HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:19 AM
Here we stAy

Everyone, write all the Sacramento politicians you can (State and City) to make sure the BOE stays downtown, and preferably in a skyscraper that doesn't fall apart while also being friendly at street level.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 7:34 AM

Davis is also pictured on RT's long term plan. how long do you think until all the NIMBYs here relent and allow light rail?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 11:17 PM

Midtown Clarion hotel to be razed for mixed-use, artsy senior housing

Jun 6, 2014, 4:33pm PDT

Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer-
Sacramento Business Journal

A defunct Clarion Hotel in midtown Sacramento would be redeveloped into a mixed-use project centered on art and intended for seniors, including a community art center. According to an application with the city’s planning department, San Diego-based Pacifica Companies would raze the existing Clarion at 700 16th St. and replace it with a four-story, 156,481-square-foot project that would include 160 living units and ground-level commercial spaces at the corners.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...mixed-use.html

MUST be the arena.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Midtown Clarion hotel to be razed for mixed-use, artsy senior housing

Jun 6, 2014, 4:33pm PDT

Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer-
Sacramento Business Journal

A defunct Clarion Hotel in midtown Sacramento would be redeveloped into a mixed-use project centered on art and intended for seniors, including a community art center. According to an application with the city’s planning department, San Diego-based Pacifica Companies would raze the existing Clarion at 700 16th St. and replace it with a four-story, 156,481-square-foot project that would include 160 living units and ground-level commercial spaces at the corners.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...mixed-use.html

MUST be the arena.
yup..........

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:51 PM
Hindrance to Development

Also a plan that has been around for a while, but has gone through a few changes. Their earlier idea was to put an Alzheimer's care facility on the site, in addition to talk about just leveling the block for a parking lot. Apparently the neighbors rallied for something more connected with the neighborhood, and more residential.

Hm. 160 units, 136 dua. No parking lot. Ground floor retail, all zero lot line. Could use some bike parking, I think.

Interesting.

Last edited by wburg; Jun 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Also a plan that has been around for a while, but has gone through a few changes. Their earlier idea was to put an Alzheimer's care facility on the site, in addition to talk about just leveling the block for a parking lot. Apparently the neighbors rallied for something more connected with the neighborhood, and more residential.

Hm. 160 units, 136 dua. No parking lot. Ground floor retail, all zero lot line. Could use some bike parking, I think.

Interesting.

Another 16th Street infill! I like the little nod to De Stijl. Mucho better than what was there before and the surface parking lot mentioned. Now we've dancing around the most important sites along that corridor - 16th/J and 16th/K. When are we going to see those converted from parking lots of mix-use housing?

Thanks the god there'll be no parking. Senior citizens and driving don't mix. I know I do not want to be driving myself around in my old age. But I'm equally worried about them riding a bike. That's where those pedicabs could actually come in handy and make some money.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:35 AM
Hindrance to Development

Supposedly the J Street half of that block was converted to parking about 35 years ago--by fire. Prior to that, it was a mixed-use building with ground floor retail and residential above. Figure we'll see something there when the economics for housing are better than the economics for parking on that block. So far I'm not seeing a lot of parking lot conversions, although several formerly "illegal" parking lots have recently started applying to be officially permitted.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:

Interesting.
I LOVE the grassy strip (with trees! ) separating the sidewalk from the street! The building itself is awesome!!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:02 AM
Here we stAy

I like the project itself, but until Public Works agrees to take 16th down to at least three lanes (instead of the four currently there), that block and others further up 16th are going to be hard for pedestrian and bike mobility. It's simply not safe as drivers treat it like an expressway because it's engineered like one, with little to no consideration for other users. A bulb-out for the corner shown in the rendering would be a good start.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:19 AM
Hindrance to Development

The grassy strip with trees is basically the same sidewalk/street interface you see throughout Midtown. Admittedly it's an improvement over multiple curb cuts for driveways and a minimal number of street trees on the current site. I'm not too impressed with the architecture, but early renderings can be a bit unimpressive. Hopefully they get convinced to spend a bit more money on a good designer to make the building architecturally unique.

Right now there is no pedestrian crossing of 16th Street at that corner--it's where H Street, a one-way feeder street, turns left onto 16th Street, meaning during rush hours there is traffic crossing 16th Street no matter whose light is green. The only way to make the crossing somewhat safe would be to add a third light cycle just for pedestrian movement, and you'd still have people turning left on the red light in the far left lane. As far as bike mobility goes, H Street and 16th Street are "ride on the sidewalks or get flattened" territory.

It looks like they plan to add street parking along the 16th Street frontage, which means taking a lane away from a major artery out of downtown. I'm fine with it, but then I don't have to commute home. The crosswalk over 16th might be conjectural--but then, the parking might be too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:04 AM
Here we stAy

From what I can tell of the rendering, I think it's showing the 15th and H corner looking NE (looks like alley space and Holiday Inn massing on the left). Adding parking back to that side of the street would mess up the work the City did a couple years ago to make sure there's a dedicated bike lane on H between 15th and 16th, unless they then take the parking off the south side of the street.

I ride H every day on my commute home and have since learned when and when not to make a move on that street. It wouldn't be pretty without that bike lane just before 16th.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Supposedly the J Street half of that block was converted to parking about 35 years ago--by fire. Prior to that, it was a mixed-use building with ground floor retail and residential above. Figure we'll see something there when the economics for housing are better than the economics for parking on that block. So far I'm not seeing a lot of parking lot conversions, although several formerly "illegal" parking lots have recently started applying to be officially permitted.
Which in my dreams, the city would levy a hefty tax on privately-owned surface parking lots in the central city. Excluding UP's railroad lots- which are inexpensive and unconvertable. Then use that money towards building a new public (city) parking garage in west central Midtown and Downtown-Sutter's Fort streetcar.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:42 PM
Hindrance to Development

Sadly, there is no such tax--and the arena term sheet specifically prohibits such a tax.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Sadly, there is no such tax--and the arena term sheet specifically prohibits such a tax.
Interesting. Does that apply specifically to their (arena-owners) lots or too all lots?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:29 PM
Hindrance to Development

To all privately owned lots. There has also been a rush to legalize and approve several parking lots downtown in the past few months--most were operating primarily as monthly parking and kind of flying under the radar, but legalizing lets them do hourly parking. They pay regular city fees, and it's probably going to be more difficult to approve new parking lots or structures, but there's going to be a bonanza in the parking lot business. The upside is that if state and private lots along Capitol Avenue start opening up during games, they will make a lot of money and there will be a lot of foot traffic in the evening along those corridors, meaning maybe more restaurants etc. open in the evening along Capitol. The down side is a loss of parking revenue to repay the construction loan. We'll see how things balance out.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:34 PM

Renderings released for the Sacramento Commons project:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...o-commons.html

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post

Very nice

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:

Wow, I feel like it's Christmas. Please dear lord let them build at least one 25 story res building before the next crash.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:

If that's what they're going to look like, I LOOOOOOOOOVE them!!!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 11:53 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

I can't recall.. Are Sac Commons rental or purchase?

Hopefully they will go with the 320 room option. If we want to hold larger events downtown such as an All-Star Game, we will need more rooms!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area