HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

How can anybody not like this HAHA this is a tower we've been begging for, for years and i do mean YEARS. This is something you would see in NY and CHI and exactly what we've crying about and wanting for so long. Its sexy as hell. This shows how tall and slender towers can work. I like this because this can easily slide into small lots along Broadway and the historic core. This was a big win.
Agreed--the Beaudry is sharp. I like how tall and thin it is, and I like the dark glass skin.

Oddly enough, one of the renderings of 1111 Sunset from Urbanize Los Angeles refers to the project as "Beaudry Terrace." Perhaps they are outdated?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:09 PM

Ain't no lie, I'm gonna be all over this place. Especially once the Bunker Hill subway stop opens.

Los Angeles Times, photo by JAY L. CLENDENIN.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:16 PM

^ what I like seeing when dropping by the dtla compilations page.

So this post isn't too much like one of the brief comments running under a lot of youtube vids....or a short generic reply buried in the middle of hundreds of others....I'll add this from the article...

Quote:
The Grand’s expansive shopping and dining component that will include outdoor decks overlooking Disney Concert Hall won’t be done until next year.

It has taken almost 20 yrs since the opening of disney hall to fill in the land east of it. It apparently will be a full 20 yrs by the time the most public areas in the Grand Av proj are completed & opened.

I'll add this emoji...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:46 PM

I like dealing with dtla not just as a series of new projs, new bldgs, new proposals....& a short opinion or brief comment on them....but also with its human angle too.

Quote:

Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times

Gehry also noted the sense of culmination and repeatedly grew wistful talking about Broad museum founder Eli Broad, who he both battled and collaborated with over decades.

"He and I had a hard time," Gehry said, but Broad championed him as the designer for Disney Hall and the Grand. "He got me here."

The architect said he recently cried watching a movie about Broad, who died last year. The city should name part of Grand Avenue after Broad, Gehry said.

"Even though he's not here, he's watching us," Gehry said. "You've got to pay homage to him."

^ I get a fuller sense of dtla....& LA overall....when I get beyond just the straight news angle or brief comment angle about new devlpt. That part of the article helps fill in all the angles. It's like a youtube vid, a link to stories or news reports or....one of my long winded posts.

Gehry's reaction is why I'm both more impatient with but also more hopeful about what's going on in dt. I don't hold it against such ppl if they cry....if they have a passion for or commitment to dtla.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 8:01 PM
你的媽媽

Since this is a significant project I think it deserves its own thread.

New thread: LOS ANGELES | 1111 Sunset Blvd | 572 + 408 + 211 FT | 49 + 30 + 17 FLOORS

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 10:08 PM

It's regrettable that each step of the improvement process in dtla takes so many yrs to complete....

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 11:45 PM

^Interesting video. Not sure how many projects Gehry has left in him... which makes me a bit sad. Hopefully his project on Ocean Ave in Santa Monica is realized.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
The shade at :47 though. "This is glass. This is...(...and walk away)." Hilarious

*Edit* Whoa, those pictures of the restaurant below Sopas! That looks like an epic place to dine!

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 1, 2022 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:26 PM

Oh mah gah like I said, I'm gonna be all over this place.

I can't wait to eat Basque cheesecake here. Indoor/outdoor dining with views of a Gehry landmark? Yes please!

Eater LA link: https://la.eater.com/2022/6/30/23189...ua-viva-inside

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
* That proj is another piece of the puzzle for dtla, one I've long wanted to see completed since 2003....when Disney hall opened. Or even longer ago considering the tinker toy parking lot that used to be there had been installed in the late 1960s.

Things like this....& the upcoming subway down wilshire blvd....are why LA...dtla....is becoming a more complete & balanced picture.

* this isn't too brief a reply or opinion post. I don't think it's too long winded too.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 7:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I can't wait to eat Basque cheesecake here. Indoor/outdoor dining with views of a Gehry landmark? Yes please!

Eater LA link: https://la.eater.com/2022/6/30/23189...ua-viva-inside
Beautiful! I think DTLA has got to be the undisputed top place in the US for urban outdoor dining. The combination of fresh produce, diverse cuisine, talented chefs, and year round excellent weather is unparalleled.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 8:40 PM

^ LA is like a combo of the coastal resort towns of southern france or spain combined with the bigger city completeness of a london, nyc, paris.

swank guide/youtube.com

https://youtu.be/2ovMVSsA8Gg

^ that's a youtube review of the somewhat new soho warehouse hotel in the arts dist...he describes it as 'an oasis in an industrial desert'. Although such parts of dt are managing to move to the next level in spite of their grittiness, such areas still will be boosted if they're primed more to make them friendlier.

LA's dwp sure could help with that...& as with the new subway being built down wilshire or the new 6th st bridge & park, the city had better keep things somewhat safe & clean. If not, a lot of investment will be hurt.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 9:05 PM

I've eaten at that restaurant at Soho Warehouse (Mandolin Taverna). Nice space. And good food. Here's their lamaçun:

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=citywatch;9665469]^ LA is like a combo of the coastal resort towns of southern france or spain combined with the bigger city completeness of a london, nyc, paris.

A lot of the hotel rooftop bars are going for an upscale take on a sleepy Mexican beach town vibe, good when the sun is out on a leisurely day with fruity cocktails. At least with the newer buildings. The older buildings tend to have a Paris-New York vibes that really lean into the buildings historic architecture, but these spaces are becoming fewer.

I except Jose Andres' restaurant to be a major success. He has a huge following because of Bazaar so Angelenos know him and trust him. Sometimes it's hard to tell what Angelenos will get excited about. We have Enrique Olivera, a Michelin-ranked chef, who opened in Arts District and that has barely made a dent in the food discussions.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 11:36 PM

^ whatever theme or vibe they're going for, I now better realize that climate & trends of history & culture do affect LA...dtla. Part of that is because of....okay....youtube vids. They help give a faster, easier glance at what's going on in dt & other places too.

I mentioned here awhile ago that managing rooftop bars or restaurants in other cities with different climates is probably less convenient or more difficult than it is in dtla & may be less able to pencil out. But where there's a will, there's a way.

My posts that tried to illustrate that aspect of dtla...showing how living in a super tall in a cold weather climate compared with living in a city like LA....must have set off the OT alarm bell.

I'm also able to see that cities all over the world are upping their game, all trying to get into the act. So a lot of what's occurring in dtla, such as an arts dist, can be seen in other cities too. That should keep the ppl of LA...of dtla...realizing there's nothing new under the sun, so they're less likely to overshoot their goal.

For instance, the membership hotel that sopas ate at is way over in the SE corner of dtla, way further from what I think of as the arts dist nearer little tokyo & city hall...further away from the action....so how it does with guests & customers....with sales volume....may not be the easiest of business plans.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:

PETER CHRISTIANSEN VALLI FOR THE GRAND BY GEHRY

Frank has always been interested in how this site interacts with and complements the Gehry concert hall,” says Phoebe Yee, executive vice president of design at Related California. The 45-story residential tower’s pool, for instance, is at eye level with the Walt Disney Concert Hall. “You get fantastic views of great architecture, and it really grounds you in that place,” adds Yee.

Architect David Rockwell’s Rockwell Group designed the residential tower’s public spaces. “We actually have more outdoor amenity space, 12,000 square feet, than we do indoor amenity space, 10,000 square feet,” says Yee, detailing that the building’s outdoor areas including BBQ areas and open-air workout spaces in the 2,400-square-foot fitness center. “We’re also going to have a full-time person, officially called the lifestyle manager, who is programming events for our residents,” says Yee.

Eventually, in 2023, a retail and restaurant area (164,000 square feet in total) will be completed along with a public gathering space with landscaped terraces, all of which will be located between and at the base of the two towers.

It's too bad that much of the public space apparently won't be opening until next yr. I hope the Colburn concert hall proj to the east of it breaks ground before then.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 6:07 AM

Quote:
That's the type of links I like seeing here! Notice how this part of the article is a real head scratcher.
Quote:
* this isn't too brief a reply or opinion post. I don't think it's too long winded too.
Quote:
^ what I like seeing when dropping by the dtla compilations page.

So this post isn't too much like one of the brief comments running under a lot of youtube vids....or a short generic reply buried in the middle of hundreds of others....I'll add this from the article...
Thank you for grading all those comments here. So happy to know that you are finally satisfied.

I am very happy about 1111 Sunset Blvd too. 2022 will be a great year.
I apologize for my brief reply. I am still at work. Forgive me.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Agreed--the Beaudry is sharp. I like how tall and thin it is, and I like the dark glass skin.

Oddly enough, one of the renderings of 1111 Sunset from Urbanize Los Angeles refers to the project as "Beaudry Terrace." Perhaps they are outdated?

Is 1111 Sunset now under construction? Is this on the location of the old MWD (Metropolitan Water District) HQ, where they had a big fountain in front? I like this project. I also like the way the "Beaudry" tower next to Pelli's 777 Figueroa tower turned out. They compliment eachother.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:09 PM

Hope to see 1111 Sunset rise This is the type of density we need around the Bunker Hill station. Think Brookfield’s residential tower proposal at 333 S Hope.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Thank you for grading all those comments here. So happy to know that you are finally satisfied.
I appreciate that....actually, if an spper is at work...& doesn't want to look like someone goofing off....or is stuck texting here using a cell phone (phone pads are hard to key into!)....all is forgiven.

I'll avoid posting a brief reply or short opinion here. But it's another vid. Sorry...my bad.

Video Link

but this post isn't too long winded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations