HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Much more articulate than Justin Trudeau
Lol. Who isn't?

(That was a rhetorical question, but you'd be correct answering "Miss Teen South Carolina 2007".)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
if Wigs were born and raised Québécois (and therefore would have some of this place's unique quirks ingrained in him)
That's a bit too much of an "if".

Might as well say that "if" Wigs had been born and raised in a Weimar Germany bled dry by the extremely harsh provisions of the Versailles Treaty, he would have voted for Adolf Hitler.

The question is how Wigs would vote, not how Alternate-Universe-Wigs would vote

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Might as well say that "if" Wigs had been born and raised in a Weimar Germany bled dry by the extremely harsh provisions of the Versailles Treaty, he would have voted for Adolf Hitler.

PLQ for sure, then.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
That said, Macron seems reasonably intelligent and literate (for a 2020s politician). I'm impressed.
Macron is haughty, and doesn't have a common touch. He's what we call "hors sol" in French, that's his problem. Parizeau in that interview didn't appear to me as "hors sol" and lacking common touch.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Macron is haughty, and doesn't have a common touch. He's what we call "hors sol" in French, that's his problem. Parizeau in that interview didn't appear to me as "hors sol" and lacking common touch.
I agree: Parizeau was very 'common man'. To the point of the filter that would have saved other politicians' skins was missing at key moments.

It was both his greatest asset and greatest flaw.

I do kind of want lobster for dinner now.

Edit: At least he had the good sense to keep his mouth mostly shut after he promised to leave politics.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
(That was a rhetorical question, but you'd be correct answering "Miss Teen South Carolina 2007".)
No, I would answer "the Donald". Although I must say, despite his despicable morality and behavior, Trump does have a certain businesslike common sense that is refreshing at times.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Emmanuel Macron is probably the most statesman-like, intellectual, sophisticated world leader of all of the world leaders I follow at the moment.

But yes he is very out of touch with the average person.

He is fairly unique right now in terms of the first characteristics, but not unique at all for the second ones.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Emmanuel Macron is probably the most statesman-like, intellectual, sophisticated world leader of all of the world leaders I follow at the moment.

But yes he is very out of touch with the average person.

He is fairly unique right now in terms of the first characteristics, but not unique at all for the second ones.
I'm trying to think of recent world leaders that had both characteristics: in-touch and intellectual at the same time.

Barack Obama? Jean Chretien? Bill Clinton? Any other ones? The list from European leaders is harder: Tony Blair maybe, but I'm mostly too out of touch for a comprehensive list.

I'm getting old.

Last edited by thewave46; Oct 3, 2022 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
No, I would answer "the Donald". Although I must say, despite his despicable morality and behavior, Trump does have a certain businesslike common sense that is refreshing at times.
I find Trump to be a much better orator than Trudeau, but again, that’s an extraordinarily low bar.

I agree on the refreshing businesslike common sense too. And on the despicable morality/behavior.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I'm trying to think of recent world leaders that had both characteristics.

Barack Obama? Jean Chretien? Bill Clinton? Any other ones? The list from European leaders is harder: Tony Blair maybe, but I'm mostly too out of touch for a comprehensive list.

I'm getting old.
Chrétien sophisticated?!?!?

Also, I’d put Hillary on your short list. (Having said that, I realized you were listing elected leaders only so that’s probably why you left her off the list.)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Chrétien sophisticated?!?
Surprisingly, despite his humble origins.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I figured we were discussing absolute sophistication, not relative sophistication weighted by uncouthness of origins

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Chrétien sophisticated?!?!?

Also, I’d put Hillary on your short list. (Having said that, I realized you were listing elected leaders only so that’s probably why you left her off the list.)
This where I'd actually disagree with you.

Hillary is not 'in-touch' with the Average Joe of her country, but could be a sophisticated leader.

Bill was far more close to that mark of being 'in-touch' and 'sophisticated leader' at the same time. Barack Obama was the most clear example in more recent times for the United States.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:51 PM

That’s why I was disagreeing with most of your list The way I followed the conversation, the two characteristics we’re discussing is 1) intellectual and 2) out of touch with common folk. As Acajack said, the latter isn’t rare (Trudeau, Trump, etc.) but the former nowadays is less common than it used to.

In other words, Hillary is an example of Macron-like.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
That’s why I was disagreeing with most of your list The way I followed the conversation, the two characteristics we’re discussing is 1) intellectual and 2) out of touch with common folk. As Acajack said, the latter isn’t rare (Trudeau, Trump, etc.) but the former nowadays is less common than it used to.

In other words, Hillary is another example of Macron-like.
Heh. I suppose I was unclear on that one.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I feel the same way as Lio.

Unless people believe that the little guy (petit gars de) from Shawinigan was all an act.

It was probably partly an act, and partly real.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
It was probably partly an act, and partly real.
Which would seem to agree with my assessment, no?

If one can know how to balance the 'in-touch' appearance with Average Joe with the 'intellectual' aspect of being a statesman-like world leader, that's a rare bird.

Western European leaders strike me as more the 'intellectual' side, much less worried about the Average Joe of their country. However, I am not a local and can't truly say. Do they put on a 'face' that their countrymen only see? Probably.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
I agree: Parizeau was very 'common man'. To the point of the filter that would have saved other politicians' skins was missing at key moments.

It was both his greatest asset and greatest flaw.

I do kind of want lobster for dinner now.

Edit: At least he had the good sense to keep his mouth mostly shut after he promised to leave politics.
I would have said the epitome of "U" rather than "common man". His anglophilia left a strange impression.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 9:25 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

I'm dying

Yes I voted Libs/Trudeau in 2015, but voted for NDP most recent election. Like most politicians Trudeau failed to follow through on many policies promised.
It's not uncommon in my region to alternate between those parties and some, in my political ideology cohort, even have voted Conservative in decades past, my father included (Provincially at least). Although like a Trump voter long removed he'll never publicly admit to that )

Thanks for the hypothetical assessments. You both made me chuckle.

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 3, 2022 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 9:28 PM

With this likely Legault's last election who in the CAQ caucus would likely be his heir apparent ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada