HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:15 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Greenville, SC: Who's Gonna Save My Soul?

My boyfriend and I decided to get out of town for a couple of days, and the nearest best option was Greenville. I used to date a man who lived there, and I myself even lived there briefly. My overall impression is that Greenville would be a delightful place to live were it not for its neanderthal politics and a history of gruesome injustice, and beyond that the less said the better because it's likely to degenerate into an argument.

So on that note, just enjoy the pics.

Video Link

Here's the Greenville Zoo.

There was a toucan near this bird, which caused my boyfriend to relate an amusing story about having been bitten by a toucan once when he still lived in Ecuador.

We stopped here to buy sodas imported from the Dominican Republic. For all its faults, Greenville is undeniably an international city. Rarely will you go out in public in Greenville and not hear at least three different languages being spoken.

Yes, that is in fact a mouse wearing a tricorner hat.

Greenville made its fortune with textiles. This is the shell of a mill standing by the Reedy River, now used as an event venue. Elsewhere along the river there are ruins of other mills.

Greenville is one of the very few cities in the nation, if not the world, to have an actual waterfall right in the middle of downtown.

Because every city needs a drooling warthog.

Note the bathtub.

I take a dim view of the Confederacy because I really just can't work myself up about the glory of a war fought to preserve rich people's right to hold human beings in bondage. Also, I come from the last state to secede, and which only did so because it was surrounded -- and which also ended up losing the most men to the conflict despite having the least reason to get involved in the first place. In my part of the state, in fact, atrocities were committed against us by the Confederate and Union soldiers alike. Thus, people in Western North Carolina have even less reason to give a shit about the Civil War than we might otherwise have.

Courage and integrity my fat, hairy ass.

I highly recommend the green glop. It was delicious.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Mar 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:27 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

This thread is pure awesome. I've always loved Greenville's tree canopy. Thank you!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:58 PM
furified freestyle

i remember thinking greenville was a pleasant town to pass through. maybe next time i'll even stop and check out the public art, which seems to be plentiful.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:20 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I bought a fishing license on the outskirts of town once, didn't realize downtown was that pleasant.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:50 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

A few comments:

First of all, I love Greenville, at least the heart of the city. Downtown and everywhere along and near the Reedy River is pure awesome! Great cafes, bars, shops, and pretty good people watching as well!

Secondly, I agree with you, let's ignore the neandrathal politics of the region. Any place that features Bob Jones University is not a place I'd like to discuss the politics of...

Thirdly, great photos!

And last but not least, mind if I steal this line of yours? "Because every city needs a drooling warthog." It's classic!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:41 PM

Love the waterfalls. Check Spokane's out. They're out. Of. This. World.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistayu...n/photostream/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:59 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I've stopped in Greenville several times on my annual treks south. It's been fun to see the changes which have turned the downtown area into an attractive gem with art (as noted by gio), renovations of old buildings, wonderful new construction, and an impressive array of talls for a city its size. Good stuff hh, thanks for sharing your trip.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:40 AM

Great thread.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:02 AM

Nice! Greenville is a great town, off the radar which makes it surprising to visit. Impressive night life on weekends, some streets are even closed off to accommodate pedestrians.

Thanks for the tour!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:24 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wonderful city.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Thanks for taking the time to look around and leave your comments, everyone. Thank you even more for not pointing out those two typos above the picture of the Caribbean market. I was mortified to see that this morning after this thread had been up a full day already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
And last but not least, mind if I steal this line of yours? "Because every city needs a drooling warthog." It's classic!
Use this line with my blessing. With effort we may be able to make it into an internet meme.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:00 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Not at all what I was expecting...I've never been to Greenville, but I'll have to check it out one day. Nice set!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos