HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
So if all goes smoothly this week at council then the shovel will be in the ground this summer.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Great to finally see those released! Is it not superb!

This is not exactly a government project. It is being done with private money and no government money. From what I understood at the meeting last week is that they were waiting for the agreement that was signed today. And the only other hurdle is HRM By Design. So if all goes smoothly this week at council then the shovel will be in the ground this summer.
Ok i am a bit lost here on how you come to the above.

Council is holding the first public meeting on HRM by design tomorrow. This is to span a few weeks. Then once that is complete council will debate the plan. While this goes on no new developments can be approved under the municpal act.

Furthermore, once HRM is approved by council i believe it still needs to be read in the house, from which it looks like will be the fall.

This development still is required to go through the development agreement process or HRM by Design process.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:10 PM

F**kin' eh! That's amazing! I love it!

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Ok i am a bit lost here on how you come to the above.

Council is holding the first public meeting on HRM by design tomorrow. This is to span a few weeks. Then once that is complete council will debate the plan. While this goes on no new developments can be approved under the municpal act.

Furthermore, once HRM is approved by council i believe it still needs to be read in the house, from which it looks like will be the fall.

This development still is required to go through the development agreement process or HRM by Design process.
Not exactly. This week is the public hearing for HRM By Design. So like any development application. It will be read at council tuesday night. The public will have their opportunity to give input. And Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings have been set aside for this public hearing. Once everyone in the public has had their say council will debate and then a vote will be cast. If it is approved then there is a required period that anyone may appeal under the grounds that the public hearing was conducted in an unlawful way. I believe the period is 14 days now, but I am not 100% sure. Once that period is over HRM By Design is officially passed and will become law.

And no, this development does not have to go through the regular development approval process as the final draft of HRM By Design has been amended to allow this development under the new rules. So once HRM By Design is passed this development will be as of right.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:23 PM

Also here is the article from the Herald that accompanies the magnificent renderings posted by steve61. It does say something about waiting until the fall, but I'm not sure they have that correct as there is no need for a formal construction proposal to my knowledge.

Details of new downtown complex unveiled

By STEVE PROCTOR Business Editor
Mon. May 4 - 12:15 PM

A view of proposed new Nova Centre from Argyle and Prince Streets. (Contributed)

A design of the proposed new Nova Centre, looking north from Sackville Street to Grafton Street. (Contributed)

A new $300-million convention centre and financial complex should be open in downtown Halifax within four years.

Rank Incorporated revealed plans for the project at a press conference Monday morning. The mixed-use property, located on the former Halifax Herald lands, has been in the works since February when the Ramia family-owned company was selected as the builder of choice for a new 50,000-square-foot convention centre at the heart of the project.

Occupying two city blocks, Nova Centre will consist of the convention centre, a hotel, a financial centre and retail and residential components. It will have 600 parking spaces and on total of 1.6 million feet of new construction.

It will be the single, largest construction in downtown Halifax in decades.

As part of the announcement, the province and the city signed a deal to work towards the construction of the convention centre.

"Conventions and major events have been an economic driver, creating jobs all over the province," Premier Rodney MacDonald said at the signing.

"Many provinces, including British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick, have expanded their convention centres or are building new ones. Nova Scotia needs to stay competitive, to bring the conventions here, and to keep the jobs and benefits in this province.”

It is expected Rank Group will submit a formal construction proposal soon that will be submitted to both governments for a decision by the fall.

A recent study conducted by the firm Criterion found that between June 1, 2007 and February 28, 2009, at least 60 international conferences decided not to come to Nova Scotia because the 25-year-old facilities at Halifax's World Trade and Convention Centre were deemed insufficient. This represented a loss of 45,855 delegates, 86,865 room nights and an estimated $65 million in overall economic impact.

"Halifax Regional Municipality is a proud partner with the province in leading this process to a successful conclusion," said Mayor Kelly said in a release. "By signing this memorandum of understanding, we are sending a clear message to our local businesses and to the world that we are open for business and will do what it takes to have a new convention centre built in Halifax. This project will help make our downtown and our municipality an even more attractive place to live, work and play."

The tourism industry is pleased as well.

"It will allow Nova Scotia to compete for lucrative events and conferences which will have a tremendous economic impact throughout the province. TIANS applauds the premier and mayor for making a clear commitment to investing in our province as a destination of choice," Darlene Grant Fiander, president of the Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia (TIANS), said.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
It does say something about waiting until the fall, but I'm not sure they have that correct as there is no need for a formal construction proposal to my knowledge.
There would be a formal process, be it current rules or HRM by Design process.

The only thing is HRM by design that was amended regarding this project was for it to be granted extra height if it had the convention centre attached. It didn't mean it doesn't have to go through the process of HRM by design, which will put it in front of the review panel etc.

Therefore the fall is the earliest i say we see something.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:05 PM
Salty Town

They can start ripping down the Herald building tomorrow. Wonder if they need any help?

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:30 PM

I love the look of it.

The only thing that could go very wrong is the arch over the road but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:37 PM

I found this on the HRM by Design website. Its the official site plan for the New WTCC site;

Appendix B - Proposed World Trade & Convention Centre site plan

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I found this on the HRM by Design website. Its the official site plan for the New WTCC site;

Appendix B - Proposed World Trade & Convention Centre site plan
Nice find. Also the roofs of both podium structures will be green roofs and accessible at least to some degree by building occupants and perhaps even the public.

On a side note, perhaps this thread should be moved to the main Downtown Projects section.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:

On a side note, perhaps this thread should be moved to the main Downtown Projects section.

Agreed

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Nice find. Also the roofs of both podium structures will be green roofs and accessible at least to some degree by building occupants and perhaps even the public.

Thats nice to hear

In addition to moving it we should probably rename it to the correct format;

Nova Centre | ?m | 18 & 14 Floors | Proposed

or something along those lines.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
There would be a formal process, be it current rules or HRM by Design process.

The only thing is HRM by design that was amended regarding this project was for it to be granted extra height if it had the convention centre attached. It didn't mean it doesn't have to go through the process of HRM by design, which will put it in front of the review panel etc.

Therefore the fall is the earliest i say we see something.
Are you certain of that? Mr. Ramia gave the distinct impression that passing HRM by Design would pass this development with it. We specifically asked him numerous times if it would have to go through another process and he kept telling us that it was linked to HRM by Design.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:31 PM

I was just reading a statement by Peter Kelly and according to him the shovels could be in the ground by early July.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Are you certain of that? Mr. Ramia gave the distinct impression that passing HRM by Design would pass this development with it. We specifically asked him numerous times if it would have to go through another process and he kept telling us that it was linked to HRM by Design.
My understanding, and i guess it requires a review of the amendment passed by council, is yes it required to go through the process.

Again thats my understanding, but the document will shed light.

Might be changes coming though, the government has fallen.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I was just reading a statement by Peter Kelly and according to him the shovels could be in the ground by early July.

Well the fact the opposition just forced a provincial election might screw that up.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I personally do not agree with the proposed heights for the development.

I rather see 8-9 stories, then down in areas like hollis, granville being 15-17.

Putting height so far up the hill throws the balance off in my opinion.
I agree it's a little too tall, I'd be more comfortable with buildings in the 12-13 storey range. The design is fairly underwhelming to me - they're mirrored glass towers with a bit of a bulge on one, and a square tower with some rounded corners. It steps up the hill really awkwardly.

That being said, it's MILES ahead of what I was expecting. Having the convention floor under Grafton is a good idea, and I like the concept of the ach over the street. I'm very happy there is going to be a residential component - downtown desperately needs people living there. Retail on all sides that aren't sloped is good, but the sides that are sloped are pretty awkard looking and appear to be dead zones. I'm hoping a lot of tweaking gets done because the result as currently shown (on the hills at least) would be similar to the Prince George or Cambridge Suites, which both deal with the hills pretty awkwardly. It has potential though.

Should be interesting at the least to watch this move forward.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 11:07 PM

Seems a shame that the Midtown proposal was shot down only to be replaced by something even more imposing and hulking. The design leaves me cold -- not awful, but not particularly good either.

And we have a HRM Councillor (Outhit) on another message board describing this as "an election promise" and ascribing partisan political motivations to the announcement today. Disappointing.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 11:27 PM

It's ok. Nothing spectacular. But better than it could have been. The best part of it is that they are maintaining the street grid. That awning looks a little iffy to me however. Why does it need those skinny columns? Surely you could span that distance without the added supports. Although I'm not really sold on the idea of the awning at all. Seems an unnecessary contrivance. Unless of course it were designed by Calatrava (who's made a career out of awnings and atriums)... then it would be an award winning and stunningly beautiful unnecessary contrivance :-)

Anyway... major points for not creating a super-block... for having retail... and for replacing the bombed out parking lot and it's hideous cousin... the Herald Building. Overall, a good project.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
That awning looks a little iffy to me however. Why does it need those skinny columns? Surely you could span that distance without the added supports. Although I'm not really sold on the idea of the awning at all. Seems an unnecessary contrivance. Unless of course it were designed by Calatrava (who's made a career out of awnings and atriums)... then it would be an award winning and stunningly beautiful unnecessary contrivance :-)
I don't know about you. But if I wanted to shop downtown in the middle of winter I would much rather do it on a covered street then on a wide opened poorly shoveled street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth