HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:28 AM

327 Richmond Rd | 30m | 9f | Approved

I was browsing through Main and Main's website to see what work they have, and noticed something for the northeastern corner of Churchill and Richmond. However, it's in the "Past Projects" section.

Quote:
Ottawa
Assembled 30,150 square feet of land on the north east corner of Richmond Street + Churchill Avenue.
Proposal called for a 12 storey mixed-use building with 8,375 square feet of retail and a total projected density of 200,611 square feet.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:47 AM

Ugh... All these new ugly condos on Richmond are slowly destroying Westboro's character. What a shame.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Ugh... All these new ugly condos on Richmond are slowly destroying Westboro's character. What a shame.
As someone from the area, I have no problem with them. In light of how expensive the city and these neighbourhoods have gotten, we need more apartments and condos. Unless people want to have them on their residential streets (people definitely don't want them there), and considering there is a moratorium on 3-storey apartment buildings in Westboro, we're rather limited where these sorts of buildings can be placed. It's better when they're built on empty lots and restore retail and street-frontage continuity to the street. I would love to see the garage beside the above proposal developed with something. There are several buildings along the stretch that I think are much better than what was there before, and is improving the street. But I do concede that Main & Main's proposal for the corner is not appealing whatsoever.

I think the two buildings that are there now should be kept and renovated (I believe the brick building on the corner has a crumbling foundation on Churchill last I checked). I do think that there are several buildings on Wellington and Richmond that should be kept (even if they're not heritage). Yet, as the proposal I posted was on their "past projects" section, I imagine it might not be legitimate. They did have a building for Preston Street a while ago that was never officially proposed and is now missing from their website; so, who knows what this is about. This building is incredibly terrible in appearance and massing, that even I wouldn't support it. I think I could tolerate 6-7 storeys at this corner with a setback from Churchill and Richmond, to be honest.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:26 PM
National Capital Region

Trinity and Timbercreek purchased the property last year
https://obj.ca/article/trinity-timbe...folio-purchase

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:55 PM

Main+Main's proposal was an absolute atrocity. IMO, they are the worst developer in town. Worse than Claridge. Thankfully, it seems M+M have pulled out of Ottawa maybe?

This intersection is a signature area in Westboro, with character buildings from different eras at all four corners.

The City should do everything in its power to preserve the character of urban main streets line Bank, Wellington West and Richmond. In Westboro, heights along the street should be 2 to 4 floors tops. Exceptions at neighborhood gateways (as we've seen at Broadview and Island Park for Westboro).

On this particular site, I would want to see the red brick building and attached mid-century beige building preserved. The mechanic next door should be developed at 2 floors along Richmond and Winona, stepping up towards the north to no more than 4-5 floors.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
I was browsing through Main and Main's website to see what work they have, and noticed something for the northeastern corner of Churchill and Richmond. However, it's in the "Past Projects" section.

I hate when developers have great projects in Toronto but bring crap to Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I hate when developers have great projects in Toronto but bring crap to Ottawa.
So far, we've at least been lucky with Mizrahi, Urban Capital and Lamb. We'll have to reserve judgement on Mizrahi's project until it's complete, but so far he's set the bar high when it comes to engaging the public, and architectural design. And I know some people who have bought in to Urban Capital and Lamb projects have had issues, which could be an issue in TO too, we don't know, but their projects are good architecturally compared to other Ottawa developments.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
How so?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
How so?
If you can't see it for yourself, there's nothing we can do for you.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:24 PM

That project would be replacing a vacant lot. I fail to see how vacant lots and garages and such are better for the "character" than desperately needed new housing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
That project would be replacing a vacant lot. I fail to see how vacant lots and garages and such are better for the "character" than desperately needed new housing.
The project would replace a two story red brick building. The parking lot and garage next door would remain. The height of the building and lack of set-backs would also hurt the charterer of the area.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 4:19 PM
National Capital Region

Created a thread in case Trinity moves forward on this in the future

The Avenues Garage lot at 319 Richmond was also purchased as part of this assembly, so there should be more room to have better massing on this site.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...2017_Sales.pdf

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:33 PM

Thanks for creating a thread. Hoping Trinity comes up with a proposal that's respectful to the Westboro look and feel.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:52 PM
Busy Beaver

One thing I would love to see in Westboro is more buildings with a focus on doctors' clinics and possibly a lab. The one on Broadview is terrible to get to. With Amica on the west side of the village, the Seniors' centre in the old town hall, and the new seniors housing proposed behind the Superstore, this location would be great if the first few storeys were healthcare-oriented. There are also a lot of young families moving into the area in search of convenient medical services.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 6:50 PM

Price per square foots being much lower makes things more difficult - Toronto's extremely expensive real estate allows developers to do more interesting things. Not that it's impossible - just much tougher.

RioCan is doing some great stuff in Toronto too - but the stuff they are doing in Ottawa is pretty mediocre.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Main+Main's proposal was an absolute atrocity. IMO, they are the worst developer in town. Worse than Claridge. Thankfully, it seems M+M have pulled out of Ottawa maybe?

This intersection is a signature area in Westboro, with character buildings from different eras at all four corners.

The City should do everything in its power to preserve the character of urban main streets line Bank, Wellington West and Richmond. In Westboro, heights along the street should be 2 to 4 floors tops. Exceptions at neighborhood gateways (as we've seen at Broadview and Island Park for Westboro).

On this particular site, I would want to see the red brick building and attached mid-century beige building preserved. The mechanic next door should be developed at 2 floors along Richmond and Winona, stepping up towards the north to no more than 4-5 floors.
Spot on. That intersection is the heart of Westboro. Replacing any of the existing buildings there with a bland condo building would completely alter the character of the area. Indeed, it's the old mechanic's lot next door that could use some redevelopment if anything.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 9:13 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
As someone from the area, I have no problem with them. In light of how expensive the city and these neighbourhoods have gotten, we need more apartments and condos. Unless people want to have them on their residential streets (people definitely don't want them there), and considering there is a moratorium on 3-storey apartment buildings in Westboro, we're rather limited where these sorts of buildings can be placed. It's better when they're built on empty lots and restore retail and street-frontage continuity to the street. I would love to see the garage beside the above proposal developed with something. There are several buildings along the stretch that I think are much better than what was there before, and is improving the street. But I do concede that Main & Main's proposal for the corner is not appealing whatsoever.

I think the two buildings that are there now should be kept and renovated (I believe the brick building on the corner has a crumbling foundation on Churchill last I checked). I do think that there are several buildings on Wellington and Richmond that should be kept (even if they're not heritage). Yet, as the proposal I posted was on their "past projects" section, I imagine it might not be legitimate. They did have a building for Preston Street a while ago that was never officially proposed and is now missing from their website; so, who knows what this is about. This building is incredibly terrible in appearance and massing, that even I wouldn't support it. I think I could tolerate 6-7 storeys at this corner with a setback from Churchill and Richmond, to be honest.
I do agree that the area could use some more dwelling units, I just don't think that it's appropriate to replace the existing 2 buildings there with that monstrosity, especially when the next door lot is a much better candidate for redevelopment. There are many other more appropriate locations nearby to place large residential towers, like on McRae avenue and near Westboro Station (the area immediately north of the station). There's also the corner lot at Churchill and Scott where the old weightwatchers building use to be.

It would just be a shame to see that red brick building at the corner get torn down for an ugly condo building. I bought my first bike in that building when it was a small sports shop, so I suppose there's some sentimental value there for me.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
How so?
It's developments like this I'm referring to. There's more and more of them popping up along Richmond.

Personally, I would like to see more development like this.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
It's developments like this I'm referring to. There's more and more of them popping up along Richmond.

Personally, I would like to see more development like this.
While I'm not a huge fan of the current Q West development (it's not that bad but the design and material colours could be better), it's a lot better than what was there before. I don't miss what it used to be (small Canadian Tire with half the site as a parking lot, an empty lot of a former Canadian Tire gas station, and a 10 foot concrete wall across the street.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Feb 10, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
I do agree that the area could use some more dwelling units, I just don't think that it's appropriate to replace the existing 2 buildings there with that monstrosity, especially when the next door lot is a much better candidate for redevelopment. There are many other more appropriate locations nearby to place large residential towers, like on McRae avenue and near Westboro Station (the area immediately north of the station). There's also the corner lot at Churchill and Scott where the old weightwatchers building use to be.

It would just be a shame to see that red brick building at the corner get torn down for an ugly condo building. I bought my first bike in that building when it was a small sports shop, so I suppose there's some sentimental value there for me.
On further reflection, yeah I can agree. As long as the city ensures that adequate lands along Scott Street have generous zoning to allow large scale redevelopment, I'd be all in favour of a strict six story height limit on the traditional mainstreet portion of Richmond (from Tweedsmuir to Golden). It makes more sense to concentrate large scale development closer to the future LRT stations anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa