HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 4:47 AM

13'888 with two maxed out. For #1 I wasn't even in the right province and #5 glitched showing #4 again so I put the pin the same spot.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 2:20 PM

That was very hard. I am proud of my (educated) guess for #1 and I was lucky I sort of recognized the area for #3. Thanks for organizing!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 3:42 PM

#5 was glitched so got 0 for that

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 10:35 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A big thank you to everyone who entered our first challenge! Here are the final scores as of the time of this post:

Congratulations to Robert the Great, who managed to outscore me by actually placing a marker on that bugged 5th round, instead of just staring in confusion like I did. Well played!

If you'd like to change your GeoGuessr display name you can do so by editing your profile.

Stop by tomorrow evening for our first Funday Monday challenge (I suggest you brush up on your GTA street names!).

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:22 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Welcome to our first Funday Monday challenge! Today I have two challenges for you on the same map.

The map we'll be playing on is Greater Toronto Area (High Population Density). Having tested things out I can confirm that "High Population Density" in this case means you're unlikely to start on a rural road with nothing around, which is something that happens quite frequently on a lot of other GTA GeoGuessr maps. So expect to get dropped in a developed area of Toronto or the 905.

The first challenge doesn't have any time or movement restrictions - play at your own pace and move around as much as you want to pinpoint your starting locations. Link: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/CJn7zJ6LfTLTIBIh

The second challenge has no time limit but you're not allowed to move from your starting location - this one should produce some interesting results! Link: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/uRkjqzTtI9C3eaNh

Oh, one more thing. We had a few people in the first challenge who played but didn't have their scores show up on the scoreboard. After you submit your guess on Round 5, make sure you click "View Summary" to conclude your session before closing out of the window. This should ensure that your final score is properly submitted.

Good luck everyone!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:48 PM
ハルウララ

Bleh, GTA suburbs are the worst.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Welcome to our first Funday Monday challenge! Today I have two challenges for you on the same map.

The map we'll be playing on is Greater Toronto Area (High Population Density). Having tested things out I can confirm that "High Population Density" in this case means you're unlikely to start on a rural road with nothing around, which is something that happens quite frequently on a lot of other GTA GeoGuessr maps. So expect to get dropped in a developed area of Toronto or the 905.

The first challenge doesn't have any time or movement restrictions - play at your own pace and move around as much as you want to pinpoint your starting locations. Link: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/CJn7zJ6LfTLTIBIh

The second challenge has no time limit but you're not allowed to move from your starting location - this one should produce some interesting results! Link: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/uRkjqzTtI9C3eaNh

Oh, one more thing. We had a few people in the first challenge who played but didn't have their scores show up on the scoreboard. After you submit your guess on Round 5, make sure you click "View Summary" to conclude your session before closing out of the window. This should ensure that your final score is properly submitted.

Good luck everyone!
24435 points on the first one. Molson will love the fact that one of them is near a Smart Centre

6362 on the second one where you can't move around.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 11:15 PM

I understand the idea of having themes, but an all-GTA round sounds a bit unfair to me since the whole thing is being sold as a contest. People living in or around Toronto will have a clear advantage here compared to occasional visitors, or worse, people who have never visited the city. I am pretty sure I am going to do pretty badly if I were to try this. I will probably still give it a shot.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:41 AM

You definitely have to have some knowledge of Toronto. Just knowing the approximate age and built form of each of the cities of the GTA helped me a ton and allowed me to make some surprisingly close guesses. Let's do one with some local landmark-ish spots from across Canada. Nothing too obvious of course....

9056 and 11550 for me on these two

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:40 AM

Well that sucked. But then I really have no knowledge of Toronto, although I've visited there fairly often in the last 5 years.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:59 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I understand the idea of having themes, but an all-GTA round sounds a bit unfair to me since the whole thing is being sold as a contest. People living in or around Toronto will have a clear advantage here compared to occasional visitors, or worse, people who have never visited the city.
You're right that locals are going to have an advantage on city/region specific maps. Keep in mind though that these Monday challenges aren't going to be included in the league leaderboard - which IMO gives us the leeway to try maps like these. You'll notice that the maps I've selected for the competitive pool are not tied to a particular region:

My main reason for picking this map today wasn't actually to feature the GTA or give Torontonians a leg up - it was fulfilling somebody's request for a no-move suburban challenge, and unfortunately I couldn't find any Canada-wide suburban maps to use. I'm sorry if this takes the fun out of it for some. I remain open to requests for future Monday challenges.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:43 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

P.S: Did someone mention Smart Centres? Here's a bonus late night challenge on the map Every SmartCentre in Canada, which I put together this evening based on this list of locations. Some of these may not look like your typical Smart Centre (most, however, do), but all of them are owned and managed by our good friends at SmartREIT.

No time limit, moving allowed: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/MvuTr3xty4Px41Ja

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You're right that locals are going to have an advantage on city/region specific maps. Keep in mind though that these Monday challenges aren't going to be included in the league leaderboard - which IMO gives us the leeway to try maps like these. You'll notice that the maps I've selected for the competitive pool are not tied to a particular region:
Ok I didn’t realize that. In this case I’ve got no issue .

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
P.S: Did someone mention Smart Centres? Here's a bonus late night challenge on the map Every SmartCentre in Canada, which I put together this evening based on this list of locations. Some of these may not look like your typical Smart Centre (most, however, do), but all of them are owned and managed by our good friends at SmartREIT.

No time limit, moving allowed: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/MvuTr3xty4Px41Ja
22961. God those are depressing views. The 1st one may set off one of our long time posters based on where it is located.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:45 PM

19971. And now I have suicidal ideation.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:48 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Our first Mid-Week Friendly us upon us! This is a chance to preview and practice the map we'll be playing on for the ranked league competition this weekend.

This week's map is Canada (Updated coverage), created by Mapper, who also made A Diverse World, arguably the most popular map on GeoGuessr. From the description: "2400 hand-picked locations evenly spread across all the country with landmark around for pinpointing (doesn't mean all locations are easy and fast to get!)"

The Wednesday challenges have no restrictions on movement or time limit, and results do not count toward the league leaderboard.

Challenge link: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/mv0uUQWrCk6AVUvZ

And here are the scores for the two Funday Monday challenges:

The Smart Centre bonus challenge will keep running all week, so that more of you can get in on the suffering.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 3:48 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Couldn't post this weekend's challenge last night because of the forum maintenance, so I'll extend the deadline for entry to the start of Funday Monday.

This is our first ranked competition of the season! It's on the same map as the previous challenge - Canada (Updated coverage).

Remember that there is a 5 minute time limit per location for this challenge. A good habit to get into is to place your marker in the general area you think you are early on in the round, and then work on pinpointing. That way you'll have something approximate placed in case time runs out. This is important because you don't get any points if you run out of time without placing a marker.

Challenge link: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/oi9IwSsPXiP6EJAC

Good luck everyone!

Finally, here are the results from Wednesday's Mid-Week Friendly, and the Smart Centre Bonus Challenge:

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 7:02 PM

22486 BO YAH!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 11:08 AM

LOL, I didn't realize the latest one wasn't stationary so made my guesses without panning around. Was off a LOT in a few.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 11:48 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Man…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada