HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Local jobs create vibrancy and opportunity. Workers need to travel less and will spend more locally.
My issue is the idea of moving jobs from one end of the city to the other. Gains for one area of the region at the detriment of another. is a zero-sum game. Might even be a loss (small businesses downtown could suffer from the loss of jobs in favour of a more car oriented location in the burbs).

There also the consideration of accessibility. Downtown is central. About equidistance for everyone. When jobs are moved to the outer-Greenbelt suburbs, then that's a far longer commute for those who live across town. DND Nortel is a great example of that, with a good portion of staff living in Orleans and Gatineau having a far longer commute. Families can't just pack up and leave if they already have roots in their current area.

If the Feds started an entirely new department, it's not quite as bad (as long as it's directly linked to the O-Train). If we're attracting a whole new company, then that's even better.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There also the consideration of accessibility. Downtown is central. About equidistance for everyone. When jobs are moved to the outer-Greenbelt suburbs, then that's a far longer commute for those who live across town. DND Nortel is a great example of that, with a good portion of staff living in Orleans and Gatineau having a far longer commute. Families can't just pack up and leave if they already have roots in their current area.
I'll speak up in defence of DND Nortel.

It wasn't done because of desire to move jobs. DND consolidated from ~40 locations in the NCR to about a dozen. Some jobs actually moved East (Star Top). Some consolidated in Gatineau (455 Blvd de la Carriere) and National Printing Bureau and some moved to the Moodie Campus.

My Gatineau commute ain't as good as my downtown commute used to be. But I'm also glad they built an actual base for once. Security and on base amenities at Pearkes were terrible. So was the fact that every service was all over Ottawa. Took half a day just to go to Supply to get some kit. Would have been great if the government could give them all of LeBreton Flats and a billion dollars to build a campus in the core. Since that wasn't possible, repurposing the Nortel campus was the right call.

Yeah, it sucks for public servants who lived in Orleans when some of the jobs in the core consolidated at Moodie. But this was the sensible choice over the long term. Military postings alone mean everybody in uniform from Orleans will be replaced by someone closer to their job in Kanata or Gatineau over 3-5 years. It'll take longer for public servants to turn over. But they will turn over in due course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If the Feds started an entirely new department, it's not quite as bad (as long as it's directly linked to the O-Train). If we're attracting a whole new company, then that's even better.
I get why Orleans wants this. But the feds are pretty much done with a lot of big moves. If anything there's a lot of office downsizing coming. I know my organization is actively canvassing about that and openly discussing if they can get away with less real estate.

Orleans best hope isn't a new federal department. It's co-working spaces for the feds. They aren't going to be getting much more.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Jun 10, 2021 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:23 AM

Quote:
I'll speak up in defence of DND Nortel.

It wasn't done because of desire to move jobs. DND consolidated from ~40 locations in the NCR to about a dozen. Some jobs actually moved East (Star Top). Some consolidated in Gatineau (455 Blvd de la Carriere) and National Printing Bureau and some moved to the Moodie Campus.

My Gatineau commute ain't as good as my downtown commute used to be. But I'm also glad they built an actual base for once. Security and on base amenities at Pearkes were terrible. So was the fact that every service was all over Ottawa. Took half a day just to go to Supply to get some kit. Would have been great if the government could give them all of LeBreton Flats and a billion dollars to build a campus in the core. Since that wasn't possible, repurposing the Nortel campus was the right call.

Yeah, it sucks for public servants who lived in Orleans when some of the jobs in the core consolidated at Moodie. But this was the sensible choice over the long term. Military postings alone mean everybody in uniform from Orleans will be replaced by someone closer to their job in Kanata or Gatineau over 3-5 years. It'll take longer for public servants to turn over. But they will turn over in due course.
In the case of DND Nortel, I agree it was the right move when looking at the full picture. Consolidating those 40+ offices into a few buildings is far more efficient and increases overall security. Adapting an existing office complex is the most sustainable solution. Its isolated location is well suited for DND's needs. Having a high-security complex downtown, like the Pearkes, makes for a terrible presence in the core.

The longer commute argument in this particular case is not enough to discard it as a good location. For one, it's on the western edge of the urban west end, and not on the far end of a suburban community. Transitway/O-Train service makes it relatively accessible, as long as we provide good last mile options (bus shuttles, bike lanes and walking paths).

RCMP in Barrhaven might have been a better example of a bad move. Poor car access AND nowhere near rapid transit.

Quote:
I get why Orleans wants this. But the feds are pretty much done with a lot of big moves. If anything there's a lot of office downsizing coming. I know my organization is actively canvassing about that and openly discussing if they can get away with less real estate.

Orleans best hope isn't a new federal department. It's co-working spaces for the feds. They aren't going to be getting much more.
I wonder what may happen with the Tremblay at St. Laurent project. That is a decent location with rapid transit access and still relatively centrally located. The Feds had several other projects on the books like an research office tower behind Terrace in Hull. Zibi is ready to build another office block best suited for the Feds (on top of the one u/c). Those in Hull could still be useful as swing space.

I'm completely on board with co-working spaces in the suburban centres of Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans. Give employees the option of working in the office near home without having to commute to THE office all the time, and without having to work from home, which is not always well adapted (distractions, lack of space, tougher to disconnect)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 11:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Proposed Orléans sports dome shouldn't go ahead, councillor says
Despite some opposition, school board says the project has community support

Darren Major · CBC News
Posted: Jun 30, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

An Ottawa city councillor says the plan to build an inflatable sports dome at an Orléans high school should not go ahead, despite a new report from city staff giving the project the green light.

The French-Catholic school board, Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est (CECCE), is aiming to build the all-season sports dome at École secondaire catholique Garneau, which was first proposed back in May 2019.

Some residents and the local community association have cried foul over the project, arguing that such a large dome shouldn't be built so close to residential buildings.

Coun. Laura Dudas, who represents Innes ward where the school is located, is echoing residents' concerns, arguing that the dome shouldn't be built so close to people's homes.

In her comments in the staff report, Dudas called the dome "an amorphous blob."

"To have a dome of this size placed down within an established existing community, it doesn't fit," she told CBC. "It is literally in people's back yards."

The dome would be about 18 metres high, slightly lower than the 23 metres that was initially proposed.

Despite some critical feedback from residents, a new report from city staff says the project can go ahead and that efforts are being made to address the concerns that the dome will be an eyesore in the largely residential community.

"The overall site design includes substantial tree planting around the perimeter of the sports field to frame the site and reduce the visibility of the dome," the report reads.

But Dudas said the trees won't be sufficient to hide the dome and called the effort "putting lipstick on a pig."

"No matter how tall the tree is that we could put in front of it, how many berms are in place, it will not be able to hide from the adjacent residences," she said.

The school board's director of education Marc Bertrand said the project has its supporters as well. According to Bertrand, 1,200 people signed on to support the project.

The report will be presented to the city's planning committee next week for approval. Bertrand said he is hoping the councillors will consider the benefit the dome could bring to the community.

"I'm hoping city council will consider this as a whole with respect to the needs and wishes of the community because there is some opposition but there is also overwhelming support for the project," Bertrand said.

Dudas, who sits on the committee, is calling on her fellow councillors to reject the plan.

"Just because the project is allowed to go ahead, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do and I'm hoping that my colleagues see that as well."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...udas-1.6084754

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 1:01 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Planning committee approves school sports dome despite community outrage
City planning staff believe the sports dome is appropriate, complies with zoning and should be considered "good planning." The committee agreed with a vote of 7-2.

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jul 08, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

The French Catholic school board’s plan to build a permanent sports dome at Garneau high school is angering neighbours who on Thursday complained to city councillors about the incoming “monstrosity.”

Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est needs to revise the 2004 site plan agreement for the school property to allow the dome at 6588 Carrière St. The dome would allow a variety of sports on artificial turf fields and hard-court surfaces. The school board is positioning the project as a sports “hub” for Orléans.

City planning staff believe the sports dome is appropriate, complies with zoning and should be considered “good planning.”

The committee agreed with a vote of 7-2 after some members agonized over the decision.

Innes Coun. Laura Dudas has strongly criticized the school board’s plan, echoing the gripes she’s been hearing from her constituents that an 18-metre-high dome would overwhelm the neighbourhood and be located too close to homes.

Amanda Lannan has helped lead an opposition campaign against the dome project. Nearby residents fear their property values will drop and fall under shadows created by the dome, she said.

“We’re not against domes,” Lannan told councillors. “We’re against domes near homes.”

Ted Gruszecki, vice-president of the Chateauneuf Community Association, said he couldn’t find an example anywhere in Ontario where a sports dome is built within the proximity to homes that the school board is proposing at Garneau school.

Neighbours said they also worry about noise of the ventilation system and from the sports happening inside — from a referee’s whistle to the smack of a pickleball.

Steven Lalonde, who lives across the street from the school, said he fears the prospect of noise coming from the dome, since those kinds of facilities often operate late into the evening.

Mark Connolly showed pictures illustrating his belief of how a big, puffy white dome will sully the vista to the school from his backyard on Gaultois Avenue. “It’s always going to be there,” he said.

On the other hand, the project received significant backing from the school community, especially with the Garneau school having a new sports-study program for students.

Robert Rainboth, a French Catholic school board trustee for the area, defended the dome plan against the harsh criticisms, promoting the potential for the facility to have multiple sports happening at once.

“I love everything this brings to the community,” Rainboth said.

Johanne Lacombe, chair of the school board, said improving the sports facilities at Garneau is key to reversing a declining enrolment and losing students to the English-language schools. Lacombe said the school board has listened to the community by changing the location of the dome on the Garneau site and reducing the size.

The school board’s director of education, Marc Bertrand, said the board will work with a private partner to operate the dome, but the board will retain ownership. The board will also monitor who’s booking the facility outside of school hours to make sure francophone groups are getting access, he said.

More than 30 trees will be planted to help mitigate the views to the dome and the outdoor field lights will be removed, reducing light pollution, Bertrand said.

Pressed by Dudas to explain why the school board wants an air-supported dome rather than a real building, Bertrand noted the cost difference and the board’s ability to remove the dome if needed in the future.

The committee also heard from reps of various sports groups, including tennis, volleyball and football clubs, backing the school board’s plan to create a major indoor sports facility.

Planning committee decisions on site plans don’t rise to council for ratification, but they can be appealed to the Ontario Land Tribunal.

Supporting the school board’s revised site plan were councillors Jenna Sudds, Tim Tierney, Jeff Leiper, Jean Cloutier, Catherine Kitts, Scott Moffatt and Allan Hubley.

Dudas and Glen Gower voted in opposition.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...munity-outrage

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:32 AM

^ So ridiculous. Some people really will complain about anything.

Lol at the folks on Gaultois complaining about how their vista of the beautiful 4-lane arterial road behind their homes will be sullied by a dome.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:08 PM

The Beltown Dome near Britannia (not a bug but a feature)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 8:05 PM

Dymon Storage sign has appeared at the corner of Innes and Trim.

Interesting mix of suburban uses on that corner, with a future Dymon and Trim City Yards on one corner, Starbucks (with a door to the street) and surface parking for a standard strip mall with Sobeys and other retaurants/retailers on another, a new 6 storey retirement residence, and a gas station.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 2:48 PM

How infill is received in the suburbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rB_uq09v0

Start at 1:42:00 of last nights meeting to see how a semi is viewed in Glencairn. Zoning allows it and they need something like 15 cm variance on lot width due to the way lot width is measured. No plans of what the buildings will look like which could have caused more issues or clarified things.

Some crazy new reasons to object.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

Start at 1:42:00 of last nights meeting to see how a semi is viewed in Glencairn. Zoning allows it and they need something like 15 cm variance on lot width due to the way lot width is measured. No plans of what the buildings will look like which could have caused more issues or clarified things.

Some people didn't even attempt to hide there blatant nimbyism. With one going so far as to suggest that instead of intensifying "their" neighborhood that new development should be relegated to existing multi unit neighborhoods.

And I'm sure that person is part of the community association, which some deem as entities that are democratic and sold be listened to above the rest.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

Wow, that is quite a watch. I particularly enjoyed the arguments about traffic on a dead-end court with 10 houses. Heaven forbid that a semi be allowed where a single family home is - that could mean as many as two more cars on the street! She literally went from that to arguing that if they build more semis, she will lose access to her front yard due to the traffic. On her court.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Some people didn't even attempt to hide there blatant nimbyism. With one going so far as to suggest that instead of intensifying "their" neighborhood that new development should be relegated to existing multi unit neighborhoods.

And I'm sure that person is part of the community association, which some deem as entities that are democratic and sold be listened to above the rest.
I knew you would enjoy this video..right up your alley

I'm actually quite surprised they didn't have to have architectural drawings filed as I thought when variances are required then architectural drawings are also required..not just a survey plan.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 12:57 PM

We took a drive to Louis-Riel to take a look at their dome. What a monstrosity that is. The fan's pretty loud, the whole thing is dirty, patches everywhere. A few days later, we went to Garneau. I can better understand now why people oppose it.

That said, during the debate on July 8th, Moffatt asked why the dome wasn't proposed over the baseball fields instead, east of Garneau. Apparently, that was the original location, but the school moved the proposal to over the football field in response to the opposition. Talk about locals shooting themselves in the foot. The baseball fields have a excellent buffer on all sides, with the school, MIFO, a generous amount of trees and a park. Far fewer homes would have a direct site line. Furthermore, had the community lost the two baseball diamonds, they have a third across the street. Now they are losing a football field and track (yes, they will move in the dome, but it's not accessible by anyone at anytime, nor will it be free).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:26 PM

One of the future schools on Cope Drive in Stittsville has submitted an application: https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0120/details

The school at Robert Grant Ave & Cope Dr is under construction and there are Ontario signs (like when they are investing in a highway resurfacing) for the schools at Shinny Ave & Cope Dr, and Rouncey Dr & Cope Dr. so maybe those will be coming soon too?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:35 PM

I saw new, large sign up for Commercial leasing opportunities with Urbandale at the intersection of Limebank and Leitrim.

After doing some digging, I found this new retail plaza now leasing which is proposed at the corner of Limebank and Earl Armstrong.

This is the first that I am hearing of it, and there is no construction or signs up at this site.

I could definitely see a McDonald's/Tims/Starbucks (something with coffee) do well here as the area definitely lacks that.

This is different than the proposal on the opposite side of the street which was to have a Food Basics that has been dormant for many years.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 11:04 AM

This was somewhat of a welcome surprise

Ford to open 531,000-square-foot distribution centre in Casselman

https://obj.ca/article/regional/ford...ntre-casselman

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:48 AM

Tenth Line, the stretch between Innes and St. Joseph. Replacing a older building (multi family I believe) that pre-dates the suburbanization. 30 units.

This is near my place. I was shocked to see the proposal since nothing new gets built in the area. With a strip mall with Metro, Ray Friel and the Cumberland Library across the street, it's actually a good spot to develop. Hoping to see more of this, which could eventually bring improvements to Tenth Line, like proper sidewalks and bike lanes.

DevApps: https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...sltprbdITeBxRM

Google Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...!4d-75.4940304

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 3:50 PM

Looks like they first started posted July 2018. I'm not sure why I have never seen or heard of this Instagram user before???

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 5:04 PM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

706 March Rd [Metro Grocery Store] | 8m | 1f | proposed

Metro is planning to redevelop the lot at 706 March Road with a large format retail food store facing March Road, and two commercial out-parcel buildings.

On the southern portion of the property, a large format Metro grocery store is proposed. North of the east-west drive aisle is a multi-tenant commercial building framing Shirley’s Brook Drive. A small drive-through facility faces a second internal drive aisle which connects the east-west drive aisle to Shirley’s Brook Drive.

Architect: RLA Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0190/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added renderings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs