HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:07 AM

Has anyone heard anything more on the Marysville by-pass? Is it under construction yet?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 8:16 PM

Fredericton Records $119 Million in Development for 2007

January 15, 2008 - Figures released today show that 2007 marked the second strongest development year in Fredericton's history. A total of $119.6 million in residential, commercial, industrial, institutional and government construction was recorded in the city last year.

"Developers continue to be confident in Fredericton," said Coun. Mike O'Brien, chair of the City's Development Committee. "Looking back over the past five years, this community has averaged over $105 million a year in development. That is half a billion dollars of investment in this community, which is simply amazing."

The commercial sector led the way in 2007, with over $42.6 million in development. This is more than double the development in 2006, and resulted in the highest number ever on record. Key areas for commercial development were the Two Nations Crossing area, with building permits issued for new Kent and Canadian Tire stores, as well as the construction of stores in the Corbett Centre development on Knowledge Park Drive.

"These kinds of commercial projects continue to position Fredericton as the retail shopping hub for western New Brunswick," said Coun. O'Brien.

Despite the strong numbers, residential construction was down overall in the city. Total construction value still topped the $50 million mark, with $51.4 million worth of permits being recorded. This amount, however, was still the third highest in the Fredericton's history.

Fewer multiple units were built in 2007, but the construction of single family units remained strong. Residential growth is occurring in most areas of the city, with the Lincoln and Brookside Drive areas of the city experiencing the largest number of single family residences being built.

When it comes to industrial construction, Fredericton has enjoyed three strong years, with $1.84 million worth of activity being recorded in 2007. The value of government and institutional is down from last year's record-breaking number. At $12.8 million, 2007 marked the second best year on record for government and institutional construction activity in Fredericton.

The following summarizes total development figures for Fredericton over the past five-years: 2003 - $80.3 million; 2004 - $99.4 million; 2005 - $93.5 million; 2006 - $132.4 million; and, 2007 - $119.4 million. The five-year total is $525 million dollars in development.

Looking ahead to 2008, activity in the government and institutional sector is expected to be strong with construction set to begin on the South Side Sports and Leisure Complex and the downtown conference centre. Commercial activity is also expected to be strong.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 8:29 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxFamilyGuyxx View Post
Has anyone heard anything more on the Marysville by-pass? Is it under construction yet?
It's being held up by some land owners up around Taymouth, last I heard.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:14 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
It's being held up by some land owners up around Taymouth, last I heard.
Where is it supposed to go?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:37 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Along the east side of the Nashwaak River. It will eventually go all the way north to South Portage, which is up close to Boiestown.

Can't wait til all those trucks are off Bridge Street.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:57 PM

FYI

I noticed that a new Leon's store is under construction on Allison Blvd near the ramps to rte 7. Sign said it supposed to open in 2008

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Can't wait til all those trucks are off Bridge Street.
Yeah same here.

I thougt they had a leons in that area already..

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 10:13 PM
Nashwaaksissy

I noticed a building with a small Leon's sign in the Pepin Road area (in the Vanier Business Park or whatever it's called) last week, but I figured that was just a warehouse. Never noticed it before, don't know whether it was new or not. The Leon's website still says it's on Whiting Road just like it's been for years.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:22 PM

yeah it appeared as though they just recently broke ground for the new store.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:44 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

I guess we were wrong about the three-storey on Two Nations Crossing being the fire station...there's no truck bays on it, and it looks like they're just starting the fire station on the adjacent site.

Southview has a "30% sold" tag on their onsite sign, no equipment on the site yet.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:17 AM

They were supposed to build a firefighter training facility too on the corner of Two-Nations Crossing and Cliffe street but they havn't started yet..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing about that too. But they do have some steel up for one part of the project, and there's been machinery onsite for at least a month.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:02 PM

Oh do they? i din't know.I think they were supposed to start last summer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:06 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxFamilyGuyxx View Post
They were supposed to build a firefighter training facility too on the corner of Two-Nations Crossing and Cliffe street but they havn't started yet..
I can see the one in Moncton from my house. Pretty neat spot to watch in the summer. I expect anything they build in Freddy will be pre-cast concrete. They tend to just be hollow buildings and obviously can't be flammable.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:44 AM
Nashwaaksissy

So...anyone know *what* that 3-story building on Two Nations Crossing is? Sure looked like a fire station when the frame first went up....

(Speaking of 2NC, Cdn Tire and Mark's have broken ground next to Wal-Mart and have signs up...)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:05 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

My best guess would be that it's an office building of sorts.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:16 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Old trailers not wanted
Community upset | Decision to close park means residents have nowhere to go
By MICHAEL STAPLES
staples.michael@dailygleaner.com
Published Wednesday January 23rd, 2008
Appeared on page A1

Tammy Wallace is searching for a new home for her home.

Wallace is one 14 people who will have to move their mobile homes by the end of August from the O'Donnell Land Lease Community Park off Eatmon Avenue.

The owner has decided to close the park after decades of operation.

"Our biggest issue is that the trailers in here are so old that they may not even stand to be moved," she said. "There are no parks that will take us."

Wallace said her father, who is 64, has one of the 14 units in the park and it won't stand the stress of being moved. She said he, like a lot of others, have no place to go.

"That's our biggest issue -- where are we going to go?" Wallace said. "We have income issues and cannot afford to go buy land, have it moved and have a well and septic dug. We just don't know what to do."

Park owner Blanche O'Donnell, who is 88, said she wants to get out of the business.

"We have made up our minds that we can't run it any longer," she said. "We can't do it anymore."

Her son Greg O'Donnell, who also helps with the administration of the park, cited rising costs -- such as insurance, property taxes and water bills -- as also being factors in their decision to shut down.

Greg O'Donnell, who didn't reveal what plans he may have for the property, said they will do whatever they can to help tenants make the transition, including providing letters of reference.

But that's not good enough for Gary Clarke, who has been living at the park for the last 35 years.

"Six months is not a fair deal for 35 years of living here as a community," Clarke said.

"Why are we limited to six months? Why not give us, at least, some time until we can slowly move out -- one or two at a time."

A spokesperson for Justice and Consumer Affairs said under the Residential Tenancies Act, "The landlord is required to serve each tenant a six-month written notice to terminate all the tenancies for each tenant if the landlord will no longer rent the land as mobile home sites and operate a mobile home park. The reason for terminating the tenancy must be stated in the notice of termination."

Jennifer Peterson, another resident at the park, is also frustrated.

She and her boyfriend bought their home about eight months ago and were expecting to stay.

"It's going to be really hard for us because we just got here and just got settled in," she said.

Kelly Kelly of Kellys Homes in Fredericton said unless their homes were in extremely good condition, they would never let them move into their park.

"We go by overall appearance of the home," Kelly said.

Coun. Marilyn Kerton, who represents the area, said she was looking into the situation to see what can be done and would be checking at the municipal and provincial levels.

Because the homes are older models, they will be difficult to relocate, she said.

"It's sad, very, very sad," Kerton said.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:58 PM

It is kinda sad...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:37 AM

I think the building on Two Nations Crossing is provincial government offices, atleast thats what I heard in the paper a while back

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 8:56 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Some Regent Mall updates, since I'm there now:

Subway, Starbucks, Dynamite, RW & Co, and Sirens are all under construction, and they're doing something with the corner spot usually taken by Calendar Club (former LaSenza Girl spot...last permanent tenant anyway). La Cremiere and Time Well Spent have both closed...the latter may just be moving but I haven't seen them anywhere else yet. And rumour has it that Hardy's is closing up shop either when Subway comes in or their lease is expired.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces