HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a ETS Rapid Transit masterplan scheme?
Yes, I'd vote for more BRT/LRT 291 82.44%
No, what we have is fine. 34 9.63%
I dunno, maybe, yes, no, whatever. 28 7.93%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Would you prefer an A380 once a day or 50 Q400s?

Frequency is more important than cabin size, but I suspect there will be a few 'feature' units that can be used for special events, corporate use and the like.
At the moment, it sounds like all Q400s, which for the record I refuse to book travel on. Might as well ride a donkey.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 9:53 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I'd love to see fare integration with ETS on the Gondola but that would involve some sort of subsidy for sure. I work downtown and love the prospect of heading to Whyte Ave for lunch. And with connections for residents along North Sask Dr, the power plant for the river valley system and also Kinsmen pool just across the river, Rossdale Flats, I definitely can see it being used by the everyday Edmontonian.
What's stopping you today from heading to lunch on whyte avenue? The 8 takes about 15 minutes (from the telus house), and runs every 10 minutes.

Oh yea... buses lower your self-esteem or something the moment you board them. You become a lesser person somehow? Or what?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
What's stopping you today from heading to lunch on whyte avenue? The 8 takes about 15 minutes (from the telus house), and runs every 10 minutes.

Oh yea... buses lower your self-esteem or something the moment you board them. You become a lesser person somehow? Or what?
That assumes you time getting to the bus perfectly.

A gondola would have no wait times, you just hop on right?

A gondola doesn't hit traffic.

If you are trying to get out of the office over a lunch hour, 5-10mins on even a 15 min trip on either end makes it impossible. You aren't getting to Whyte and back to do anything riding the bus.

It's also boring compared to a gondola.

So maybe it isn't anything about becoming a lesser person at all.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:38 PM
Change is good

how long is the trip time on said gondola? If your constricted to just one hour for lunch, it makes it pretty impossible to go anywhere outside of the immediate area. I doubt the gondola helps makes trips to whyte avenue for lunch more attractive...

And do we really want to be pulling retail/restaurant traffic more away from downtown as it is?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
how long is the trip time on said gondola? If your constricted to just one hour for lunch, it makes it pretty impossible to go anywhere outside of the immediate area. I doubt the gondola helps makes trips to whyte avenue for lunch more attractive...

And do we really want to be pulling retail/restaurant traffic more away from downtown as it is?
Fair questions. I would like to know the length of trip as well.

As to pulling away, it could also flow both ways. There are great restaurants on both sides.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:

That's a lot of assumptions about me.

What Hardhatdan said. Although in all fairness, it would be just a once every couple weeks kind of treat so I could have an extended 90 minute lunch.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:02 PM
Community Guy

The intent is for <10mins.

https://www.prairieskygondola.com/faq

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The intent is for <10mins.

https://www.prairieskygondola.com/faq
That would be really good, especially with a stop. Seems doable.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 1:17 AM

deleted

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:32 AM

It takes about 15 minutes to get to Sunshine Village Ski Resort from the parking lot. Check out the video link below, it will give you an idea how fast the gondola will go.
https://youtu.be/yuckMa_aUms

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
It takes about 15 minutes to get to Sunshine Village Ski Resort from the parking lot. Check out the video link below, it will give you an idea how fast the gondola will go.
https://youtu.be/yuckMa_aUms
Are you certain this is the same cable cars and cable system? In any event Prairie state its 10 minutes to cover 3km with a stop at Rossdale. If the stop is 2 minutes that leaves 8min/3km and average speed of 22.5 km/hr. without traffic, traffic lights. Not bad and likely faster than the new line from Millwoods given it stops with traffic speed and lights.

Last edited by EdmTrekker; Nov 25, 2021 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:58 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:

There'll be some signal prioritization for Valley Line. They might hold the green for longer or make it come earlier to match the train.
I can guarantee you that this idea was never ever approved at any of the community consultation sessions and that's because it was never ever brought up by any of the consultants.

See, this is what's wrong about this whole project.

Yet--they're winning awards already without a single passenger having been transported from A to B. Nice work if you can get it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:04 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:
Still haven't figured out the point of the gondola, nor how it will make money (or even break even), or how the claims that it won't involve any tax dollars, or major concessions and freeland from the city.

This thread is about public transit, not a tourist gimmick...
Nobody in this city promotes any public project without a firm expectation of a generous payout.

This one might be different but...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:07 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:
I'd love to see fare integration with ETS on the Gondola but that would involve some sort of subsidy for sure. I work downtown and love the prospect of heading to Whyte Ave for lunch. And with connections for residents along North Sask Dr, the power plant for the river valley system and also Kinsmen pool just across the river, Rossdale Flats, I definitely can see it being used by the everyday Edmontonian.
I work downtown too and I've gone to Whyte Avenue several times for lunch or lunch-like activities.

I've never heard of anybody wishing they were at the Rossdale Power Plant instead of anywhere else. Who owns that thing? Are the owners and operators promoting this gondola? I can't imagine any other reason for buying that building.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:15 PM
Community Guy

^yet.

EPCOR is/has transferred it to the COE and it will need a creative partnership (perhaps a Part 9 Corp) to get er done, but I have great hope in you wanting to go there for lunch, for a show, to create, to remember, to learn and to party in coming years.

West Rossdale, the PP and the pump houses are key to making the gondola a strategic people mover.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:56 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilicho View Post
Yet--they're winning awards already without a single passenger having been transported from A to B. Nice work if you can get it.
Yeah, that totally escapes me. I wonder how many awards the Metro line won also.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
That line towards Calder would have been great and a bit of a missed opportunity to use the existing ROW there perhaps.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:23 PM
Community Guy

Stunning video of our new LRT bridge and area.

Video Link

Last edited by Coldrsx; Nov 25, 2021 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:05 PM
Change is good

I've never understood why we dont turn that 121 street former rail ROW into LRT up to st albert. Tons of options for redevelopment along that route too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton