HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 6:09 PM

Not sure what is going in, but I noticed they created a new storefront in the Gallery near the 9th Street entrance to Century 21. It was formerly just a big blank wall with a sign letting you know that the Walgreen's entrance is on Market Street. The Walgreen's sign is still there but next to it is a door and windows that didn't exist before. There are black bags over the doors and windows currently.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:03 AM

Any new news on the Curtis Center redevelopment?

http://www.philly.com/philly/classif...on_Square.html

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:23 PM
BANNED

They are making significant progress on the parking structure at the Dalian. Went past there yesterday. I assume much of the parking stucture wont actually be visible in the final design because you really dont notice it in the renderings. You can clearly see those cranes from the train coming south on the Reading side.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:14 PM

Nice piece on the hotels coming to Philly over the next several years:

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/...content=Social

I knew about most of these. I didn't know about Roost or Aloft. Those will be great.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post

I knew about most of these. I didn't know about Roost or Aloft. Those will be great.
Ive been hearing about this broad and arch hotel for a while, but nothing ever seems to happen. It's really mind boggling considering the location and they fact they got approval for a state historic tax credit last year. I haven't heard much about the family court conversion project in months. I did see work going on to a building in the 1900 block of chestnut but I wasn't sure what was going on- I guess this is my answer. Let's hope we see actual work start on W, Kimpton on Logan circle and Aloft sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Ive been hearing about this broad and arch hotel for a while, but nothing ever seems to happen. It's really mind boggling considering the location and they fact they got approval for a state historic tax credit last year. I haven't heard much about the family court conversion project in months. I did see work going on to a building in the 1900 block of chestnut but I wasn't sure what was going on- I guess this is my answer. Let's hope we see actual work start on W, Kimpton on Logan circle and Aloft sooner rather than later.
The Kimpton on Logan Circle needs to happen, terrific spot, and will be a beautiful hotel in that old classic. Along with the Mormon Temple/complex and the partial capping of the Expressway near by, and all the events planned in Philly in the near future -- you'd think Kimpton couldn't wait to get in there and fix things up. Article says will open in 2018, so I guess they aren't in a rush ...?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Agree. And AKA better step up their game. Roost looks far superior to me. I wonder what pricing will be.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
For those that know the string of empty lots or recently demolished lots near the 46th Street Station, the first building is finally going up. The master plan is 24 apartments, and this part of the city has looked like a leftover prop from a WWII movies for quite a while.

Insert in this image is from this morning:

Holy cow. So I left the country on Feb 28, and the pit from the above picture was almost exactly the same, except rebar was in place and they were ready for the first pour. I come back on Mar 14, and suddenly the rowhouses are already in place.

It's a prefab structure, obviously. WestPhillyLocal talks about it here.

Crazy to disappear for two weeks, and come back to such a dramatic difference. Also, in that same 2 week stretch, the old convenience store at 46 and Walnut was razed (diagonally across the street from this project). They are talking about putting in 40 apartments, aimed at students.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:39 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Took this pic last Sunday but forgot to post it. Some kind of new construction on 11th Street between Pearl and Wood

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Took this pic last Sunday but forgot to post it. Some kind of new construction on 11th Street between Pearl and Wood

Crazy that they built right there. It gives so much hope that that little corridor just north of vine...but, I think its time to remove those billboards. haha

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:24 PM

1900 Arch addition:

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

UC from 20th and Arch:

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 11:21 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post

Not only didn't I know about Roost, I didn't know it would be the city's second -- there's already one in the Packard Building!

The Aloft would be in 101 N. Broad, half a block away from Le Méridien. That's the Realen hotel site. If they've inked a deal then ... great! But I'll believe it when I see it.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:32 PM

Inga likes Penn's plans for its Pennovation Works:

Changing Skyline: Co-working space that's funkier, cheaper

http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20...__cheaper.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Inga likes Penn's plans for its Pennovation Works:

Changing Skyline: Co-working space that's funkier, cheaper

http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20...__cheaper.html
You know... if this little area takes off, we are going to have an "innovation district" in all corners...University City, Greys Ferry, Navy Yard, Riverwards "Nerd street", Temple's growth...one amazing piece of stimulus for Philly's growth residentially, economically, and innovation-wise will be make easier connections between all these districts - something that will allow transit between all of them to go faster without having to first go to city hall to connect to the next line out.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 4:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
You know... if this little area takes off, we are going to have an "innovation district" in all corners...University City, Greys Ferry, Navy Yard, Riverwards "Nerd street", Temple's growth...one amazing piece of stimulus for Philly's growth residentially, economically, and innovation-wise will be make easier connections between all these districts - something that will allow transit between all of them to go faster without having to first go to city hall to connect to the next line out.
Maybe, the fed's TechHire Initiative (we are one of the 20 cities target by the feds) will help us take off in this area and create a need for more "innovation" space. There $100 million dollar grant up for grabs.

The program, called TechHire, will bring together city leaders and employers to address the need for more software developers, cybersecurity experts and information technology engineers.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ning/24633077/

Last edited by iheartphilly; Mar 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM. Reason: clarify content.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 7:39 AM

Wawa on the center city bandwagon a decade late. They let 7-11 set-up dozens of stores in the city over the last few years.

Wawa to open at Broad and Walnut Streets

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...t-Streets.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 8:00 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
Wawa on the center city bandwagon a decade late. They let 7-11 set-up dozens of stores in the city over the last few years.

Wawa to open at Broad and Walnut Streets

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...t-Streets.html

Now one up by the Temple campus please?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Mar 23, 2015 at 8:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:18 AM

4400 Block of Chestnut - New 5 floor residential development
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2015/03/23/mosque.php

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:59 PM

How come Philly never built subway stops from city hall to 30th in the early 1900s when the city's population was booming? I mean... how could they not have planned that an entire mile stretch would be important to have stops? I know it wasn't built up in west center city, but there was no forethought to predict that? We aren't talking early 1800s or anything... its technically the age of the modern society we live in today!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
How come Philly never built subway stops from city hall to 30th in the early 1900s when the city's population was booming? I mean... how could they not have planned that an entire mile stretch would be important to have stops? I know it wasn't built up in west center city, but there was no forethought to predict that? We aren't talking early 1800s or anything... its technically the age of the modern society we live in today!
I've always thought the opposite way - why are there so many stops between City Hall and 2nd street? The distance between 30th and City Hall is probably pretty close to the median stop for the MTA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development