HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 2:38 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 2:40 PM
New Yorker for life

This one is best of all the renderings as far as I'm concerned...show me to the Airtrain...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonrab...t-master-plan/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:56 PM

Regarding the discussion above of extending runways and such. Need I remind you that all this is to improve LGA for the most part, aesthetically. It stemmed from Biden's comments that LGA LOOKED like "a third world country."

Shortsighted and a lost opportunity? Yes, but we are talking about New York and the U.S. here. Both are well known for that.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Regarding the discussion above of extending runways and such. Need I remind you that all this is to improve LGA for the most part, aesthetically. It stemmed from Biden's comments that LGA LOOKED like "a third world country."

Shortsighted and a lost opportunity? Yes, but we are talking about New York and the U.S. here. Both are well known for that.

Definitely Shortsighted and a lost opportunity!

The new terminal will be built closer to the GCP exactly where all the parking exists today for the airport..looks like they eliminate all the parking, even by the Delta terminals. One of the biggest issues with LaGuardia is it's two interlocking runways.. and from what I see ...that will not be addressed.

Sure it looks good, but it will be a nightmare to live with during construction and not really change much operationally at the airport once it comes on line completely. 4 Billion and supposedly 18 months to complete will balloon to 8-10 billion and 5-6 years completion...at best...typical for NYC!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 6:15 PM

No parking isn't eliminated, it's in the 'box' at the western end of the terminal. And according to the video posted, not reconfiguring runways is saving this project years of environmental reviews/studies/approvals.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pols Vow to Keep Community Interests in Mind During LaGuardia Renovation

Quote:
The estimated $4 billion gut renovation of LaGuardia Airport will turn the outdated place into a modern facility, but local pols said they'll fight to keep the community's best interests in mind during construction.

The plan was praised Monday after it was announced by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Vice President Joe Biden, who last year said the airport resembled a “third-world country”

The dig about LaGuardia, which is widely considered one of the worst airports in the country because of its outdated facilities and delays, prompted Cuomo to launch a design competition for smaller renovations.

But after trying to develop a larger plan for the airport, Cuomo said the Port Authority realized it couldn’t be fixed piece by piece.

“We need to literally tear it down and rebuild it,” he said.

Construction, set to begin in 2016 with completion by 2021, will include demolishing Terminal B to build a larger, central terminal that is 600 feet closer to the Grand Central Parkway.

This restructuring will create 2 miles of new space for planes to taxi, which will reduce delays, officials said.

And while the panel overseeing construction and offering suggestions skews heavily towards developers — it’s lead by Dan Tishman, chairman of the Tishman Construction Corporation and a top donor to Cuomo — it also includes Borough President Melinda Katz, who said the communities around LaGuardia are her top priority.

“My role on this committee was to take into account the community concerns of rebuilding the airport,” she said.

“One is rebuilding the actual site, and the other is clearly the noise [from air traffic.]”

Noise from increased air traffic is currently being examined through a study with the FAA, which will give a more accurate assessment of air traffic noise from planes landing and taking off from LaGuardia, Katz said.

“It's really the first time we're going to be placing monitors to get a vision and a reading on the perimeter of the noise,” she said.

It's not clear how the findings of the current noise study will be taken into consideration with the new construction, especially this early on.

Some of the other ideas from the panel, like increased parking at the airport and reconfiguring the site’s roads, stemmed from traffic concerns around the surrounding areas, Katz said.

There will also be a ''cell phone lot'' so people picking up travelers don’t idle on residential streets or on the shoulder of the Grand Central Parkway, she said.

State Sen. Tony Avella, who has been active with groups pushing to limit air traffic congestion, said he has concerns about traffic inreases and additional flights over Queens.

"We need to ensure that as this project goes forward, we are addressing these and any other issues that arise," he said in a statement.
========================
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2015...dia-renovation

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't know what all the griping is about. Some of you wouldn't be happy with anything. LaGuardia as is is a dump. It's hard to believe that such an airport exists in New York City (sure, there are 2 other area airports, but that's no excuse). It needs it's makeover, and it needs it now. With such limited space, it will be a complicated process.

As for the people who live in the area, I'm sure they're used to living with the airport. I lived near JFK for years, and when I go back now, I wonder how we ever lived through that constant barrage. But you get used to it. The people will handle the construction disruptions, because the only alternative is to move. Life doesn't go exactly the way you want it to sometimes. But they'll get over it. The city needs this.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

LaGuardia Overhaul Could Actually Cost $8 Billion and Take Over 10 Years to Complete

Quote:
For those of you still flying high over yesterday’s news that LaGuardia Airport would soon be getting a major revamp, here comes some unfortunate news that might bring you back down to earth. As Crain’s reports, Governor Cuomo appears to have grossly underestimated his vision for the upgraded air hub. “According to several sources with direct knowledge of the project,” the paper says, “a new LaGuardia could take more than 10 years to build and cost close to $8 billion”—a price that’s double the Cuomo administration estimates of $4 billion, with at least another five years tacked on to the schedule.

As revealed yesterday, the plan put out by Cuomo includes consolidating all the airports terminals—the Central Terminal Building/Terminal B, and Terminals C and D—into one contiguous hub. Additionally, there will be a new AirTrain that will connect travelers to the 7 line in Willet’s Point, as well a 24-hour ferry service that will operate out of the landmarked Art Deco Marine Air Terminal.

The governor said that new facility would begin construction in 2016 and be complete by 2021, however, experts are saying that squeezing all that work into such a narrow block of time is impossible because “it would require redeveloping all three terminals at once, something that would paralyze the airport’s operations.” Rather, they suggest that a more realistic scenario would see the construction of the new Central Terminal Building first, and then Terminals C and D once that is complete. At the end of the day, this would give way to a 2026 completion date. Experts also add that the governor’s cost estimates are far too conservative and also fail to account for improvements to infrastructure, such as roadways, parking, and the new Air Train.

The governor’s office and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, however, still contend that all works will follow a parallel track. “Anonymous sources who assert the two projects won’t happen on a parallel track are wrong,” Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Executive Director Patrick Foye told Crain’s. And in response to the supposed unaccounted costs, he added that “infrastructure investments in one terminal would benefit the others.”

Moreover, it’s worth noting that the Central Terminal Building is receiving most of its funds through a public-private partnership, while Delta will most likely bear the brunt cost redeveloping Terminals C and D; though they are still in negotiations with the Port Authority.
==============================
http://www.6sqft.com/laguardia-overh...s-to-complete/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:42 PM

Looks amazing, are they going to build a temporary terminal? Or reroute flights?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I doubt rerouting flights. Although it looks like a logistical nightmare. Probably sectioning off parts and doing it in stages. Will probably increase the time for completion.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 7:33 PM

I like the proposed renderings, but I don't love them. I don't see any architecturally significant design in any of it. Nothing says Pam Am Worldport to me or anything like that.

When I look at the new design it seems modern but still very limited. It's hard to believe meeting spaces, shopping, and even a hotel would fit in just that.

I agree they will have to completely start over, although those hangars do look impressive, but please do it right- Both architecturally and effectively.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 8:16 PM

An additional runway is a nonstarter in the current political and regulatory environment. You would need massive efforts at the federal and local level.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 3:31 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
If I were in charge :

1. close the damn thing
2. tear it down to nothing
3. sell all materials for scrap,
4. sell the land to rich skyscraper developers
5. invest all that money in Hyperloop.
6. take the nonexistent train from there to Newark
7. rinse
8. repeat

tadaaa

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:24 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
If I were in charge :

1. close the damn thing
2. tear it down to nothing
3. sell all materials for scrap,
4. sell the land to rich skyscraper developers
5. invest all that money in Hyperloop.
6. take the nonexistent train from there to Newark
7. rinse
8. repeat

tadaaa
Or...you know, move as much traffic as possible from both JFK and Newark to a completely reconfigured and expanded LGA.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:47 PM

Question... why isn't this thread in the Transportation subform with all the other airport related projects?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 2:25 PM

Who's Got a Piece of the $4 Billion LaGuardia Project?

Justin Bachman
August 5, 2015

Quote:
New York’s LaGuardia Airport is truly in a league of its own. Despised as decrepit and inefficient, the airport is scheduled for a $4 billion overhaul, pushed aggressively by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, to be completed in 2021 or 2022. LaGuardia’s three primary terminals are to be merged into one, with a large central arrivals and departures hall.

While the budget and construction schedule appear overly ambitious to some, there is reason to believe the political stars have finally aligned to make a new LaGuardia not just possible but almost certain, if everybody stays on board.

Here are some of the powerful parties to the overhaul, and some of the interested ones.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Posted this on SSC, but without more runway capacity it seems they're just building nicer buildings for people to sit around and wait for their delayed flights to leave.
This is only partly correct. As Governor Cuomo's press release noted, moving the terminals closer to the road will create an additional two miles of taxiway space at LaGuardia. The lack of gate availability and adequate runway space is a contributor to delays.

AIRPORT SURFACE OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT AT LAGUARDIA AIRPORT: METERING THE DEPARTURE TRAFFIC

"The main and usual consequences of such a pushback policy are the long lines of aircrafts willing to take-off. Figure 4 shows a typical image at LaGuardia, where there are 29 departing aircrafts on the airport surface willing to take-off. Doing a quick math exercise, a typical departure throughput at LaGuardia with the runway configuration of Figure 4 (31/4) is 10 departures every 15 minutes. With this number, the 29th aircraft in Line, which had just joined the line, had, approximately, 45 minutes of taxiing out before taking-off."

http://ardent.mit.edu/airports/ASP_e...LGA_report.pdf

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 4:03 AM

I think it's time to build another 2 more new runway. 2 runway is not enough. They don't have enough room. Can they have build another 2 more new runway? Lots of aircraft is waiting for takeoff. That is problems. They always delay, delay, and delay. Due to the congestion. I think they have reduce the congestion and eased the congestion.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I think it's time to build another 2 more new runway. 2 runway is not enough. They don't have enough room. Can they have build another 2 more new runway? Lots of aircraft is waiting for takeoff. That is problems. They always delay, delay, and delay. Due to the congestion. I think they have reduce the congestion and eased the congestion.
A study done several years ago by a group of respected aviation planners showed that a new runway at Laguardia wouldn't be worth it. It would allow for very few extra movements / hour. They concluded it was better to add a runway at JFK or EWR from a cost-benefit angle.

I think JFK should be expanded and LaGuardia kept as a regional airport. A fast train service (a la Heathrow Express) should link Westchester, Manhattan (various points), Laguardia and JFK. JFK can fit another two runways. It's a difficult thing to do, but it is the best hope for expansion of any airport in the area. The other options are either too constricted (LGA/EWR) or too far away (Stewart/ISP). Short of spending 50 billion to build an airport in the bay on an island, a reconfiguration of the airfield at JFK could fit in 2 more runways without even filling any of the environmentally protected wetlands. The airfield land is not being used most efficiently. Advances in ATC (NextGen) will allow for airspace optimization and allow for these new runways to operate in the future without conflicts from LGA.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Or...you know, move as much traffic as possible from both JFK and Newark to a completely reconfigured and expanded LGA.
LGA is in the middle of the city basically. NIMBY power would never allow for a massive operation at LGA with the massive pollution consequences right over extremely dense neighborhoods. The neighborhoods there are already suffering from health issues. These are very dense areas. Even if they somehow got it through, I'm not interested in having a massive airport there. I believe JFK is a far better place to expand than LGA given the location on the ocean. All it needs is better access (think London).

Best option is to either build a new airport (which would most likely have to be off-shore, thus ruling it out for the USA), or expand existing airports. JFK has far more room for expansion than LGA or EWR, it's just a matter of political will to get it done. It has approaches/takeoff options over the open sea which is a major benefit over LGA. The other options are either too far away (Stewart/ISP) or politically impossible (building a new greenfield airport somewhere close to NYC).

My dream scenario would be that the government sell off military land in Jersey -- either the Earl Weapons Range or the McGuire AFB, and a new massive NYC-PHL area airport is built from scratch (8 runways) to replace EWR/JFK and bring more capacity for Philadelphia. LGA would remain for business/short hauls. HSR lines from multiple points would allow easy access from all points of the metro area and central check in terminals with secure baggage transfer could be built in Manhattan and Philadelphia to speed up travel.

Realistically, I see JFK adding another runway on existing land when passenger figures force the hand of the authorities. There is room for another runway on the north side of JFK right now if the hangers are demolished. Airspace restrictions can be dealt with with future NextGen technology. There really is no way I can see LGA being expanded as it's not worth it as the RPA figures showed in there major report.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 23, 2015 at 3:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development