HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 4:57 PM
recession proof

^Is that confirmed? Some Redditors say he was an airsoft player.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Not confirmed. I'm going by comments online.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
People who want suicide by cop don't often wear bulletproof vests and helmet.
that Veltman guy is a fucking piece of shit.

Suspect in alleged London hate killings laughed during arrest: Witness

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:35 PM

Ottawa at 8.

Quote:
Ottawa police say a 37-year-old man is now charged with manslaughter after the victim in an assault in Vanier last month died from their injuries.

Police say the victim, 34-year-old Mikael Arjani of Ottawa, was found with extensive injuries. On Tuesday, he died in hospital due to his injuries.

William Brown, 37, of Ottawa was initially charged with aggravated assault.

Brown is now charged with manslaughter.

This is Ottawa's eighth homicide of 2021.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
From the article that MolsonExport posted:

Quote:
The pickup driver was wearing what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest, a military-style helmet and clothing that perhaps had swastikas on it, Savehilaghi said he was told by the cabbie.....Police have confirmed the driver was wearing a body-armour-style vest at the time of his arrest, but a police spokesperson declined to say whether he was also wearing anything depicting swastikas.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:02 PM

I'm going to guess alt right sympathies run strong in the Veltman family. I wonder how this one is related to the suspect:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/lett...ts_at_cbc.html

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/lett...star_web_ymbii

Posts on Reddit and Twitter suggest the above letter to The Star are from his father. If true (and there's no confirmation), I think we have some idea of where he learned to hate.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:14 PM
recession proof

Not his father: His great grandmother died last week: https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...s-of-Strathroy

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Not his father: His great grandmother died last week: https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...s-of-Strathroy
How many freaking Veltmans are there in London??

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:33 PM
recession proof

Veltman is a common Dutch surname. It literally means "field man." It can also be Ashkenazi Jewish and German Mennonite. In his case he's Dutch Canadian. Drive across Southern Ontario especially south of the 401 and Dutch surnames are everywhere - they own large acreages growing vegetables, corn, dairy etc. Many Scots-Irish farmers sold their 100 acre family farms to conservative Dutch Christian families from the 1950s to the 1990s, who thanks to having large families, access to big amounts of money from selling their Netherlands farms, knowledge and use of the latest farm tech like robotics, have become very wealthy. This breed of Dutchman is very different than the urbanites found in places like Amsterdam or Rotterdam; they're ethnically closer to the Pennsylvania Dutch. Their brand of Christianity is extremely pious, right wing and still influenced by what's happening in Holland.

Or maybe Nate was angry about the covid19 lockdowns and blamed the South Asian community?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not saying this doesn't happen elsewhere in Canada because it obviously does including in my own city, but from what I gather it sounds like London has a pretty significant problem with racism and bigotry.

I would not be shocked to hear of those types of attitudes being common in a small town of, say, 10 or 15 thousand people, but it is a bit weird to hear about it happening in a metropolitan area of nearly a half million people where you'd think people would be used to seeing other people who don't necessarily look like them.
This is a minority view on SSP and in 2021 I'd say, but based on what I've heard and read, I've been slowly coming around to the conclusion that, at least within the confines of Canada, there probably isn't a great difference in this stuff depending on where you live. So I at least wouldn't throw stones at London specifically - at least not relative to any other place.

I base this on people I've known or heard from, some of which live in places like Chicoutimi or St. John's and are perfectly happy, feel accepted and report little racism, and others who live in Toronto or Montreal and say their lives are a living hell because of all the racism there.

It really does seem that people's experiences are highly variable and also personal and even situational.

As opposed to something that's in the water in specific places.

Sometimes it can actually be cool and exotic to be the only black kid at the local high school. You're not necessarily the pariah, you might be the star.

Recent news from New Brunswick's extremely non-diverse Acadian Peninsula:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...kassim-doumbia

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a minority view on SSP and in 2021 I'd say, but based on what I've heard and read, I've been slowly coming around to the conclusion that, at least within the confines of Canada, there probably isn't a great difference in this stuff depending on where you live. So I at least wouldn't throw stones at London specifically - at least not relative to any other place.
I'd say London actually has some unique problems.

My wife has plenty of stories too. And she couldn't wait to leave to London.

You won't find pieces like this about Trois-Rivieres:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xd7z...hole-to-me-152

Is it as bad as say the US South? Probably not. But I do think it's not close to as tolerant as what one might expect for a city of that size, so close to Toronto. And this is what that legislative candidate was calling out in his Facebook post.

Lest we forget the region was settled by Confederate refugees. Though, it's obviously debatable how much of that has carried over to today.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:

Is it as bad as say the US South? Probably not. But I do think it's not close to as tolerant as what one might expect for a city of that size, so close to Toronto. And this is what that legislative candidate was calling out in his Facebook post.

Lest we forget the region was settled by Confederate refugees. Though, it's obviously debatable how much of that has carried over to today.
Only because the Quebec media doesn’t give a shit about these stories.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

from the article (sounds very familiar):
Quote:
During a class discussion on racism in my third year, an offended white girl raised her hand and said, "Like, I don't get why we're still talking about slavery. Like, it's done. Get over it."
and this
Quote:
Days after the Gazette published its Black History Month edition, a comment ran in the "Dear Life" section that read: "Why does it seem that the point of Black History Month has changed from celebrating black culture to making white people feel bad for being white?"

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Veltman is a common Dutch surname. It literally means "field man." It can also be Ashkenazi Jewish and German Mennonite. In his case he's Dutch Canadian. Drive across Southern Ontario especially south of the 401 and Dutch surnames are everywhere - they own large acreages growing vegetables, corn, dairy etc. Many Scots-Irish farmers sold their 100 acre family farms to conservative Dutch Christian families from the 1950s to the 1990s, who thanks to having large families, access to big amounts of money from selling their Netherlands farms, knowledge and use of the latest farm tech like robotics, have become very wealthy. This breed of Dutchman is very different than the urbanites found in places like Amsterdam or Rotterdam; they're ethnically closer to the Pennsylvania Dutch. Their brand of Christianity is extremely pious, right wing and still influenced by what's happening in Holland.

Or maybe Nate was angry about the covid19 lockdowns and blamed the South Asian community?
There's also a substantial Dutch population around the Strathroy area, many of whom still own a lot of the farmland in the surrounding areas. I knew quite a few Dutch from western Middlesex County in high school. Some came to Canada following World War II.

The Highway 3 corridor from St. Thomas to Simcoe is also heavily Dutch, particularly around Tillsonburg and Delhi.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get that there are probably nonwhite people who live in London and love it, and there are probably racist incidents that occur just about anywhere in Canada, unfortunately... often these are situational, as you point out. But just going on reputation it strikes me that London may have a slightly more pronounced a problem with this sort of thing relative to other cities of that size. If that is the case, I wonder why that might be? Normally you'd expect cities of that size to be reasonably cosmopolitan places even if they aren't necessarily NYC.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
from the article (sounds very familiar):

and this
You should read some of the follow up mail she got:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wd7j...racist-asshole

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Oh, I betcha you could.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Only because the Quebec media doesn’t give a shit about these stories.
Vice is web-based media. Anyone can start one of those up.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I get that there are probably nonwhite people who live in London and love it, and there are probably racist incidents that occur just about anywhere in Canada, unfortunately... often these are situational, as you point out. But just going on reputation it strikes me that London may have a slightly more pronounced a problem with this sort of thing relative to other cities of that size. If that is the case, I wonder why that might be? Normally you'd expect cities of that size to be reasonably cosmopolitan places even if they aren't necessarily NYC.
I wonder what gave people that impression....

https://lfpress.com/2014/05/09/londo...n-police-radar

London has always had a bit of a reputation in Ontario on this stuff. The other town that comes to mind is Peterborough.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
As you can imagine, I have no skin in the game when it comes to London, and therefore no vested interest in defending the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada