HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
This is just my opinion, but there is just too many threads about the Greater Moncton area, I don't think it's needed and most of these should all be merged...
Just plain silly, sorry.
The main Moncton thread has surpassed 10,000 posts and is due for retirement.

The issue was "what to do to replace it"

The St. John's forumers at about the same time decided to approach the website administrators with the idea of creating a local or a subforum for the Newfoundland capital. I thought it might be a propitious time for Moncton to do the same thing and I suggested that a subforum be created for Moncton at the same time.

The advantages of having a subforum include:
- better organization of discussions on various topics based on factors such individual project, specific neighbourhood or type of economic activity.
- more coherent discussions on individual topics (before it was possible that a number of unrelated posts could be interposed between a salient post and a reply).
- easier to find relevant older posts that might be germain to a current discussion. For example, there are a number of posts on the main Moncton thread that would be great for reference with relation to the current discussion on the events center, but they are buried somewhere in over 500 pages of posts and are therefore almost impossible to find
- with more threads, the longevity of discussions will be much greater. The main Moncton thread is ready for retirement after only five years.

Unfortunately the website administrators denied the requests by Moncton and St. John's for subforums (for the time being) and suggested the current system as a stopgap that they could monitor and decide at some point in the future whether a subforum is justifiable.

I am not entirely happy with the current situation either, as it is not as organized as a subforum would be. The individual Moncton threads are buried between a bunch of St. John's and unrelated Atlantic Canadian threads and can be difficult to find at times but I think we should try to grin and bear the situation for the time being. If we are able to prove that Monctonians will support multiple threads, I think we will be able to go back to the admins in six months time and make the case again for a full fledged subforum.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces