low-income or not.
I don't understand Dowell. She grew up in NYC (Queens). I think the new incoming residents are pushing this parking agenda.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I don't understand Dowell. She grew up in NYC (Queens). I think the new incoming residents are pushing this parking agenda.
Queens is big and definitely can be more auto focused than Manhattan especially. I'm not sure what your point is. Some areas of Queens look like Western Avenue up in West Ridge. There are dense areas obviously that are less auto focused, but Queens is definitely more auto focused than you probably realize.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:27 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Queens is big and definitely can be more auto focused than Manhattan especially. I'm not sure what your point is. Some areas of Queens look like Western Avenue up in West Ridge. There are dense areas obviously that are less auto focused, but Queens is definitely more auto focused than you probably realize.
I guess I would have expected her to be more accepting of dense transit friendly developments. She seems to be going in the opposite direction, or maybe she realizes the whole parking issue could cause problems for her politically. Still, I'm disappointed in some of her actions.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I guess I would have expected her to be more accepting of dense transit friendly developments. She seems to be going in the opposite direction, or maybe she realizes the whole parking issue could cause problems for her politically. Still, I'm disappointed in some of her actions.
Logically, a politician is probably responding to the loudest constituency in their ward.

Perhaps she has not yet received enough campaign contributions to do what developers would like... give it time.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:33 PM

Revcon drilling rigs on site at 167 N Green.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:13 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
It's not so much Dowell that's obsessed with parking; it's Ald. King (4th). The only time I ever hear Dowell talking about parking is explaining what residents near Soldier Field and Wintrust Arena need to do to avoid getting parking tickets during events. Ald. King, on the other hand, has spent hours obsessed with the street parking in Dearborn Park I, and she hears most loudly from the "old maid brigade" of South Loop drivers.

Dowell's only qualm about the 15th & Clark Red Line station was the construction disruption to the park, and the Related team didn't help that by declining to offer any sort of estimate for how long the park would be torn up. So she was just responding to her constituents, a delicate problem faced by all elected representatives when that may not align with what's best for the city as a whole. In a private conversation, I certainly felt she fully understood the need for the station.

As for the #31 bus line, I put a rather pointed question to her at a recent forum; her response focused on the laughably low ridership despite repeated extensions to the trial period.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:39 PM

What park at 15th and Clark? I don't think that patch of grass qualifies.

Cotton Tail? Why would they need to tear that up?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:13 PM
Urbane observer

Read the saga in The 78 thread. Initially it was thought that the only place the station platforms could go is on the straightaway underneath Cotton Tail Park.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Read the saga in The 78 thread. Initially it was thought that the only place the station platforms could go is on the straightaway underneath Cotton Tail Park.
the good thing is its all now approved as of today so hopefully her objections will not mean anything.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:30 AM
Urbane observer

^Dowell's objections got the station moved west of Clark. Yesterday she removed (nearly) all property east of Clark from the TIF that passed today to ensure the station couldn't go there.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
the good thing is its all now approved as of today so hopefully her objections will not mean anything.
I agree. I have my fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:55 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
It's not so much Dowell that's obsessed with parking; it's Ald. King (4th). The only time I ever hear Dowell talking about parking is explaining what residents near Soldier Field and Wintrust Arena need to do to avoid getting parking tickets during events. Ald. King, on the other hand, has spent hours obsessed with the street parking in Dearborn Park I, and she hears most loudly from the "old maid brigade" of South Loop drivers.

Dowell's only qualm about the 15th & Clark Red Line station was the construction disruption to the park, and the Related team didn't help that by declining to offer any sort of estimate for how long the park would be torn up. So she was just responding to her constituents, a delicate problem faced by all elected representatives when that may not align with what's best for the city as a whole. In a private conversation, I certainly felt she fully understood the need for the station.

As for the #31 bus line, I put a rather pointed question to her at a recent forum; her response focused on the laughably low ridership despite repeated extensions to the trial period.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:08 PM

Fence going up around Clark & Barlow

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Fence going up around Clark & Barlow
Alright! (sort of)

It still beats a parking lot, but damn it another podium...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
It still beats a parking lot, but damn it another podium...
I feel for you but this seems to be a national problem of the parking podium.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
353 W Grand is in a league of it's own. It's like an aircraft carrier coming off of the building.
so true, but ill take anything lol

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:16 AM

Gr333n:

The Mill:

These were both waaaaayyyy bigger than I expected. Very happy with how they are turning out

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:30 AM

^ Man that one in the first pic if was bigger would land large transport planes-I see what you guys mean..lol!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:00 AM

Here's a walk-though of my updated 3D Chicago model. Too many proposals/UC projects to name, including Tribune 2, OCS, the 78 Site, 1000 S Michigan, NEMA, Vista, Wolfpoint, Site I, 400 LSD and a bunch more.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations